I'm done with PC Gaming cant fix this stupid problem !

Exoclap

I am not sure if anyone will be able to help me but I have no other options... I've tried everywhere and everything. This is probably my last post about this problem since no one seems to know what the issue that I'm experiencing is, but here I go... This is probably gonna be a long post so if you guys can read everything I really do appreciate it.

I am really stressed right now since I'm battling this problem for about 2 months since I got this new computer. The problem is that my games simply do not run smoothly. The best way I can describe it is that when I am in game, moving the camera around, be it on an FPS or RTS game as it affects them all, causes this effect to be produced which is stuttering. Basically when I move my mouse around the gameplay feels really choppy/jumpy like I was playing with 40-50 FPS. I could have 60 fps, or 250, it makes no difference the problem is still there. The video does this thing where it's like - "smooth, skip, smooth, skip, smooth, skip" consistently. It skips at the same rate of time every time (once every half a second or so).

Naturally my first actions were the usual. I re-downloaded my graphics drivers, and did a clean install of windows. However this did not make a difference. I will mention that V-sync doe alleviate the problem. The other thing to note is that if I am in a small area or room on a game and there is not much to render, the problem is also greatly minimized then. I thought that the problem was appearing because I have only 1 stick of 8 GB of RAM so I created another thread on this forum and people assured me the problem is not RAM. I don't know if this contributes to the problem but when I have V-Sync disabled I see white (almost transparent) lines across my monitor which are subtle but I can still notice them. I see them more if there is a lot of stuff happening on the screen. So a few days after I got my computer I decided to monitor my hardware during gameplay. So I downloaded a simple non demanding FPS shooter called Warface and an MMORPG called Runescape 3. The reason I went with Warface and Runescape is because my computer is powerful enough to easily max out the graphics on this games (The results of the tests are below).

Due to the large amount of time spent without an enjoyable gaming experience, and money poured in with no return I am reaching the end of my fuse. I came to the PC with high hopes, but have had a truly miserable experience, and so this post is my last call for help.
I would be immeasurably grateful if someone could help me in this time of need, and give me any advice you can, all of it will be appreciated. Thank you so much for reading all of this. If you need any additional information please do not hesitate to ask.

PC SPECS:

ASUS Gtx 970 STRIX 4GB OS

Intel core i5 4690k quad core

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

1 stick of 8 GB RAM

650W Corsair Power supply

T221WA BENQ Monitor (Pretty old)

UPDATE: I also forgot to mention that weird sounds are coming out of my graphics card which is probably coil whining. I don't know if coil whining can cause the issue that I'm having right now but still its worth mentioning.

RESULTS: http://imgur.com/a/aJFlu

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would try using a different graphics card first, even if you can borrow one from somebody.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Does v sync completely fix your problem? because if that's the case, then it's mostly due to screen tearing because you're rendering frames higher than the refresh rate. make sure your refresh rate for your monitor is at its highest available value.

Exoclap

Does v sync completely fix your problem? because if that's the case, then it's mostly due to screen tearing because you're rendering frames higher than the refresh rate. make sure your refresh rate for your monitor is at its highest available value.

The refersh rate is set to max which is 60 Hz. V-Sync does slightly elevate the problem but it doesn't fix it completely. The problem is 100% not screen tearing. Its more likely to be stutter since I have high fps but still experience choppy/jumpy gameplay when I'm moving my camera around.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Would it be possible for you to upload some gameplay to youtube? it would help to see the problem, before trying to fix it.

Have you experienced this problem before on any other devices?

The GPU renders two images, about the top half and the bottom half of the screen, without V-Sync you can often see horizontal lines as these images are displayed at different time, V-Sync on will wait for the entire top and bottom halves to be rendered before displaying them, so you don't get screen tear.

Edit:

Turning on V-Sync will make the game more demanding, please turn on V-Sync and adjust your settings so you are getting a stable 60fps all the time, you can use something like Fraps to see real time fps and tell me if the games play more smoothly or not.

Last edited:

Exoclap

Would it be possible for you to upload some gameplay to youtube? it would help to see the problem, before trying to fix it.

Have you experienced this problem before on any other devices?

The GPU renders two images, about the top half and the bottom half of the screen, without V-Sync you can often see horizontal lines as these images are displayed at different time, V-Sync on will wait for the entire top and bottom halves to be rendered before displaying them, so you don't get screen tear.

Edit:

Turning on V-Sync will make the game more demanding, please turn on V-Sync and adjust your settings so you are getting a stable 60fps all the time, you can use something like Fraps to see real time fps and tell me if the games play more smoothly or not.

Uploading some footage to Youtube right now. I did not experience this on any other computer/device and the problem that I'm having is 100% not screen tear. Its that my gameplay is not as smooth as it should be it is choppy/stuttery. I've never had problems with screen tearing so far. The weird thing is when I was recording my gameplay with Fraps you can barely see the choppy gameplay in the video. I turned on V-Sync in nvidia control panel and in the game and as I mentioned before it got a little bit better but it definitely did not fix it completely. The FPS doesn't drop when I'm playing a game like Runescape or league of legends.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't trust programs to give you correct voltage ratings. You would want to go into the bios under hardware monitor to see what it shows.. Even if it is correct, the 12 volt rail is within 10 percent of specs.

Exoclap

I don't trust programs to give you correct voltage ratings. You would want to go into the bios under hardware monitor to see what it shows.. Even if it is correct, the 12 volt rail is within 10 percent of specs.

I'm really starting to lose hope at this point I don't know what to do anymore. I used integrated graphics card so I know my Gtx 970 STRIX is not the problem. The memtest that I've ran 30 min ago did 10-15 loops and no errors were reported so I don't think the RAM can be the cause of this as well. Only thing that I have left to test is motherboard, CPU, PSU and Monitor.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i would try a different monitor first if you have access to one. If computer works great otherwise, probably wouldn't be motherboard or cpu. Can you check to see what bios version is installed?

Exoclap

i would try a different monitor first if you have access to one. If computer works great otherwise, probably wouldn't be motherboard or cpu. Can you check to see what bios version is installed?

Used the command wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion in CMD and SMBIOSBIOSVERSION is V1.11.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If thats true, then you are running one of the original bios versions, which means its way outdated and over 2 years old.

1.D is the latest version earlier this year.

Here is the latest version.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

You'll need the very first file. There have been a few vga compatibility fixes since original bios.

If you run cpuz and click on the mainboard tab it will also tell you what vios version is installed.

Exoclap

If thats true, then you are running one of the original bios versions, which means its way outdated and over 2 years old.

1.D is the latest version earlier this year.

Here is the latest version.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

You'll need the very first file. There have been a few vga compatibility fixes since original bios.

If you run cpuz and click on the mainboard tab it will also tell you what vios version is installed.

Just updated the bios and now it says that my bios version is 1.13. Nothing has changed and the gameplay is the same :/ Any other ideas ?