I'm done with PC Gaming cant fix this stupid problem !

Darren

Staff member
This is a complete shot in the dark but look through your BIOS for a High Precision Event Timer (HPET) option. If it's on, disable it. This basically has to do with how the board keeps track of time. I've heard various reports across the internet of it having a noticeable impact on smoothness in games and can help reduce stuttering. I've personally noticed some difference with it off, and CPU benchmarks to back that up. Worth a shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer

Also, try messing around with your RAM speeds/voltage/timing. My RAM settings defaulted to really strange values and after I manually set them I noticed much smoother gameplay.

Exoclap

What temps do you experience on the CPU and on the GPU while idling and while at load?

The temps of the CPU is 43 degrees and GPU is 55 degrees while not doing anything and just browsing the web. While at load you can see the screenshots that I posted before. Messed around with control panel and in game settings. Tried some other games. Ran benchmarking programs like Valley and Heaven and appart from some frame skips/stutters the benchmarking was pretty smooth. But in other games its terrible. I feel like the stutters/frame skips happen when graphics card is rendering terrain. For example in warface which is a shooting game if I move around I notice a lot of stuttering/frame skipping but if im in a room and i move around my camera the problem almost seems to go away.

Exoclap

Just found some really good footage on how the issue that I'm having looks like. For example here when he gets on the horse pay close attention later on in the video. You will see that the camera is hitching/frames are skipping

also here is another video which clearly shows the problem that I'm having its not that problematic like the guy is showing in the video but its still definitely noticeable.

here the guy has pretty smooth gameplay which I want to have as well but as you can see there are points in the video where the camera jumps/hitches as I mentioned above.

here the stuttering is really visible and I'm experiencing similar stuttering as shown in this video and videos above.

And lastly here is the last footage
as you can see the girl is having a pretty smooth gameplay experience but she still notices that something is up when she moves her camera around.

So I hope that might help you guys out to know with what kind of problem I have been dealing with the past 3 months now.

Exoclap

If thats true, then you are running one of the original bios versions, which means its way outdated and over 2 years old.

1.D is the latest version earlier this year.

Here is the latest version.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

You'll need the very first file. There have been a few vga compatibility fixes since original bios.

If you run cpuz and click on the mainboard tab it will also tell you what vios version is installed.

So after a bunch of testing and searching on other forums I haven't found anything that solved my problem and I'm thinking of giving up. The only thing that I've noticed is when I'm on twitch or Youtube watching a guy for example playing Battlefield 1 I see the stuttering/choppy gameplay as well. Really really werid...

Darren

Staff member
Did you try this?

This is a complete shot in the dark but look through your BIOS for a High Precision Event Timer (HPET) option. If it's on, disable it. This basically has to do with how the board keeps track of time. I've heard various reports across the internet of it having a noticeable impact on smoothness in games and can help reduce stuttering. I've personally noticed some difference with it off, and CPU benchmarks to back that up. Worth a shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer

Also, try messing around with your RAM speeds/voltage/timing. My RAM settings defaulted to really strange values and after I manually set them I noticed much smoother gameplay.

What OS is it? If it's 10 make sure the game recorder in the Xbox app isn't on.

mistersprinkles

Possibilities

-Faulty graphics cable
-Wrong refresh rate set in control panel

thats all I can think of I'm afraid.

Please try a different monitor and cable before you give up, and make sure the refresh rate is correctly set.

Btw this is a shot in the dark. Is there any chance you are hooked up to an HDTV and you have the 120Hz or 240Hz feature turned on?

Ok never mind I've seen your videos now.

Almost definitely a system timer problem. This problem is coming from your CPU, not your GPU.
Make sure your Baseclock is at exactly 100Mhz, turn off the High Precision Event Timer.

In Windows, go into power in control panel, select high performance, and make sure the minimum CPU state is 100%.

Let me know if that works.

You need to try a different power supply as well.

lincsman

Has anyone thought that the monitor is the problem? I think it's the monitor possibly mind you I didn't read all of the posts but might be that.

mistersprinkles

384ba4b9091f31ac5248f23e37173922.jpg

I have failed.