I'm hoping I'm not following a trend here...

Pyrolocks

I've noticed a pattern amongst the female generated posts on here and I'm hoping not to continue it.
I need a new laptop because the video card (or I suppose the motherboard) is going up. USBs don't always respond and watching videos usually results in a blue screen informing me that bad things went down.
It's a few years old and I know I've abused it. Never cleaned it, used to use it in bed without something to vent the heat... plus my ex did something crazy to it and it has two versions of the same operating system separated by a partition. *sighs*
The windows logo seizes when I boot up, etc. It didn't even seem worth the effort of changing the name back from what he set it to... Penisputer.

So, if anyone thinks it would be worth trying to save my poor Penisputer, speak now.

Otherwise, I need a replacement. That's a whole 'nother can of worms. I need it primarily for work (basic windows 365 office, nothing fancy) but I'd prefer it to be able to run games like League of Legends without breaking a sweat.

I need a lot of storage space and am a million tab web surfer.

I'd like to have a disc drive/burner but I do have an external one.

My budget is $1000 but I'd go a hair higher to get one that's advanced enough to not be a paperweight by this time next year...

I ordered the Toshiba Satellite S55-B5155 from Walmart but was seriously disappointed. It powered up but wouldn't boot. Wasn't even trying. Basic troubleshooting didn't work so I returned it. Now Im back to square 1... whispering sweet nothings to my dying laptop when I need to print anything...

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I'd suggest Lenovo, HP or maybe Dell. It can be hard finding a laptop with an optical drive these days unless you look at a business model. The machines with the disc drives tend to be a bit thicker and heavier for obvious reasons. Is weight or portability a factor in your purchase? Once we know that we can recommend specific models rather than throw brand names at you. :)

Pyrolocks

Is weight or portability a factor in your purchase? Once we know that we can recommend specific models rather than throw brand names at you. :)

My old laptop is massive and barely fits in my bookbags. I think it's a 16.5" so anything that size or smaller is good. Weight is not an issue. I'm not going to be carrying it to or from work, just for working remote from home. I want a laptop mostly so I can use it I'm my room or potentially be social. It could be a briefcase for all I care so long as it doesn't require a desk. :D

spirit

Staff member
My old laptop is massive and barely fits in my bookbags. I think it's a 16.5" so anything that size or smaller is good. Weight is not an issue. I'm not going to be carrying it to or from work, just for working remote from home. I want a laptop mostly so I can use it I'm my room or potentially be social. It could be a briefcase for all I care so long as it doesn't require a desk. :D
Yeah maybe have a look at the Dell Latitudes or Lenovo ThinkPads and see what takes your fancy. There's some good deals if you look used too. I'm not in the US so I can't say what they're like but Newegg have a lot of good refurbished laptops which are very affordable and well-specced.

Pyrolocks

I was looking at newegg. I've always gotten my laptops at Walmart because I get an employee discount but after the last one showed up dead, I'm looking for other avenues. I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You can check out the Dell Business Factory Outlet. You can get some nice deals on open box or refurbished laptops that will perform leaps and bounds better than a $400 Walmart laptop.

Look into the Dell Latitude E6530 if you want a 15.6" laptop, otherwise look at the E6430.

An i5 and 4-8GB of RAM will be fine for you. Hard drive size doesn't matter but you can find them with SSD's which will speed up performance.

Pyrolocks

Could you not try and format your Penisputer?
Would that possibly fix the crashes? The intent of the partition was to save my stuff so I could do just that... 3 years ago... lol. Ive been waiting until I replace it before I go doing anything major.

lincsman

Ok, I'm on here so I'll throw in my 2 cents. Unless you're not doing anything but facebook and youtube don't buy it from Wal-mart. As you mentioned you want it for office and League of Legends, which means don't buy one from walmart. I'm in Canada and here my all-time favorite computer store is Memory Express but I'm not sure if there is any in the states. Best Buy actually isn't too bad a place to get computers believe it or not. Although L.O.L. doesn't require much I'd still suggest a laptop with a dedicated video card, meaning not an APU or onboard graphics (it would say Nvidia or AMD/ATI graphics for a dedicated card, as in Nvidia GTX 870 or ATI HD 7500 for example). For brand yeah I agree Lenovo or Dell is a good choice, along with ASUS as I think they are a good laptop brand from what I know. ASUS is good for desktops parts I know for sure. As for your old laptop and salvaging data, I suggest putting the hard drive into a desktop computer as a secondary and getting the data that way, or put it onto a flash drive if possible. So yeah I hope that helps.

Pyrolocks

Ok, I'm on here so I'll throw in my 2 cents. Unless you're not doing anything but facebook and youtube don't buy it from Wal-mart. As you mentioned you want it for office and League of Legends, which means don't buy one from walmart. I'm in Canada and here my all-time favorite computer store is Memory Express but I'm not sure if there is any in the states. Best Buy actually isn't too bad a place to get computers believe it or not. Although L.O.L. doesn't require much I'd still suggest a laptop with a dedicated video card, meaning not an APU or onboard graphics (it would say Nvidia or AMD/ATI graphics for a dedicated card, as in Nvidia GTX 870 or ATI HD 7500 for example). For brand yeah I agree Lenovo or Dell is a good choice, along with ASUS as I think they are a good laptop brand from what I know. ASUS is good for desktops parts I know for sure. As for your old laptop and salvaging data, I suggest putting the hard drive into a desktop computer as a secondary and getting the data that way, or put it onto a flash drive if possible. So yeah I hope that helps.

I was thinking of checking Best Buy but we definitely don't have any Memory Express near me. I have an external hard drive to get my data off the old one so it'll be easy. I didn't even know you could put a laptop hard drive into a desktop.
A friend at work told me to avoid Dell but I was very happy with my Alienware. They did recommend Lenovo though. My sister bought an ASUS and within the first year, she got a weird line down her screen. It's not cracked and I doubt it's software. I want something that can take a little abuse for those moments when you open your car door and watch your laptop bag fall out. My old toshiba (penisputer) is a champ but I guess Toshiba doesn't make them like they used to.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
A friend at work told me to avoid Dell
99% of consumers buy an Inspiron, XPS, or Alienware. Those are consumer computers. The Latitude and Precision models are business laptops, which are built a million times better and more sturdy than any consumer laptop.

The same goes for Lenovo. I recommend Lenovo ThinkPads over any Yoga or other laptops they sell.

Pyrolocks

I recommend Lenovo ThinkPads over any Yoga or other laptops they sell.
I think all the company issued laptops we have here are Thinkpads.
I managed to crash my supervisor's within 5 minutes of holding it. I got it to boot up with compliments and kind words (and established my insanity with the boss) and he's had only a few miscellaneous issues since then and he travels with his all the time. So at least I know it can handle being jostled a bit.
I'm willing to bet his is an older hand-me-down slapped together by our poor overburdened IT guy. If I got a new one, it wouldn't have issues playing league, would it?

Punk

Staff member
Do you want a high end laptop or you just plan on playing Lol and some other non-GPU-demanding games? 1000$ is more than enough if that's the case, I would even consider going mac with that budget if you just plan on doing basic stuff. But, if you want to stay with Windows, I'd consider a Lenovo or Asus.

Mac: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8597&cm_re=macbook-_-2SN-0001-000M1-_-Product
Lenovo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319808
Asus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=09Z-01SB-00023

These are just examples.

Pyrolocks

Do you want a high end laptop or you just plan on playing Lol and some other non-GPU-demanding games?
At this point, I barely have time to play games but if I did, I'd likely jump on league. Possibly minecraft. I guess I want something that I have the option of playing somewhat demanding games but I mostly want something that will last.
I'm not big on Macs though.

Punk

Staff member
Macs are a good choice for longevity but I can understand if you don't like the OS (I don't either :) ).
That being said, both the laptops I listed will last five years or more if you take good care of them.

For demanding games you'll need a powerful laptop but if you only play Minecraft and LoL you'll only need a 500-600$ laptop.

Pyrolocks

I liked both the Lenovo one and the ASUS but I noticed a difference in the optical drives on those two. What's the difference between DVD±R/RW and DVDRW?

Punk

Staff member
I liked both the Lenovo one and the ASUS but I noticed a difference in the optical drives on those two. What's the difference between DVD±R/RW and DVDRW?

None, a DVDR is a read-only DVD meaning once you've burned data on it you cannot write on it again and a RW is a rewritable DVD.