Internet Speed Constantly Changing!?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Hey,

Well, my internet's speed is constantly changing, sometimes it's fast, other times it's completely crap, as in, 200KB/s and won't even open a web page.

It's supposed to be a 2MB connection, and I do get that from time to time.

The strange thing is, my family area all on the same connection and are using wireless... although they're on XP and are using the Wireless Adaptor that came with our router. I'm on Vista and I'm using a Buffalo Air-Station USB Adaptor, I couldn't use the ones supplied with the router because they didn't work with Vista and gave me BSOD's.

I had my USB Adaptor plugged into the computer through a small (20cm) USB extension cable, I removed this and plugged it straight into the computer, in a hope that it'd make some difference...

Any idea what could cause this?
I recently OC'ed my GPU, this couldn't have anything to do with it, Right?

Thanks for any help, It's greatly appreciated!

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, right now it's going pretty fast, well, normal speed for my internet, but any second it could just completely drop! :mad:

EDIT: This happened not to long ago, I removed everything to do with my internet, and then installed the drivers again and it worked, now it's happening again! WTF!?

EDIT TWO: I checked to see if I have the latest Driver and apparently, Windows says that I do... It's the one that came on the CD with it...

This is driving me freakin' nuts! It's a piece of shit! :mad:

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Untitled-1-21.jpg

There's the info on my adaptor if you need it...

And here's some thing that came with my USB Adaptor...
2-2.jpg

The strange thing is though, when I un-install everything, and then install it again, it works fine... :confused:

EDIT: Pissin' me off majorly, it's slow again!

Last edited:

meanman

if the rest of your family are not having the problem then i would consider going back to xp as this could be a vista problem. or getting intouch with orange and telling them you need a vista ready adapter after all you cant buy a new pc with xp on it now.

tlarkin

VIP Member
your connection is 2MB shared, so if anyone has a P2P app like a torrent client eating up bandwidth it will directly affect you as well.

Also, to rule out crappy drivers, or vista's bloated network coding, try booting off a linux live CD, which would also load generic drivers but see how it performs. That at least can rule out if its a vista issue or not.

Kornowski

VIP Member
if the rest of your family are not having the problem then i would consider going back to xp as this could be a vista problem. or getting intouch with orange and telling them you need a vista ready adapter after all you cant buy a new pc with xp on it now.

Apparently, Orange Support people don't know what Vista is... I've looked this up to see if they have any drivers or adaptors, and they don't... So, I'm stuck there! :(

your connection is 2MB shared, so if anyone has a P2P app like a torrent client eating up bandwidth it will directly affect you as well.

Also, to rule out crappy drivers, or vista's bloated network coding, try booting off a linux live CD, which would also load generic drivers but see how it performs. That at least can rule out if its a vista issue or not.

None of my family use P2P software, as far as I know... If they did, could it affect me as much as it is now?

I have an Ubuntu CD, will that have Live on it?

I don't really want to use a different OS... :eek:

G25r8cer

That sucks b/c wireless robs alot of your bandwidth and will cut your connection speed in half depending on the router. If someone is running torrent clients or downloading something at max speed, that will cause your internet speed to drop dramatically. This happens when i download stuff on my pc or upload stuff and try to use the internet on my pc and on the other pc.

andy_mitch92

I have the same type of problem... although my net was never as fast as yours is.... our problem is when heavy trafic times come around the net slows down... like at 7-9 at night its slow, and at 3 in the morning its pretty fast ( like I said we never had a fast connection to begin with)

Kornowski

VIP Member
I know my sis has Limewire, Well, I just found out, I'll see if she's using it...

I don't know though, like it used to be fine, no problems... then all of a sudden!

Can it be drivers or something?

G25r8cer

I know my sis has Limewire, Well, I just found out, I'll see if she's using it...

I don't know though, like it used to be fine, no problems... then all of a sudden!

Can it be drivers or something?

It could be drivers but i doubt it. It is most likely limewire that is doing it. For some reason limewire robs bandwidth alot more than a torrent client. My internet speed on my old pc was cut in half after having limewire for a while on it. I reformatted it and now i get great download speeds on it. GET RID OF LIMEWIRE!! Limewire is the worst program ever to download stuff. Most stuff hosted on there is all virus's and infected stuff. Run a virus scan on the pc. Most likely its infected and thats whats causing slow internet speeds.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Yeah, there the problem. If your sister is using Limewire, that's why you Internet is slowing down. I had the same problem.

Best thing you could do is find a way to get a wired connection or get a good integrated wireless PCI card, that could help.

Kornowski

VIP Member
It could be drivers but i doubt it. It is most likely limewire that is doing it. For some reason limewire robs bandwidth alot more than a torrent client. My internet speed on my old pc was cut in half after having limewire for a while on it. I reformatted it and now i get great download speeds on it. GET RID OF LIMEWIRE!! Limewire is the worst program ever to download stuff. Most stuff hosted on there is all virus's and infected stuff. Run a virus scan on the pc. Most likely its infected and thats whats causing slow internet speeds.

I don't have Limewire, it's my sister that uses it... Although, I don't think she uses it all the time... :confused:

Yeah, there the problem. If your sister is using Limewire, that's why you Internet is slowing down. I had the same problem.

Best thing you could do is find a way to get a wired connection or get a good integrated wireless PCI card, that could help.

I bought a USB Adaptor and it's good, I mean, I think it is and it has good reviews...

Thanks for the help!

G25r8cer

USB adapters are slower than PCI cards. What is the connection at? The icon on the taskbar, what does it say? What is it normally on the wired pc's?