• Yahoo

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Google

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dhaynes

Who do you think is going to win the current battle between Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft? To me it seems like Google and Yahoo are doing a good job of positioning themselves for the future, since it seems like more and more computer functions are being integrated with the Internet. Every other day it seems like Google and Yahoo are buying someone out.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i reckon they'll all start collaborating... but i'm an idealist. there will never be one outright winner as there will always be a time when other companies have good fortunes and come along to challenge the "winners" from the previous scuffle

Jon Boy

HAHA I neevr even heard of viacon !. But google have stuff like google earth, and services where you can pay a team of investigators to get you answers. There is no competition I reackon goole all the way. (except they dont have a feature like yahoo to search for videos) they did once as a beta thing but its gone again :(.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Jon Boy said:
HAHA I neevr even heard of viacon !. But google have stuff like google earth, and services where you can pay a team of investigators to get you answers. There is no competition I reackon goole all the way. (except they dont have a feature like yahoo to search for videos) they did once as a beta thing but its gone again :(.

Its Viacom.

CBS, MTV, Nickelodeon, BET, Paramount Pictures... VH1, and I think Showtime are all part of Viacom...

krimson_king, I disagree with your friend. While they certainly have a huge chunk of the television market, I do not see them dominating the web.

Apokarteron

banned
I think Google, with the excellent, free, email subscription of 2GB+ and the Google Earth and all of the cool functions. One question: What does Google get out of the free emails and Google Earth? Where do they get paid from to work?

epidemik

Apokarteron said:
I think Google, with the excellent, free, email subscription of 2GB+ and the Google Earth and all of the cool functions. One question: What does Google get out of the free emails and Google Earth? Where do they get paid from to work?

well doesnt google get paid to put some websites at the top of search results? if people use gmail, itd be easier for them to use google websearch because they were right there rathewr than going to some other website and using their search enginge. also doesnt google have an ad program. They probably get paid through that too.

But im not sure. Thats a good question.

p4r4s1t3

Microsoft, as always.

They do pretty much everything, including the most popular operating system (to newbies anyway).

as ICT advances more people will be buying more home systems and people trust microsoft windows. thus all new systems commercially sold will come with microsoft windows.

google is an option, microsoft is basically compulsory.

dhaynes

except they dont have a feature like yahoo to search for videos

http://video.google.com

As far as I know they had the video search before Yahoo. They also just added a music search. It seems like theyre the innovators right now on the Internet. They were the first with a 1GB of storage for e-mail, they have the best search engine, the list goes on. There's even talk that they're gonna buy Opera, or just make their own browser. Here are the links.

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,123948,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,123945,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp

lee101

VIP Member
Google have got to win it,they provide you with absolutely everything, apart from OS and office suite free of charge, imagine if google made an operating system and office suite:
1.they would probably be free
2.they would intergrate with all google products, so all of your google stuff can be in one place
4.It would probably be the best

lee101

VIP Member
Apokarteron said:
they make a hell of a lot of money through ads, like the ones you see on this site, people will pay to be listed in there then google will pick relevant results and put them there, then whoever owns the site will get paid a small amoun, but google will keep the most money. i think i read once that google makes $8.6 billion a year just from advertising, though i'm not sure if thats true, and thats only the advertising side, there are loads of other ways for them to make money, like the advanced user thing in google earth, that requires a subscription, so more cash for google.
Whatever they do they have a great way of making money, but still being able to provide most (if not all) of their services for free to the world.
Also stuff like google answers, people will pay for the most stupid of questions to be answered! just look at a few here http://answers.google.com/answers/currentquestions
each one may not be much, but the few dollars here and there all add up, to make a nice little earner

Last edited:

maroon1

very strange, yahoo just got 2 votes, why ????
i just think that google is overrated because i don't see that google have more services than yahoo, i agree that goolge has better search engine but google doesn't have good services for entertainment and news like yahoo, and it does't have a messenger

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i just remembered that yahoo is part of British Telecom now and that BT has a vast list of companies under its control. I know there's more but the ones that come to mind are Tiscali, argos, PCWorld, dixons and curries. these are only the ones that i remember but i know there's a lot more

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
PCWorld Dixons and Currys are all the same company, just under different names, they have the same senior management team.

Argos, well, "Owned by GUS plc and part of the Argos Retail Group" - nothing to do with BT

Did you know that Tiscali actually owns Tiny and Gateway and are now the 4th largest ISP in the UK

Last edited: