iPhone 4S

mihir

VIP Member
well we have to start with the assumption that it works :) if it doesn't..then you are a correct.
but the reason we never use it for command dialer is that is one area where is has no use, since you have the phone in your hand anyway and its only 1-2 key strokes. I can totally see a need for something like...."tell me what 4lbs is in grams". You just have to use your imagination.
i really think, assuming it works and works very well, there are a lot of uses. Hopefully its just the first step into this area!!

I would love to have something like that,but to do this it would have to have a frkin amazing processor and software optimization.
It would have to figure out what you are talking about first and then open the respective app and then do the conversion and then report it back.On top of that it would need a customized Awesome Learning Algorithm and I think it would be a learning algorithm between supervised and un-supervised , otherwise our commands will be limited to some data set and this would have a data set as the entire english language.
I don't think it will be as simple as telling the phone to convert 4lbs into grams.
It would be something like
1.Open Conversion app
2.Weight unit conversion
3.Then the actual command

Or they could have done the simple thing and asked the americans to use proper units :p

apj101

VIP Member
I would love to have something like that,but to do this it would have to have a frkin amazing processor and software optimization.
It would have to figure out what you are talking about first and then open the respective app and then do the conversion and then report it back.On top of that it would need a customized Awesome Learning Algorithm and I think it would be a learning algorithm between supervised and un-supervised , otherwise our commands will be limited to some data set and this would have a data set as the entire english language.
I don't think it will be as simple as telling the phone to convert 4lbs into grams.
It would be something like
1.Open Conversion app
2.Weight unit conversion
3.Then the actual command

Or they could have done the simple thing and asked the americans to use proper units :p

but that's exactly what siri does. Stuff exactly like that. You don't need to launch anything else. just say to the phone "what is 4lbs in grams" and it will tell you, well its will actually load the wolfram alpha page for you, but that's pretty much the same thing.
It doesn't need to learn so much on the fly, the neural networks will be built into the software already for the most part.
The key is the % error, but from the demo (and we can only go on the demo and siri's performance before apple bought it) it seems pretty good

CrazyMike

People would actually use this Siri?

I know Iphone already has the Voice Control. Your limited on what you can access with it, but i have yet to meet a person that actually uses it. Not only does it not do what you say (Speaking perfectly clear even, and seems like voice control on automated AT&T support center (Rogers up in Canada :p ) ) but people find it a hassel to use. I personally find it faster for me to do everything myself. It is done quicker and more accurate. <<-------THIS COMING FROM ME! THE LAZIEST OF THEM ALL!

So when i heard about this Siri thing, all i could do is laugh. Because i don't know a soul that will actually use it.

apj101

VIP Member
People would actually use this Siri?

I know Iphone already has the Voice Control. Your limited on what you can access with it, but i have yet to meet a person that actually uses it. Not only does it not do what you say (Speaking perfectly clear even, and seems like voice control on automated AT&T support center (Rogers up in Canada :p ) ) but people find it a hassel to use. I personally find it faster for me to do everything myself. It is done quicker and more accurate. <<-------THIS COMING FROM ME! THE LAZIEST OF THEM ALL!

So when i heard about this Siri thing, all i could do is laugh. Because i don't know a soul that will actually use it.
Wow i feel like Im apples sole proponent here. Are you serious that you cant think of how anyone would use it?
I can think of a million uses and users!!!
you are just lacking imagination
you think its quick and easier to do all that yourself? just think about it.
I am of COURSE making the assumption it works haha :) if its not accurate then I agree its not gonna be used much, but lets park that assumption for a second.

Do i need a coat
What the latest red sox score
Hows my stock profile doing
How do i make Coq au Van
What are the news headlines
read me my unread emails
send a text to Mum saying happy birthday and that I love her
Play my favorite playlist
what appointment do i have next Monday
Find me a Chinese restaurant near by
What time does flight XX land in JFK

I agree you can do all these things using various aps and clicks and key strokes and Google searches...but why would you any more...its hardly quicker. In fact id say its quicker to say, whats the weather like today, then it is to load the weather app.
If you wanted to do all those tasks in rapid succession i bet Siri would beat the average user for speed...and remember...not all users may be as tech speedy as you ?!

People find it very hard to change the way they do things, they always think they already know best. Mobile phones, SMS, GPS, iPad, 3D TV....all modern stuff which was criticised heavily when first launched with the idea "who would use that"...a portable device that I can verbally command to do stuff, and with the power of the cloud and entire internet (wolfram alpha) behind it...hmm....i think i could use that quite a lot actually.
Now it just needs to have the breadth to be useful. You cant have users learning a bunch of commands or syntax. It has to be accurate, broad, and natural

mihir

VIP Member
Wow i feel like Im apples sole proponent here. Are you serious that you cant think of how anyone would use it?
I am of COURSE making the assumption it works haha :) if its not accurate then I agree its not gonna be used much, but lets park that assumption for a second.

Do i need a coat
How do i make Coq au Van
read me my unread emails

I agree you can do all these things using various aps and clicks and key strokes and Google searches...but why would you any more...its hardly quicker. In fact id say its quicker to say, whats the weather like today, then it is to load the weather app.
If you wanted to do all those tasks in rapid succession i bet Siri would beat the average user for speed...and remember...not all users may be as tech speedy as you ?!

People find it very hard to change the way they do things, they always think they already know best. Mobile phones, SMS, GPS, iPad, 3D TV....all modern stuff which was criticised heavily when first launched with the idea "who would use that"...a portable device that I can verbally command to do stuff, and with the power of the cloud and entire internet (wolfram alpha) behind it...hmm....i think i could use that quite a lot actually.
Now it just needs to have the breadth to be useful. You cant have users learning a bunch of commands or syntax. It has to be accurate, broad, and natural

I am not against apple, as I already said assuming that it works, then it would be something awesome to have.
I would love to tell my phone to "Wake me up at 4Am by playing Pink Floyd".

CrazyMike

Do i need a coat
How do i make Coq au Van
read me my unread emails

Just curious, do you currently own an Iphone? Also, do you use any type of voice command?

apj101

VIP Member
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html

With added features of what Apple already has, sure looks the same.

sorry, that last sentence doesn't make sense?
Siri looks the same as Siri?
(im excluding from this the fact siri was on the app store a while ago in an earlier form)
there is a difference between a voice command in which you say things in strict predetermined commands
"Call CrazyMike"
and then the voice command ends up calling APJ101 or something stupid
to a system where you can say:
"are there any good burger restaurants"
"find me a good burger please"
"any good buger joints around here"
etc
If, and its a big if, that does work as they demo...then that is very different from voice commands. And as far as Im aware if different from whats offered in the market place currently, at least in this integrated way.

CrazyMike

sorry, that last sentence doesn't make sense?
Siri looks the same as Siri?
(im excluding from this the fact siri was on the app store a while ago in an earlier form)
there is a difference between a voice command in which you say things in strict predetermined commands
"Call CrazyMike"
and then the voice command ends up calling APJ101 or something stupid
to a system where you can say:
"are there any good burger restaurants"
"find me a good burger please"
"any good buger joints around here"
etc
If, and its a big if, that does work as they demo...then that is very different from voice commands. And as far as Im aware if different from whats offered in the market place currently, at least in this integrated way.

Sorry, maybe i phrased it wrong :)

Siri looks to be the same as the voice command already in the Iphone. With a few upgrades. Like i said, i don't see anyone using the voice command that they have now, can't see them using Siri (in my area anyway). I think it's a great tool, just don't see people using it. Especially seeing as it is Iphone 4S only.

BUT if it is as accurate as the adds and the demonstration shows it to be, maybe people will start to use it.

all the new ios features are going to be in the iTunes update availible on iphone 3G and up and ipod toutch 3rd gen and up so if you already have one of these devices it's pointless to buy the 4S

CrazyMike

all the new ios features are going to be in the iTunes update availible on iphone 3G and up and ipod toutch 3rd gen and up so if you already have one of these devices it's pointless to buy the 4S

Agree and disagree. The IOS update will give you IOS 5 but will not give you the updated processor, camera, option of 64GB, Siri.

Not saying i am going to upgrade, cause i am not, just that you won't get everything that the Iphone 4S does.

apj101

VIP Member
Sorry, maybe i phrased it wrong :)

Siri looks to be the same as the voice command already in the Iphone. With a few upgrades. Like i said, i don't see anyone using the voice command that they have now, can't see them using Siri (in my area anyway). I think it's a great tool, just don't see people using it. Especially seeing as it is Iphone 4S only.

BUT if it is as accurate as the adds and the demonstration shows it to be, maybe people will start to use it.
im not sure these two things could be any different? one is a strict list of commands, one is (in theory) a free natural language interface. I can write down the list of command the old voice command system accepted on 1 page. If you want the list that Siri (as demo'd accepts) .. well its endless.
This could well be the thin end of the wedge.
"computer...locate APJ101"
"APJ101 is in ten-forward"
:D

CrazyMike

Shouldn't talk about yourself in third person.... it's creepy :p

I think the best thing to do is wait and see when this phone comes out exactly what this Siri can do, and see how accurate. HOPEFULLY Apple has stepped it up, and if it is as great as you think it is, be a new innovative way of interacting with your phone. Again, i highly doubt, but Apple please prove me wrong.

I do have a question for you all, what do you think of the A5 processor? I mean it is a big step up from the Iphone 4 processor, but how does it compare to other dual core processors? Has anyone done any comparison?

yeah, i knew that i don't know why i didn't mention that. and crazy mike said that the siri was iphone 4S only:eek:, please tell me it will be available in the update i couldn't find anything saying whether it was or not

speedyink

VIP Member
I still hope people won't be using siri in public.. I mean, yeah, it's a neat feature, but the nice thing about most cell phones, is that commom tasks like texting, browsing and the like are generally silent. Obvious exception of course is the iPhone, with it's keyboard sounds, message sent sounds, unlock sounds, hell there's a sound for everything that damn phone does. Now, the already most obnoxious phone out is going to get people to friggin have a conversation with the device? It's gonna be hard to not want to punch those people in the face..

CrazyMike

^ I agree the Iphone has a sound for everything. Limited sound at that. Unless the device is Jailbroken, all sounds are usually the same. Hear a preset sound that Apple has chosen, and everyone is frantically looking to see if it was theirs. There is the choice of silence though. Left up to the user. I could just imagine though, every tom dick and harry using Siri as they are walking around, standing in line, on the bus, everywhere else. It is annoying already having someone talk on the phone beside you, either handheld or via bluetooth, let alone giving commands because they are too lazy to do it themselves. lol

yeah, i knew that i don't know why i didn't mention that. and crazy mike said that the siri was iphone 4S only:eek:, please tell me it will be available in the update i couldn't find anything saying whether it was or not

Judging on reports from media at the even that took place, it was said that Siri will be Iphone 4S only. Others will not be able to get this feature. Unless someone shows me otherwise, i'll go with this tidbit information.

speedyink

VIP Member
^ I agree the Iphone has a sound for everything. Limited sound at that. Unless the device is Jailbroken, all sounds are usually the same. Hear a preset sound that Apple has chosen, and everyone is frantically looking to see if it was theirs. There is the choice of silence though. Left up to the user. I could just imagine though, every tom dick and harry using Siri as they are walking around, standing in line, on the bus, everywhere else. It is annoying already having someone talk on the phone beside you, either handheld or via bluetooth, let alone giving commands because they are too lazy to do it themselves. lol

Thank you, I'm not the only one to thinks this way.