Is AMD comparable to Intel?

karder

Used to be an AMD fan, then switched back to Intel. Now that AMD have some good processors out, is it worthwhile switching back?

I wanna build a new computer, but don't know if I should get a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition or i7 920? Would I lose much in performance choosing AMD over Intel?

AMD also cost less overall (CPU and MOBO) so that favors AMD a little since my funds aren't unlimited.

Anyone with some good insights?

87dtna

Clock for clock intel is faster at EVERYTHING, gaming included.

I7 920 VS 965 isn't even a thought, even the I5 750 beats the 965 clock for clock. Phenom II's were built with Core 2 quad in mind, and they do a good job defending their honor against them. But once you get into nehalem architecture, it's all over.

There's a few guys that call me an intel fanboy, so be it...the proof is there. You look up ANY quad core benchmark AMD vs intel, intel will have the top several hundred spots before you get to an AMD Phenom II and it's also clocked higher than intel's cpu's.

HOWEVER, I'm talking all out performance difference. If you want to talk bang for the buck, then you are closing the gap and the I7 is out of the question. Now we're talking I5 750 VS Phenom II 965. The I5 will cost slightly more, not much, and does have better performance than the Phenom II, it's about 15% better for about probably 15% more cost as well. Now thats clock for clock performance, my I5 was able to overclock further than my Phenom II so I got about a 20% increase in performance. So it's up to you, but I went from a Phenom II quad at 3.9ghz to an I5 at 4.3ghz and was very happy.

Last edited:

karder

87dtna: But is it worthwhile spending the extra buck? I am no serious gamer or genius software user.

I like casual gaming and some photo editing software.

Sure it would be nice with all maxed out graphics and stuff on games, but since I will be using a 24-25 inch screen for gaming, my main question would be: Would Phenom II X4 965 bottleneck my GPU? (GPU I am considering is PNY GTX260 core 216 performance edition)

MacBook

banned
If you want pure performance, go with Intel. AMD however has great processors at an even better price, so if you want a processor that will perform well, and are on a budget, get an AMD.

aviation_man

If you want pure performance, go with Intel. AMD however has great processors at an even better price, so if you want a processor that will perform well, and are on a budget, get an AMD.

Basically sums it up.

I bought a Phenom x4 for my rig... overclocked it... It's way more than I'll ever use, haven't had any issues with it...
If you want a quad core, but you don't want to spend a lot of money get the latest AMD processor, the Phenom II (185$ USD)...But if you're looking for more power and you don't mind spending a but load... Intel is a good one.
To sum it up
Budget CPU, at low cost: AMD
More power, but $$: Intel.

When I say "More power" I'm referring to processors that run better than the Phenom II. That's only if you're doing a LOT with your computer (F@H for ex.), the average user doesn't even need that much power.

87dtna

87dtna: But is it worthwhile spending the extra buck? I am no serious gamer or genius software user.

I like casual gaming and some photo editing software.

Sure it would be nice with all maxed out graphics and stuff on games, but since I will be using a 24-25 inch screen for gaming, my main question would be: Would Phenom II X4 965 bottleneck my GPU? (GPU I am considering is PNY GTX260 core 216 performance edition)

Sounds like a Phenom II is enough for you then. I would save a few bucks and get a 955 though, pretty much the same CPU and since they both have unlocked multipliers they overclock the same for the most part....~4 ghz max on air typically unless you get a really good chip.

This one is the C3 stepping (better OC)-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...08&cm_re=Phenom_II_955-_-19-103-808-_-Product

For the card...gtx 260 is a great card but get EVGA brand, they are the best for Nvidia cards. Couple bucks more, but you get what you pay for 99% of the time with video cards. The 955 is $25 less, so put it toward an EVGA brand card.

Last edited:

karder

Sounds like a Phenom II is enough for you then. I would save a few bucks and get a 955 though, pretty much the same CPU and since they both have unlocked multipliers they overclock the same for the most part....~4 ghz max typically unless you get a really good chip.

Get EVGA brand, they are the best for Nvidia cards. Couple bucks more, but you get what you pay for 99% of the time with video cards.

Only thing is that I already have the PNY card and I got this card for free :D So I probably wont get another brand hehe.

955 is looking nice and affordable. Will consider that.

87dtna

Oh if you already got it thats no problem, it's still a gtx 260 which is a great GPU.

I edited my post up there and gave you a link for the C3 stepping 955.

karder

Appreciate it, thanks.

Do you know how well this card, 955 cpu and AMD in general would do with SLI? Is it even possible on AMD MBs?

karder

Haha, almost feel like being back to square 1 then.

Or maybe I'll just manage with one GTX260 for a while at least.

karder

Guys thanks for the help.

I think I will take the 980a that 87dtna recommended. Looks purdy darn good.

daisymtc: Thanks for the info, you just saved me some headache and disappointment. Sweet!

StrangleHold

Staff member
I thought the 750a didn't support DDR3 memory, interesting.

Chipset doesnt really matter, the memory controller is on the processor. Aftermarket sales on Nvidia chipsets just went down the drain, so it took them longer/probably nagging from nvidia to slap DDR3 slots on Nvidia boards.

750a chipset SLi at x8 speed. It would be better to get 980a if you want to sli

No that much with GTX 260s, just a few frames.