Is AMD comparable to Intel?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Had a 4870 1gb in my previous build. Loved it very much. Stupid as I am, I gave away my computer that I had spent $1000 on after only 3 months

Paid $300 only for GPU!
Out of the bunch it was a toss up between the 4870/GTX 260. The 260 taking the edge. The GTS 250 is a better card then most people think. Not to impressed with the 5770. Done sold them all, running a 8800GT backup card. Inventory flush out.

87dtna

Out of the bunch it was a toss up between the 4870/GTX 260. The 260 taking the edge. The GTS 250 is a better card then most people think. Not to impressed with the 5770. Done sold them all, running a 8800GT backup card. Inventory flush out.

I have found the exact same results. I preferred the 260 over the 4870 easily, ran cooler and seemed to outperform slightly.

And yes definitely gts250 underrated! Thats why I kept my gts250 and traded my gtx285 for an I7 860. The gts250 has been plenty powerful to play all games I like at 1920x1080 without blinking!

StrangleHold

Staff member
I have found the exact same results. I preferred the 260 over the 4870 easily, ran cooler and seemed to outperform slightly.

And yes definitely gts250 underrated! Thats why I kept my gts250 and traded my gtx285 for an I7 860. The gts250 has been plenty powerful to play all games I like at 1920x1080 without blinking!

For the price/performance the GTS 250 is hard to beat. Unless you can get a 4850 1gb. model dirt cheap.

Seen a 4860 1gb for 129 bucks. From what I can tell, its a stripped down 4890. Dont know how well it would clock, but if it does might be a good deal against the 250.

karder

off topic, it sucks knowing that I have i7 920 paired with 6gb ddr3 1066mhz ram at work,
while I am struggling to get near that at home. Wish the company paid for home computer as well *sigh*

But shouldn't the 4870 1gb theoretically beat both gts 250 and gtx 260?

87dtna

It beats the gts250, but not the 260. The gts250 is just an overclocked 9800gtx. Only AMD fanboys think the 4870 beats the 260. In the real world, the 260 wins.

This is why the 260 has a higher 2nd owner resale value and I picked up my 4870's for $110.

With video cards, you pretty much get what you pay for.

87dtna

For the price/performance the GTS 250 is hard to beat. Unless you can get a 4850 1gb. model dirt cheap.

Seen a 4860 1gb for 129 bucks. From what I can tell, its a stripped down 4890. Dont know how well it would clock, but if it does might be a good deal against the 250.

Ehh, not a big fan of 4850's.

Looking at some specs, it looks like the 4860 is actually just an overclocked 4830 because it still has 640 config cores unlike the 4850/4870/4890 which have 800.

karder

Back to topic on one issue. My friend just told me that AMD probably wont survive Intel's next few CPU releases. Is this true or are they coming out with new stuff as well soon?

MacBook

banned
Back to topic on one issue. My friend just told me that AMD probably wont survive Intel's next few CPU releases. Is this true or are they coming out with new stuff as well soon?
They are surviving, they just aren't the best performer currently.

87dtna

AMD is barely surviving now LOL. I5/I7 beat the Phenom II in everything except gaming because any decent quad core won't be a bottleneck.

Aastii

VIP Member
AMD is barely surviving now LOL. I5/I7 beat the Phenom II in everything except gaming because any decent quad core won't be a bottleneck.

AMD barely surviving? Show me figures of AMD nearly going out of business in the domestic sector and I will believe you. Everyone that doesn't care about top end or bragging rights is happy to get a PII or AII CPU. They aren't going to stop any time soon and they aren't going to stop producing CPUs that can't handle the latest and greatest any time soon either

StrangleHold

Staff member
AMD made a profit this quarter/first in a long time and gain % in market share against Intel. They are really in better shape now then the last few years.

87dtna

AMD made a profit this quarter/first in a long time and gain % in market share against Intel. They are really in better shape now then the last few years.

Yeah I just noticed that, hasn't been like that for 2 years now. But that was just this past quarter, the I3 was just released so I doubt we'll see the same for next quarter. There's tons of new hardware junkies that ''have to have'' the first 32nm chips.

craneop1985

On the flip-side of that coin is that some peeps don't care what chip they have--they want something cheap and root for the underdog-i.e.-not intel. I've had both chips-but prefer AMD right now---can build faster machines for average users on a budget-i.e-grandparents and low-income.

87dtna

Well actually I used to build Athlon II X2 systems for dirt cheap, for my relatives that just use their PC for internet pretty much. But since the E3200/E3300 wolfdale celeron's came out, I switched to intel. I had an Athlon II 245, it overclocked to about 3.8ghz max on air. The E3200 I got to 4.2ghz, in fact it would clock to 4ghz on the stock cooler, that last 200 mhz really needed more voltage. And now, the E3300 is just $3 more (was like $10 more when I bought the 3200) so you get an even higher multiplier.