Is a solid state drive worth it?

TheJudge6070

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEH model labtop. It had the old HDD in it. I got a blue screen awhile back and been trying to save my pictures in case of a break down. I ran the disk driver thing and it found many corrupted files and now the computer runs a little better but still slow.

I also know when I play an online game you can hear the HDD but then after awhile you hear it slow down and quit and the game freezes some.

So I don't know what's wrong with it but I'm wondering if a SSD is worth getting? I was looking at a 500gb one because that's what size my HDD is and I have like 322 gb left on it...so I figured 500 gb should be good enough.

Is it worth upgrading or just buying a new labtop?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How old is the laptop? A 500 gb SSD drive will run you about $189. If its only a few years old, I would get the ssd.

beers

Staff member
Did you run any surface scans or SMART reports on the existing drive?

Given the cost of a 500 GB SSD you'd probably be better off putting that funding into a newer system.

Edit:
labtop labtop labtop

You don't own a lab, the computer goes in your lap ;)

Last edited:

TheJudge6070

Did you run any surface scans or SMART reports on the existing drive?

Given the cost of a 500 GB SSD you'd probably be better off putting that funding into a newer system.

Edit:

You don't own a lab, the computer goes in your lap ;)

Yeah I ran the scan in the boot scan...took forever. But it found alot of corrupt files.

The blue screen had like a Kernel drive error or something.

I was debating on a new "lap"top vs the SSD. I've heard new "lap"tops aren't really good No more.

Then if I do get a new one..it still.might have the hard disk drive. I've also heard windows 10 is coming out too.

So I'm undecided...but you say it might be better to just get a new computer?

beers

Staff member
What scan are you talking about? Finding corrupt files is a chkdsk which checks the file system but it doesn't check the underlying drive's sectors. You can use something like SeaTools to scan the drive for errors, or CrystalDiskInfo for SMART status.

It's really up to you, if you think you will be good with the laptop for another few years then by all means SSD it. I picked up a cheap SSD for my MX6959 laptop from 2006 and it was a decent improvement.

TheJudge6070

What scan are you talking about? Finding corrupt files is a chkdsk which checks the file system but it doesn't check the underlying drive's sectors. You can use something like SeaTools to scan the drive for errors, or CrystalDiskInfo for SMART status.

It's really up to you, if you think you will be good with the laptop for another few years then by all means SSD it. I picked up a cheap SSD for my MX6959 laptop from 2006 and it was a decent improvement.

Well I'm still using windows 7..I would like to use windows 10 if it's going to be better.

I mean my sony vaio is good but I've also heard sony sold off the vaio model to some other group now

What would you do?

I'll use it for gaming, videos, pictures, internet

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I don't know what's wrong with it but I'm wondering if a SSD is worth getting? I was looking at a 500gb one because that's what size my HDD is and I have like 322 gb left on it...so I figured 500 gb should be good enough.

Is it worth upgrading or just buying a new labtop?

While that laptops specs are not the best,If your happy with the laptop and it does what you need it to,Id recommend getting a Second hand SSD cheap..that's what i done with my mothers old Laptop that has a Core 2 Duo (previously single core Celeron :p ).

She has a Asus Laptop and i taken out the old 5400Rmp hard drive and put in a second hand OCZ Onyx drive..The thing fly's now. :D

SSDs are probably the best upgrade anyone can do if your still using an old mechanical hard drive.

TheJudge6070

I see

Physical memory
total 4043
cached 1488 (changes)
Available 1400 (changes)
Free 4 (changes)

Kernel memory (mb)
paged 269 (changes)
nonpaged 70 (changes a digit every now and then)

System
handles 30482 (changes)
Threads 1248 (changes)
processes 107 (changes)
Commit (mb) 3069/8085 (changes)

Cpu usage 90 (changes)
Physical memory (68% changes a digit or so)

What can yall tell?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you are only hitting 70 percent ram usage then you really don't need to upgrade yet. When you start coming close to say 80 percent then think about upgrading.