Internet problem.

RandomHero34

My internet wont work on my computer but the internet lets my play PS3 online. Whats the problem. Im guessing my ethernet card. What do you guys think.Thanks.

eye-Q

yeap! check first of all your rooter, then check Ethernet's drivers and install them again if it is necessary. my brother had this problem and when i re-installed the drivers for the Ethernet card it was ok.

RandomHero34

the router and modem are ok, i tried to reinstall the drivers and nothing worked. When i open up network conections it says that a cable is unpluged. i checked all cables. nothing. this happened all of a sudden without any changes to the computer or router/modem. Now what?

eye-Q

check if there is any dust before plugging the ethernet cable, it is a bit strange since you check the cables to received that message. so if you reinstall the drivers and the problem is still remains, i will suggest you to borrow a pcmcia card with RJ45 and try to connect from there, just to check if the problem is from your ethernet card or not, or you can try with wireless.

RandomHero34

dust is not the problem, i took out what i thought was the ethernet card but im not sure if it was. It has 2 regular phone jacks on it. i took that out and nothing happened. I plug my ethernet cable into the back of my computer. You cant take that jack out. when i plug in the cable it should have 2 lights blinking but none are on. Im not sure if this means anything but i have a dell and it has lights A B C D and they are all lite up. Should they be? i dont ever remember them all being lite up. Someone please help. Do i need a ethernet card? i tried the drivers from the disks my computer came with. Are there other drivers i should try?

eye-Q

you said you tried to reinstall the drivers and nothing happens. have you tried to connect via a PCMCIA ethernet card??

RandomHero34

no i have not tried. i dont have one i could borrow like you said. is PCIMCIA just like a regular ethernet card from bestbuy or is it something different? im not sure what PCIMCIA means so please bear with me.

holdenssx

eye-Q, PCMIA cards are for laptops, PCI cards are for desktops. Before buying anything remotely expensive, try using a different Ethernet cable.

Let me know if that works, if not, we can try a few things.

holdenssx

eye-Q, PCMIA cards are for laptops, PCI cards are for desktops. Before buying anything remotely expensive, try using a different Ethernet cable.

Let me know if that works, if not, we can try a few things.

RandomHero34

im at work right now and cant try anything until i get home, so i would like as many ideas as you have b/c i need my internet back up asap.

I have a modem and a router. I took the router out of the loop and just used the modem with a different cable which did nothing. now what?

cohen

im at work right now and cant try anything until i get home, so i would like as many ideas as you have b/c i need my internet back up asap.

I have a modem and a router. I took the router out of the loop and just used the modem with a different cable which did nothing. now what?

have you contacted your ISP???