Internet Rumor.

addle_brains

Filesharing, i hear, is a bit of a concern for ISPs because it's such a huge part of internet activity (downloading a linux distro of over 8GB or something.) I heard that some ISPs do throttle common filesharing ports, so that's why you should set up Azureus yourself and choose a better one.

PC eye

banned
Wothout cable here the option coming up soon will be fiber optics over cable or dsl. That runs faster then a T-1 line as far as bandwidth. When you have multiple pcs on one router that should be a real plus there.

Motoxrdude

The rumor is true. With the current infrastructure the way it is, it will soon get overloaded and start to choke everyone's internet speed. But the beauty of technology is that it always evolves and adapts so we have nothing to worry about :)

PC eye

banned
As populations grow and initial application of new technologies takes place you can't simply rule anything out so fast. When one ISP makes a changeover doesn't always mean all ISP's will do the same immediately. But you also pay more for the latest when it does become available initially.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The infrastructure is already in place, we have fiber running all over the US. The problem is that they want to charge more but can't figure out a way to do it with out having tons of class action lawsuits filed against them. Rebuilding infrastructure costs millions if not more and could justify charging for email.

On top of that there are governments out there just wanting and waiting for the ability tax the internet and tax emails. They hate the fact you don't pay sales tax online and they hate the fact you don't get taxed for using email.

Once they figure out a way to justify charges and taxes everyone will be charged and taxed, it is how capitalism works.

PC eye

banned
You won't have to worry like AT+T now is since Verizon is going to unlock it's wireless network for IPods and things like that next year.
Verizon Announces Plans to Unlock Network

Early next year, the number two wireless carrier in the country "will publish the technical standards the development community will need to design products to interface with the Verizon Wireless network," Verizon said Tuesday.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ZDM/story?id=3919495

Opening things up for 3rd parities is one way to see things being charged for. Verizon there will simply be the landlord while the 3rd parties set the prices on services.

And one more thing? DSL going foobar soon with one service!
Compare FiOS to Cable
Who Wins—FiOS vs. Cable?
You be the judge.
http://www22.verizon.com/content/co...wins+fios+vs+cable/who+wins+fios+vs+cable.htm

Once fiber optics are all set to go Verizon plans on dumping dsl totally from it's list pf internet services.

Last edited:

chrislo

Isn't that considered ISDN?

I haven't used dial up in over 5 years now and I still remembered how slow my connection was even for web browsing. When I got Cable and tried Internet Explorer I instantly noticed the difference. Plus if you are into multiplayer video games, streaming audio/video, and downloading (Me) the service is a must. I would never go back, or even wish dial up on my worse enemy.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Isn't that considered ISDN?

I haven't used dial up in over 5 years now and I still remembered how slow my connection was even for web browsing. When I got Cable and tried Internet Explorer I instantly noticed the difference. Plus if you are into multiplayer video games, streaming audio/video, and downloading (Me) the service is a must. I would never go back, or even wish dial up on my worse enemy.

Yup I agree, I can live with out cable TV, and have done so for years. I can not however, live with out high speed internet.

I still don't have cable TV, and don't really want to get it anytime soon

chrislo

Yup I agree, I can live with out cable TV, and have done so for years. I can not however, live with out high speed internet.

I still don't have cable TV, and don't really want to get it anytime soon

I love Digital Cable, I can never go back. Especially now that we have a DVR, that thing is one of the best inventions for the TV since the VCR.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I love Digital Cable, I can never go back. Especially now that we have a DVR, that thing is one of the best inventions for the TV since the VCR.

why TV sucks, I like maybe 3 shows and three channels

heroes, the office, my name is earl, 30 rock - that is all the TV i watch

I have blockbuster online, so I get 5 to 15 dvds a month (depending on how busy i am)

I also like comedy central, cartoon network and discovery.

That hardly quantifies buying cable, the rest of TV sucks. So I would be paying around $100/month if I added cable, and only watching three channels, the other channels I watch are network.

oh and i watch sports but that is mostly network too

chrislo

why TV sucks, I like maybe 3 shows and three channels

heroes, the office, my name is earl, 30 rock - that is all the TV i watch

I have blockbuster online, so I get 5 to 15 dvds a month (depending on how busy i am)

I also like comedy central, cartoon network and discovery.

That hardly quantifies buying cable, the rest of TV sucks. So I would be paying around $100/month if I added cable, and only watching three channels, the other channels I watch are network.

oh and i watch sports but that is mostly network too

Yea but I watch allot of channels that are only on cable. Sci Fi Channel (Stargate SG-1/Atlantis and BSG Galactica), Comedy Central (South Park, Mind of Mencia, etc), I watch countless educational shows on the History/Science/Discovery channel, then every Saturday I got the new movies on the movie channels. Sometimes I find only crap on but 95% of the time I find something that I like.

Then of course the rest of the people in my family who like other things. I had Cable for 14 years and I rarely watch anything on the basic channels. Short of Family Guy and the Simpsons. We considered doing that DVD rental thing but we didn't want to be locked into having to rent DVD's. Sometimes we are too busy to watch DVD's or its August and we go on vacation.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yea but I watch allot of channels that are only on cable. Sci Fi Channel (Stargate SG-1/Atlantis and BSG Galactica), Comedy Central (South Park, Mind of Mencia, etc), I watch countless educational shows on the History/Science/Discovery channel, then every Saturday I got the new movies on the movie channels. Sometimes I find only crap on but 95% of the time I find something that I like.

Then of course the rest of the people in my family who like other things. I had Cable for 14 years and I rarely watch anything on the basic channels. Short of Family Guy and the Simpsons. We considered doing that DVD rental thing but we didn't want to be locked into having to rent DVD's. Sometimes we are too busy to watch DVD's or its August and we go on vacation.

family guy and the simpsons are not basic cable, they are network TV

hermeslyre

VIP Member
We don't get cable either, more because of the cost than anything. BUT I love Battlestar Galactica, So I just downloaded it all. I was going to watch Razor on TVUplayer (A app with a couple English streaming broadcasts, SciFi, comedy central, nickelodeon, mostly foreign stuff though) But I totally forgot. Doh'. Hey, bitTorrent does make make up 50-80% of all internet traffic, more toward 90% during the nocturnal hours. Go with the flow. ;)

With better fiber optic tech, cheaper and better than their Japanese counterparts, it's making it easier to extend our fiber optic infrastructure to the people. Taxation of the internet is a growing concern, but personally, I don't believe anything will come of it. Our current legislative process seems against it. But with our "nation of sheep", who knows? Presidential candidate Barack Obama claims he's against all limitationary considerations regarding the internet, lol. Kucinich, a real democrat, seems likely to take a similar approach.

PC eye

banned
I'm generally too busy to watch any tv while cable is still used here for espn, court tv, CNN, sitcoms being out while I catch network news and the few weekly series like NCIS, The UNIT, Numbers on one network with 2020, Thisweek, etc. that have some IQ to them while looking over a few web casts at times. That's where having a fast connection really counts.

The newer fiber optics however will keep you from seeing a router's bandwidth bog down when you have multiple systems running off of it. The only delays then will be seen with sites you are trying to get onto if their servers are loaded up.

zaroba

if it bogged down it wouldn't surprise me at all. the US is falling fast when it comes to internet speed and connectivity. theres still lots of areas where no cable internet or dsl is available. not just rural areas either.

i live in a modular home park in a small town with several large cities within a half hour of me in different directions. I can get verizon dsl with no trouble, but if i want cable internet? I'd have to go with the provider that the park has a contract with, and its download only, which makes it hard to have a website. Also, i severely doubt that FiOS will ever be available here due to it being somewhat a closed community.

i wouldn't mind moving to japan and getting a 35mb cable line for what would be US$30 a month :p

hermeslyre

VIP Member
All that speed seems useless at this point. Once Television becomes fully streamable (sounds too futuristic, though I'm sure it will happen), high quality streams would make good use of all that bandwidth... Plus you don't weigh in the effects of living in the aforementioned country, japan is weird man. Trust me I'm 25% japanese. All that watered down blood and I'm still weird as all hell. :D

chrislo

Even with the 10-15 MB's I have I doubt I fully utilize it. Even with all I do with the connection and sharing it with 2 other computers and my 360. Even if I had the Fiber option I see no reason to upgrade. In the future that might change though. For the first 3 years I used Dial-Up fine but when I got into multiplayer gaming it wasn't enough.

PC eye

banned
If you are finding dsl or cable seeing lags now fiber optics will surpass those in a giant leap. A company like Verizon already has most of the optical lines inplace for them to be advertising this at this time. While a full dsl setup with multiple systems sees a large $80 a month charge the simple swap over will see a good reduction at $40-. Competition like SBC is bringing the prices down.