Internet Rumor.

PC eye

banned
I've noticed a large slowdown at times just getting onto newegg that being only one vendor. With the rapid increase as growth industry people are conducting more of their personal banking and other things online. Then the high school aged kid gets a new pc and online connection for a birthday or holiday gift. What happens? One more user online! That results in more online traffic overall.

PC eye

banned
The Information Highway needs expansion just like an old two lane in each direction roadway would need a third for each in order to handle increases in traffic volume. When I was in those young years the only people running any computers looked at large reels of magnetic tape. Now people are messaging with their Iphones and sending text messages and photos with their cell phones. That still has to go through some ISP somewhere.

PohTayToez

Sounds like another Y2K scare... I don't have any worries. Somehow I don't think ISPs have looked over this.

PC eye

banned
Anything is possible especially with older communications systems. Digital and fibre optics saw the old analog system replaced. But even there there are eventual limitations. The article seen there discusses brownouts which are temporary situations where a bottle neck could briefly stall things.

axgrinder73

I don't think that we will have too much to worry about. IPv6 will be out in the us before
long making it easier to obtain IP address. ISP's in return will want an edge on the competition. Therefore they will make the investments necessary to attract new customers, as well as keep the customers they currently have happy.

Geoff

VIP Member
They aren't talking about it until 2010, theres nothing we can really do towards it anyways. IPv6 should help out somewhat.

PC eye

banned
Even newer technologies can see glitches at times until the bugs worked out of those. The introduction of wireless routers alone has seen some interesting ptoblems according to service techs.

tlarkin

VIP Member
This is a ploy. No ISP uses more than 10% of their current bandwidth, if they wanted to you could throttle it up. They are just scared that their infrastructure won't hold with the market as it grows. This also gives them an excuse to charge more for their services so they can 'expand' their infrastructure.

Take a look at Japan, in their major cities the whole place is WiFi and they have a fiber back bone running to each major building. So, when you rent an apartment in say Tokyo, the building is already jacked into the fiber backbone and they run that fiber to the tenant. So, you have fiber in your house. Not so much of that in rural Japan, but in the major cities it is very common. They had to rebuild their infrastructure after WWII so it is more modern than ours in our major cities in the US.

They have been trying to charge more and tax for this stuff for a long time. They just haven't found their angle yet. Companies really want to charge you every time you use your email. They would do it too, if they could get away with it. This is there way to charge more.

PC eye

banned
The ads I get a kick out of are those like Netzero's Hi-Speed dialup? Dialup is still 56k! :p They see you coming!

PohTayToez

The ads I get a kick out of are those like Netzero's Hi-Speed dialup? Dialup is still 56k! :p They see you coming!

Well, they do do some things to speed it up. It's not just like they're just relabeling regular dial-up. Everything you view goes through a proxy server which they use to cache and compress certain data, so it is a bit faster.

PC eye

banned
With dsl here the distance of 150miles sees some 2,320kb/s and 727kbps for upload time. During daylight and early evening hours you can be sure that drops quite a bit due to the volume of traffic on the ISP's servers then.

chrislo

I think its a load of s**t. Except when my router screwed with my connection, and a few times the sites/servers I went to were down or experiencing problems I had few problems. BTW, this is rare for me. Most of the time I can go anywhere on the internet without problems. I just think people thrive on suffering and they get off on it when everyone is worried. This is a way they can achieve that. As more and more people use the internet its capacity will grow and grow. The internet is now an important part of our society so I doubt it will be allowed to fall apart.

Dial up still exist in the US?

Last edited:
I think its a load of s**t. Except when my router screwed with my connection, and a few times the sites/servers I went to were down or experiencing problems I had few problems. BTW, this is rare for me. Most of the time I can go anywhere on the internet without problems. I just think people thrive on suffering and they get off on it when everyone is worried. This is a way they can achieve that. As more and more people use the internet its capacity will grow and grow. The internet is now an important part of our society so I doubt it will be allowed to fall apart.

dude that rumor is a load of crap

PC eye

banned

Television still is! And that's where you see all of the lame ads boasting claims of faster internet service there. Not everyone has cable internet service available. And some dsl services are through the roof. That unfortunately leaves the old 56k modem for many.

chrislo

Television still is! And that's where you see all of the lame ads boasting claims of faster internet service there. Not everyone has cable internet service available. And some dsl services are through the roof. That unfortunately leaves the old 56k modem for many.

I thought Broadband was available to over 90% of people now? I mean even out where I am I got the option of Cable or DSL and I live out in the country.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
High speed dialup does exist, by multi-linking 2 dial-up modems you can double the 56kb (actual 53kbps or less) bandwidth. You'd need two phone lines, and the ISP would need to support the option, not to mention the cost... It sucks but it's there.

We were using dial-up half a year ago, it's really not terrible, apart form DL'ing and Ul'ing. Surfing was slower, but not atrociously such. I would never go back though, kill me first..