Is an anti-virus important? Or firewall enough?

curious_girl

So I read that and anti-virus is mostly useless (http://www.atkielski.com/main/ReliablePC.html), and if you are careful, getting a virus is rare. I use zone alarm pro on my computer, I run windows update frequently, and I scan it very frequently with webroot spy sweeper, and spyware doctor. I never download anything off the internet including music, and I only open emails that I know who they are from. Is that good enough?:confused:

Platinum

Well I mean in theory it is safe, but in practicallity probably not. Just by visiting certain websites you can become infected. It's always, always a good idea to have an anti-virus program installed, and there are many free ones you can download. Here are some programs you should look into. I would suggest picking 1 AV program, 1 firewall (but you said you have ZA, so that's fine), and a few anti-malware programs. Definately have a few because each individual program doesn't remove everything. Every program has it's own set of definitions and therefore only removes certain things. So having a bunch of them is a good idea.

Recommended Anti-Virus Programs

Avast - Free Edition
AVG Free Version
NOD32

Recommended Firewalls

Sunbelt Kerio Firewall
ZoneAlarm Free Edition

taggif.gif

Next, if they're not already present, I would recommend the download and installation of some of the following anti-spyware programs, and the updating of them regularly. Having only a firewall and anti-virus software is not enough to keep you safe from spyware, as both are mostly weak against the onslaught of spyware today out there on the internet :
  • Ad-Aware SE - Ad-Aware SE is an excellent program against spyware but usually adware. Works well together with Spybot S&D. It's free. A tutorial can be found here.
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove a multitude of adware files and modules from your computer. Spybot also can clean program and Web-usage tracks from your system, which is especially useful if you share your computer. Modules chosen for removal can be sent directly to the included file shredder, ensuring complete elimination from your system. For advanced users, it allows you to fix Registry inconsistencies related to adware and to malicious program installations. The handy online-update feature ensures that Spybot always has the most current and complete listings of adware, dialers, and other uninvited system residents. Spybot S&D goes great together with Ad-Aware SE as a anti-spyware/adware arsenal.

Version 1.4 has the first native multi-installation scanner, noticeably faster than the previous version during scans, and has improved the tools and updated the interface. Spybot S&D is absolutely free. A tutorial can be found here.
  • Spyware Blaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. SpywareBlaster is free. A tutorial can be found here.
  • IE Spyad - IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone, so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all. It basically prevents any downloads, cookies, scripts from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites. IE-SPYAD is free. A tutorial can be found here.
  • Spyware Doctor - Spyware Doctor is a top-rated malware & spyware removal utility that detects, removes and protects your PC from thousands of potential spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers, spybots and tracking threats. Protect your privacy and computing habits from prying eyes and virtual trespassers with the help of Spyware Doctor. This one you will have to pay, but it is worth every penny.
  • Windows Defender (Beta 2) - Free program from Microsoft that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software. It features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, and a new streamlined interface that minimizes interruptions and helps you stay productive.
  • Fire Trust Sitehound - Firetrust introduces the SiteHound Toolbar - the safe way to browse the Internet. With SiteHound, when you browse the Internet, you're shown a warning page every time you go to a site which is a known scam, potentially loads viruses or spyware on to your computer, has questionable content or anything you would not consider reasonable. You are shown a warning page with information about that site. From there you can choose to enter the site or go back. SiteHound is a free add-on to Internet Explorer.
  • WinPatrol - WinPatrol uses a heuristic approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment. Traditional security programs scan your hard drive searching for previously identified threats. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. You'll be removing dangerous new programs while others download new reference files. This one is free but has a "Plus" version that you can pay for.
  • A-squared - Free version can scan for worms, trojans, dialers and spyware. The non-free version has realtime-monitoring.
  • ewido anti-malware - Highly underrated from the beginning by most critics, ewido anti-malware offers protection from spyware, adware, trojans and dialers. The first time you download it, it will have realtime-monitoring. After the trial, the realtime-monitoring disappears but you will still be able to use it for scanning and removing present infections for free.
  • Spysweeper - Webroot's Spy Sweeper is well known for being one of the better spyware detection and removal programs. A 30-day free trial is available, however, it will not remove any spyware it detects; for that, you'll need to purchase the product.
  • SpywareGuard - An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware! This one is absolutely free.

Nini

ive went 6 months without an AV program (with just a firewall) and got no viruses at all even tho i downloaded music. but i still think its good to have a firewall and an anitivus of some kind

rayZa

Both antivirus and firewall is important. And of course, you need an antispyware too. Antivirus and firewall are not built to protect you from spyware.

victorti83plus

Only antivirus is not enough....Only firewall is not enough....with both...still not enough. What you need is a SECURITY SUITE!

You need to have antivirus AND firewall AND anti-spyware anti keylogger etc....

So, to make things simple, nowadays, they release some ALLin one software that can deal with all that.

I suggest you:
-Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 (The best one in my opinoin, low memeory usage + very good antivirus and firewall and provided all kind of protection)
-Zonealarm security suite
-Norton Internet security.

Mr.Cool

Your crusin' for a brusin' if you don't use antivirus as well as a firewall. You may think you don't have a virus but if you knew you had one would it be successful. The problem with viruses are that they are undetectable to the "naked eye" (most of 'em). Use antivirus.

I have two firewalls and I have still downloaded trojen virsues so NO an firewall alone is not going to protect you from a virus. If it did protect you then anti virus softwear would not exist.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
One other anti-virus that beats ALL others, (and I've tried a few) is Anti-Vir. Freeware for home use, not for business. I've even intentionally tried it out a few times, (I know not the smartest thing... ;)) but no complaints, and been using it for a little over 2 years now.

playboy1147

Viruses are everywhere, even if you don't download anything, looking at images is enough to get one. so you need to either unplug your internet connection, pay 4 bazzilion dollars a month to get it fixed, or get a good antivirus.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anti-virus and anti-spyware is a must yes.

Personaly i dont use any third party firewall,I just use windows built in firewall.

If i have more memory to spare then i would run another firewall.

Tayl

VIP Member
To be honest, if you have a decent router firewall protecting you, as well as extreme good common sense, only running an AV on your individual computer would be enough. As that's what I'm basically doing at the moment ( with the exception of running the basic windows firewall but I've heard that's by no means great ) and I haven't had any problems yet.

SirKenin

banned
So I read that and anti-virus is mostly useless (http://www.atkielski.com/main/ReliablePC.html), and if you are careful, getting a virus is rare. I use zone alarm pro on my computer, I run windows update frequently, and I scan it very frequently with webroot spy sweeper, and spyware doctor. I never download anything off the internet including music, and I only open emails that I know who they are from. Is that good enough?:confused:

Let's clear up the misconceptions.

A good antivirus is needed, such as Avast! (AVG pales by comparison) to catch virii that websites are trying to automatically install by script, stuff coming through your email, your messenger, stuff like that. They will catch trojans and backdoors before they are ever installed on your computer.

A second firewall is not needed. This is a very popular misconception. For the very rare time that any outgoing traffic would pose a problem, it negates the need for a firewall. Then, if you have Avast! it stops the problem software from ever getting to your computer to begin with.

Couple Avast! with Prevx1 and you are bulletproof. Minimal footprint, maximum protection.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The absolute best type of security is layered. Start at the router, and configure it with a firewall, NAT, and good wireless encryption like WPA (if you have wireless). Then on the machine have some sort of software based defense. AVG, Panda, Norman, Fprot, Ad-aware, spy sweeper, etc.

Use smart passwords to protect yourself. Don't use the bad P2P applications, be careful what you download, and always scan email attachments.

Also, FWIW, virii is not a word. The plural of virus, is viruses.

Keep your spysweeper it is a good application in my experience. Get yourself behind a good secure router, and you more than likely will not succumb to internet attacks. For one if you set up NAT, you will not allow remote hosts to connect to your systems.

Bobo

banned
since english is based off latin, everything stems from a root word. Vir is a word that means man, so viri means men.
I take latin. The word is not viri, it is virii. And like i said, there is no actual pluralization from the original word. Both virii and viruses are correct.