Is 620W enough?

Computer_Freak

If it works better with AMD, then get a AMD/ATI card

The 4850

But try with Intel. Im sure that its just propaganda what you heard. It could be true, but just check.

Cause an Intel System is much better than an AMD system.

Here is New computer thats better

Motherboard - ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard $200

CPU - AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Black Edition $290 - more cache, more calculations, if i remember correctly.

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W $130 (for future headroom. And since your computer will be running a lot, its better that the PSU is not stressed.)

RAM - 2 x mushkin 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066, CL5, 2v - 2.1v $126

GFX card - ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 $205

CPU cooler - (only one i could find for this mobo...) Gigabyte G-Power 2 CPU cooler $60 - Insert other HSF if you want

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA-300 Hard Drive $100

Case - Coolermaster Centurion 590 $65

Thats $1175

That gives you $225 to spend on whatever else you want.

A soundcard is not needed as the motherboard has an onboard sound (like most modern ones). Unless you really need better sound.

Last edited:

pyroguy_3

Computer Freak, I do like the looks of the 9950's specs, so that will probably replace the 9850. I'm going to stick with the 4870 vid-card though.

It's not exactly propaganda that I am hearing. I'm hearing this information from the people who literally compiled the programs. intel may work, but amd WILL work.

You bring up a good point, I will probably put a bigger psu in, since it will be running fairly constant. Thanks for all the input.

oregon

get a good brand 500W and you will be fine for pretty much anything you do. don't buy into the psu hype about the more power the better.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Worst advice ever. WHy then do you have a 650W?

No, it's not. So there's headroom for an upgrade or two. It's perfectly good advice. You could get some shitty no-brand 700Watt PSU, and it would't be as good as a good quality brand 550Watt.

Okedokey

Ok. May be not WORST advice ever, but what he leaves out is makes it very poor advice.

Firstly, wattage has nothing to do with it, even if it did, 500W is insufficient for many newer setups regardless of quality. Secondly, i am the first person on this forum to say that psu is an important consideration, but if i am incorrect why does he have a 650W if 500W is good for all?

To say a 500W will cover it is bs.

You need to know:

Efficiency
Does it have PFC
What is the 12V rail amperage on 12V+2 ... n
What is the MTB rated at?
Correct derating?
Input voltage etc.

The 620W corsair is a good unit, as i am sure you will agree, coz you and i have purchased from that company. But to say a "good" 500W will cover all, is rubbish. Define good.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Secondly 500W is insufficient for many newer setups regardless of quality.

That's obviously why I'm running my system on a 520watt PSU, eh. It's also how people have ran Q6600's and SLI GTS' (G80) on the HX520.

So, obviously 500 watts isn't enough for many systems... Oh wait, it is...

Okedokey

No, it means you are underpowered. Your sig says G92 x 1, are you saying you have 2 x G80 on a HX520?

Okedokey

I had that PSU. It has 3 x 18A 12V rails. Now consider under ATX design standards that 12V+2 is dedicated to the CPU (meaning no amperage can be shared on that rail), that leaves you with 2 x 18A rails for the rest of the system. 36A for 2 x G80 plus the rest of the system, you are kidding yourself if you think that is sufficient when nVIdia recommends 26A min for just one card. I bet your Corsair is pumping out the heat out the back. Running it at that load is very inefficient, and although it may work now, and months to come, you are stressing it and it will fail eventually.

Anyway, this is off topic.

If you think that a broad statement such as a "good" 500W PSU is fine in all situations, is a competent statement. Then fine. I don't. It's especially suspect when the same guy has a 650W.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, from me saying this;

It's also how people have ran Q6600's and SLI GTS' (G80) on the HX520.

You came to this conclusion;

are you saying you have 2 x G80 on a HX520?

I would have thought if you're on an internet forum, you'd be able to read... I said 'how people have ran'. At no point did I mention I.

My system isn't underpowered in the slightest either... Why do people always grossly over-estimate how much power their computer needs!?

I just found this on the internet, too;

I'm using a HX520, and with a Q6600 at 3.51GHz, 8800GTS 512 clocked at 792/1890/2106 (I'd say throw in an extra 25W for a GTX), 3 HDs, and 4DIMMS. During Crysis I'm pulling about 280W-300W FROM THE wall. Factor in 80% efficiency and that's about 230-240W in the system. The CPU and GPU both fully loaded, about 270W DC. My 12V rail is rock solid, but with a single card setup it's very hard to stress the HX520. But I wouldn't be surprised if the HX520 could run a GTX in a SLI given the power draw I see in my system. I definitely have the headroom for an extra GTS, but sadly - my P35 doesn't support SLI.

Last edited:

Okedokey

The OP, asked if a 620W Corsair unit is sufficient for his system. Answer yes. For someone to come in and say, that:

get a good brand 500W and you will be fine for pretty much anything you do. don't buy into the psu hype about the more power the better.
is nonsense. end of conversation. you need to clarify that with facts - especially when the same guy has a 650W. Its not about power (i.e Watts), its about facts, as i listed in my previous post. Not many systems with modern OC'd CPUs, GPUs, and various periphererals will run on 500W. But the fact is 500W is meaningless, beacuse it is not about wattage, but 12V rail amperage under ATX standards.

Last edited:

Archangel

VIP Member
Not many systems with modern OC'd CPUs, GPUs, and various periphererals will run on 500W. But the fact is 500W is meaningless, beacuse it is not about wattage, but 12V rail amperage under ATX standards.

500W is not completely meaningless, but I agree. the current a power supply can deliver on its 12V rail says more than the total wattage. (the HX620W can deliver 50 Ampere (rated at 50*C !!) on the 12 Volt rail. thats 600Watt on the 12 Volt rail, almost its full power capacity. (wich makes it a good psu for me. not to mention the 5 year warranty :) )

Okedokey

Agreed, but the i never disputed the 620W. It is a great psu. But to say outright that a 500W "good" psu will suffice any system is nonsense.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
But to say outright that a 500W "good" psu will suffice any system is nonsense.
I can't see anyone saying it'll suffice for any system.

But the fact is 500W is meaningless, beacuse it is not about wattage
Then why on earth do you keep arguing that a 500 watt PSU wouldn't be enough? After all, it's meaningless, right?

oregon

bigfella, my advice is actually completely valid, but yeah, i was too lazy to explain why, and all about the current on the 12V, and how most computers actually use about 350W, often less.

as to me having a 650W, that is because when i bought my computer, i was told by people on this forum that i would need it. sort of like how people are telling the op to get a huge psu. if i were to buy again though, i would buy the psu kornowski has because it has easily enough watts, and good current (the important part).

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Care to read all the posts?

*yawn* I can't see why anyone would bother to dig up a 3-days old thread to carry on with a dumb argument, but alright.

and you will be fine for pretty much anything you do
There, it says pretty much, which DOES NOT mean that it suffices in absolutely any situations but it means that IT WILL suffice in majority of situations, and for more than 80% (which can be called "majority") of people 500W good brand PSU will suffice.

Last edited: