Intel to discontinue Core i7 920 & 940 CPUs

2048Megabytes

So it's not a bad thing that I just blew £500 on an i7 rig and have only got half the parts?

I would not ever do that in the future. In my opinion when you buy components it is good to assemble the system and run it to see if any of the components are defective. If any are defective and have been sitting around for a few months you may not be able to return them to the place you bought them from. Instead you will have to deal with the manufacturer.

Another reason I would not buy components and not assemble a system is prices are always dropping on computer components as time goes on. The only time I could justify doing this is if a really really good sale is going on with different parts (I am talking 25 percent off normal price or more).

i7 920 and 940 processors are being discontinued around the end of summer.

funkysnair

VIP Member
I would not ever do that in the future. In my opinion when you buy components it is good to assemble the system and run it to see if any of the components are defective. If any are defective and have been sitting around for a few months you may not be able to return them to the place you bought them from. Instead you will have to deal with the manufacturer.

Another reason I would not buy components and not assemble a system is prices are always dropping on computer components as time goes on. The only time I could justify doing this is if a really really good sale is going on with different parts (I am talking 25 percent off normal price or more).

i7 920 and 940 processors are being discontinued around the end of summer.

i have the bare parts to check it all over, just waiting for delivery!

i am building a monster lol

even so my rig wont take months to build, more like a couple of weeks

bcoffee20

i think intel is stupid for doing this but then again i dont know to much about the i5 and the new socket they're using. how come they didnt just develope these at the same time instead of pretty much screwing a bunch of there new customers that just bought the lga1366 socket? oh well hopefully amd comes out with a great processor soon and gets somemore of the market share so its not like 80-20 anymore

Machin3

I was reading about this new Nehalem processor and its kinda of interesting because of the fact that it has a gpu and pci express support built into it. The thing is, how does this work?

Bodaggit23

i think intel is stupid for doing this but then again i dont know to much about the i5 and the new socket they're using. how come they didnt just develope these at the same time instead of pretty much screwing a bunch of there new customers that just bought the lga1366 socket?

They're not screwing anyone. You can still get socket 1366 hardware.
Just don't expect the prices to ever come down to "mainstream".

The Core i7 will be comparable to the Phenom II platform, as far as only
running Dual Channel DDR3.

Prices will hopefully be competitive also, along with performance.? lol

tlarkin

VIP Member
Looks like Intel is gearing up for some money making since they owe the EU like a billion dollars, LOL!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like Intel is gearing up for some money making since they owe the EU like a billion dollars, LOL!

I think it will actualy do reverse effect and make people look into alternatives = AMD :D

I might also go AMD next time,Theyre catching up and their prices are decent.

Euklid

Funny. Because I think Q6600 is more power than I will ever need.
I think I will have this Q6600 computer until the end of my life.

On a separate note, I don't intend to live very long. But a good 10
or 20 years - at least.

bomberboysk

Now I'm confused. Should I still buy my i7 920 rig? Is this good or bad? Wtf happens if ever the processors fails? What other processor than the 965 will fit the 1366 socket.. the mobo I want is a P6T Deluxe V2 and it only says "Core i7" in the cpu type...

I'm on newegg right now and theres only Core i7's in the 1366 section... lol.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6816129

The chances of a processor just failing are pretty much nill, and even then, you still have a 3 year(i think) warranty with intel.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
It's nothing more than another Intel profit scheme. They'll continue to release chips on the 1366 platform, but those chips - the 950 and 975 - are gonna be crazy expensive, and the 965 will continue to be affordable at $1,000. :p

I'm gonna sell my C0 and get a D0.

Jamin43

banned
It's nothing more than another Intel profit scheme. They'll continue to release chips on the 1366 platform, but those chips - the 950 and 975 - are gonna be crazy expensive, and the 965 will continue to be affordable at $1,000. :p

I don't know. Maybe in the short term - til they move off the 775 platform - but I don't see how any company can sell enough 1,000 cpus to make it a worthy market. I wouldn't be surprised to see $300.00 CPU's in future years for the 1366 platforms. Probably won't ever see em at 75 - 150 though. Just my guess. Nobody really knows til time goes by.

I'm good for next 3 years anyway - so not really concerned about it. May be building a whole new PC by then anyway.

2048Megabytes

Why is Intel naming their new processor the i5? Is it going to have five cores in the processor chip?

It makes no sense to me why Intel would release a processor called i7 then release a faster processor called the i5.

2048Megabytes

So I'm guessin if I planned on building an i7 in a few months I should buy the CPU now to be safe?

Intel is going to keep producing the i7 920 and 940 processors until the end of the summer. The price may drop more on the i7 920 processors so I wouldn't buy now. Buy all of your components at the same time so you can find out very soon after your purchase if you have any defective parts.

Jamin43

banned
Why is Intel naming their new processor the i5? Is it going to have five cores in the processor chip?

It makes no sense to me why Intel would release a processor called i7 then release a faster processor called the i5.

If you're in the Beltway / Rockville Area of MD. might want to check out Microcenter. They're out of stock right now - but selling the i7's at 229. Can't imagine the CPU going much lower than that ( although they have gone to 199 a few times )

http://microcenter.com/single_produ..._medium=leader_bnr&utm_campaign=hmpg_intel_i7