iPhone 6 Predictions

spirit

Staff member
Also the battery life is absolute crap and I can frequently go through two batteries a day with moderate use.

<snip>

Overall it's been getting pretty sluggish in opening stuff and even struggles to keep up with my typing sometimes.
This is also my gripe with Android. I've seen too many Android phones that friends and people I know own that start off really good but end up becoming really slow. Not sure why that is, but it makes me feel that the operating system is perhaps a bit flaky.

And it's the same with battery life issues on Samsung phones. The battery life on my brother's S3 Mini was shocking - usually less than half a day on stand-by by the time he finished with it. Absolutely unacceptable.

Darren

Staff member
Well the iPhone 6 isn't super appealing really. Main problem is they still don't have a microSD slot. Asking to pay another 100 dollars for 16GB more of flash memory is laughable considering the price difference between a 16GB and a 32GB microSD card is about 8 bucks.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
This is also my gripe with Android. I've seen too many Android phones that friends and people I know own that start off really good but end up becoming really slow. Not sure why that is, but it makes me feel that the operating system is perhaps a bit flaky.

It's not that Android is flaky, it's that Google updates specific services and processes to run better on newer systems, but in turn negatively affect older devices. My old ASUS TF101 tablet crawls these days compared to when it was new, even though I've been running the same (super speedy and stable) ROM.

Darren

Staff member
I wonder if I would benefit from a clean wipe and install of a different ROM. Hell I'd probably try it if I could actually connect my phone to a computer.

After about a year with an android phone I do a clean Install every few months. My g3 is already getting laggy during typing.

After seeing the New iPhone is bigger I may switch back down the road. I installed gmail and chrome on the 5s and got the Google apps I wanted plus iPhone stability. May be doing this again.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
10700506_10152785056096349_3775396585219991349_o.jpg

spirit

Staff member
^ So very true. Apple keeping up with technology and current trends, again! :rolleyes:

To quote myself...

So what the new one might have a 4.7" screen? Most high-end phones had screens around 4.7" (maybe a bit less) several years ago and even my £100 Lumia 625 does.

Gotta love that 8MP camera too...

Come on Apple! Most high-end (and even mid-range!) handsets have around 5" displays now and even most mid-range smartphones have cameras around 8MP, most 10+! I KNOW the megapixels aren't everything, but that is how *most* consumers compare cameras!

Mind you, most people who buy this will just be buying it because it's the cool phone to buy, so I guess it doesn't matter. The only people laughing are Apple - all the way to the bank! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Gotta love how Apple is full of hypocrites. Back in 2012/2013, Apple made fun of Android because of how large their phones are, now they are playing catch up. They made fun of NFC and how useless it was, now they implemented it. They bad mouth the competition yesterday, then tomorrow turn around and copy them.

Jason, as far as Android goes, you aren't going to get a good experience if you buy cheap phones like the S3 Mini. You need to buy flagship phones to get fast performance, great battery life, and a great camera. The lower end phones are just full of compromises. My friend has the S4 mini and it's such an awful phone.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Maybe Samsung ought to turn around and sue Apple now? lol

Oh John, if you were at lunch with my friends and I today. We were having a good laugh at that!

Speaking of Samsung, I heard the next Note will have some kind of metallic body to it instead of being completely plastic.

PCunicorn

Gotta love how Apple is full of hypocrites. Back in 2012/2013, Apple made fun of Android because of how large their phones are, now they are playing catch up. They made fun of NFC and how useless it was, now they implemented it. They bad mouth the competition yesterday, then tomorrow turn around and copy them.

Jason, as far as Android goes, you aren't going to get a good experience if you buy cheap phones like the S3 Mini. You need to buy flagship phones to get fast performance, great battery life, and a great camera. The lower end phones are just full of compromises. My friend has the S4 mini and it's such an awful phone.

There's a lot of people who can't afford a flagship. I think what Jason is saying is low end Androids like the S3 Mini suck, but Nokia Windows Phones for the same price don't.

I'm suprised the Apple Watch comes in three editions. Apple rarely does anything like that. Anyways the Apple Watch costs $350 and needs a iPhone. No thanks Apple (and what is up with how journalists complain about the $250 on the Moto 360, but $350 on the Apple Watch is no problem?).

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oh John, if you were at lunch with my friends and I today. We were having a good laugh at that!

Speaking of Samsung, I heard the next Note will have some kind of metallic body to it instead of being completely plastic.

Have you seen the new Note Edge? Looks awesome. I don't know if I would get it though. That phone would suck for lefties.

salvage-this

@PCunicorn

Yeah I was put off by that too. I really liked the interface of the AppleWatch, but at $350 + extra for more bands it is just not wort it for me. If the Nike App is already getting updated for iOS 8 and iPhone 6 and I need to keep my phone on me to get elevation and GPS tracking, why do I need a extra watch to do the same thing. If the watch allowed me to have all of the better tracking without the need to carry a phone I could see it. The software and tracking looks really nice, but I don't want to take a bunch of devices with me so it can tell me that I ran 6 miles. Google Maps had that figured out before I ran. :p

personal opinion here but sending heartbeats is a waste of programmers' time and energy. Dumbest feature ever.

Geoff

VIP Member
Have you seen the new Note Edge? Looks awesome. I don't know if I would get it though. That phone would suck for lefties.
I think it's stupid lol, I see no use for the curved right edge. Looks bad IMO, I like phones to have symmetry.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
I already had an HTC One M8, I didn't care for the hardware, especially the camera.

Ditto! The camera on the M8 is awful, it embarrasses me lol. I't really really that bad. Unless the light is perfect and you're taking a landscape picture, it's garbage. It's one reason I'm going back to iPhone :D

Darren

Staff member
My GS3 will very rarely do that but I can never make it do it, just happens sometimes when I unlock it sideways.

spirit

Staff member
There's a lot of people who can't afford a flagship. I think what Jason is saying is low end Androids like the S3 Mini suck, but Nokia Windows Phones for the same price don't.
That is exactly what I'm saying!

Sorry to bring up Lumias again, but my 625 costs about £100 retail, has a 4.7" screen, a dual-core CPU, 4G and 8GB of internal storage (which can be expanded to 64GB via microSD). Windows Phone 8.1 runs brilliantly on it and it looks and feels like a premium product. Well-built and looks the part! On top of that, the battery life is exceptional. It lasts for days - even with apps like Lync running in the background. The only thing I wish was better was the camera but other than that it's a great phone for the money.

The new 630 costs less than £100 and has a quad core CPU and as far as I can tell it is an awesome handset for the money.

Windows Phone 7.8 is still running flawlessly on my three year old Lumia 710 too - no 'slow downs' to report. It runs like just the day I got it. :)

In all honestly guys, the new Nokia Lumia 830 isn't much worse than the iPhone 6, yet it will likely cost about half the price when it goes on sale being a relatively mid-range handset! http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia830/#ProductSpecsWidget and the 930 completely destroys the iPhone 6 specs wise!

WRXGuy1 said:
Jason, as far as Android goes, you aren't going to get a good experience if you buy cheap phones like the S3 Mini. You need to buy flagship phones to get fast performance, great battery life, and a great camera. The lower end phones are just full of compromises. The lower end phones are just full of compromises. My friend has the S4 mini and it's such an awful phone.
Kind of defeats the whole point of Android if you ask me. I thought the idea of it was that it was the OS to use if you wanted to make inexpensive phones (and tablets) that ran a good operating system well. I guess manufacturers like Samsung just pair it with crappy hardware, fill the OS with loads of bloat and then charge a lot of money for all of those 'low-end phones', right? :rolleyes:

The S4 Mini retails for £200+ and you call that a 'cheap phone'?

Last edited: