Internet Speed Constantly Changing!?

Kornowski

VIP Member
It's a standard one that came with out internet, I don't know what brand it is...
I think it's made by our ISP...

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
It's actually running Ok now, but I bet it won't last long... :cool:

It sounds like your connection slows down whenever your sis uses Limewire. When you notice a dip in your connection, check and see if she's downloading anything. :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
It sounds like your connection slows down whenever your sis uses Limewire. When you notice a dip in your connection, check and see if she's downloading anything. :)

I asked her if she'd been using it today, and apparently she hasn't :confused:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
The signal strength is only two bars, but it's been that before and I've been getting 2MB/s

If you were getting 2MB with only two bars, imagine if you fill up the 5 bars ;)

Can you give a link to the USB adapter? My sister's computer has a Belkin PCI wireless card and it works really good. When she uses Limewire though, I get a slow down on mine and my dad's computers (both wired). So that occasional Limewire slowdown is normal.

Other than that, her internet is always at normal speed, no slow downs. I would look for a decent PCI card and try and see how it works. :)

meanman

Limewire by default will start when windows starts so check and make sure your sister hasnt got limewire running in the background.

dannaswolcott

I have verizon DSL and the speed always changes. I call verizon and they can never do anything about it. I understand how you feel, Thats why Monday i am calling DSL and I am going to cancel it, I like my Road Runner a lot better.

dannaswolcott

Really, Have you tried reinstalling your Network card drivers? Or even reformatting and reinstalling windows? Also some times a good power down on the modem and router and reboot them sometimes helps with speed issues. I know almost 2 or 3 times a day i reboot my DSL modem due to the speed issues. Who is your ISP again?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I've re-installed the network card drivers, didn't work...
I haven't tried re-formatting Windows, No. I don't really want to...

I guess I could try turning it off for a while...

THey're called Orange, Used to be Wannadoo...

Kornowski

VIP Member
Unfortunately there is no cure. But there is a treatment.

Buy a PCI wireless card, they are usually faster than USB and I would think that more stable as well. May cost more, but it'd be worth the try.

;)

Hmmm, I don't know... It works fine for all my family, so I don't see why it shouldn't work for me, You know... I may try another USB Adaptor, I'll take it back if it doesn't work ;)