Is Dell good?

Thomas23

LOL. Good metaphor. I was wondering Jonhy. Do you know anything aobut cyperpowersystem.com. Becasue i heard they were good and they are kinda cheap as well. I was lookign at them becasue it looks like they have nice computers. Also is there anyway i could get a Dell ispiron 9300 with a AMD processor? PLease tell me if you know any info on cyberpowersystem.com Thanks.

alanuofm

VIP Member
LOL. Good metaphor. I was wondering Jonhy. Do you know anything aobut cyperpowersystem.com.
i've heard reviews both ways. there laptops aren't too bad but you pay a good price for them. there video card technology for their laptops are lagging behind as well.

Becasue i heard they were good and they are kinda cheap as well.
where?
I
was lookign at them becasue it looks like they have nice computers. Also is there anyway i could get a Dell ispiron 9300 with a AMD processor?
no.

Thomas23

Ah ok. Ill look at Toshiba nad HP and stuff. Im sorry for asking so many questions. I jsut want a nice computer.

alanuofm

VIP Member
Thomas23 said:
Ah ok. Ill look at Toshiba nad HP and stuff. Im sorry for asking so many questions. I jsut want a nice computer.

look at the toshiba m-45 or m-50 dont remember which one. they are nice.

Thomas23

Ahh!!! Why do all these companies use Intel processors. I have the beleif that AMD processors are better for gaming. Is this true? ANd for future refrence could someone tell me the differance between AMD or Intel processors. Thanks.

Holiday

My sister got a DELL laptop INSPIRON 8100, win Me, Intel pen 3, 20GB hd, well let’s see
The DVD ROM scratches disks and almost never can read them, the removable CD burner
Does not stay shut so we have to tape it closed, the power cord just stopped working
and it is some funny DELL male plug that you can only get from DELL, we go a three year
Warranty which is now over, but when we where still covered by warranty the video card
Went up, they did fix it though, it is a piece of JUNK!

Johnnyboy0056

hey thomas. yea, amd processors are more geared toward gaming and intel processors more towards multitasking. if u get an intel it will run the games, so dont misunderstand.i know emachines makes computers with athlon processors. however, i dont know about their laptop selection and what variety you are going to find. ill check back in with you later.

Curt

I can not express my utter hatred with dell (laptops and desktops). I work at a computer shop and Dell is one of the most common computers we see (along with Gateway which is actually way worse). We also sell Dells here (much to my dismay). Their "deals" are so unstable, one day they are good prices the next day they overprice it's their way of meeting themselves in the middle so in reality they aren't cutting too many deals. And why are they good prices? Well, they use cheap parts. Trust me I know I work with them everyday. They also customize a lot of the hardware so it isn't interchangeable with most computer parts, what does this mean? You have to order it from them, but when you call them to try and get that part they conveniantly don't make it anymore (even for computers less than a year old). This has happened to me over and over again. Luckily I know some great suppliers that can get me about an dell part I want for cheap. The reason Dell does this is because they know their parts are not made to last and when something goes out on the computer they want you to come back and buy a new computer.
I recently found a website that also has good dell parts incase anyone is interested. www.dellmedic.com
But as for the nature of this thread, seriously stay away from Dell...shady operation if you ask me. And about newegg.com, they are the best, I actually just recieved a whole bunch of stuff from them last night (3 days early)...cheap prices, friendly, fast.

There is a reason Dell rhymes with Hell. :p

alanuofm

VIP Member
Curt said:
I can not express my utter hatred with dell (laptops and desktops). I work at a computer shop and Dell is one of the most common computers we see (along with Gateway which is actually way worse). We also sell Dells here (much to my dismay). Their "deals" are so unstable, one day they are good prices the next day they overprice it's their way of meeting themselves in the middle so in reality they aren't cutting too many deals. And why are they good prices? Well, they use cheap parts. Trust me I know I work with them everyday. They also customize a lot of the hardware so it isn't interchangeable with most computer parts, what does this mean? You have to order it from them, but when you call them to try and get that part they conveniantly don't make it anymore (even for computers less than a year old). This has happened to me over and over again. Luckily I know some great suppliers that can get me about an dell part I want for cheap. The reason Dell does this is because they know their parts are not made to last and when something goes out on the computer they want you to come back and buy a new computer.
I recently found a website that also has good dell parts incase anyone is interested. www.dellmedic.com
But as for the nature of this thread, seriously stay away from Dell...shady operation if you ask me. And about newegg.com, they are the best, I actually just recieved a whole bunch of stuff from them last night (3 days early)...cheap prices, friendly, fast.

There is a reason Dell rhymes with Hell. :p

considering so many people have dells of course they are the most brought in. kind of like how windows xp has virus problems and everyone says how OS X is better.

there deals are not unstable.

and dell laptops are one of the easiest to dissassemble. i have no problem installing new parts.

Thomas23

Well. I kinda heard the same that Curt said. My mom had a laptop with Dell and one day while it was docked in a workstation and it caught on fire. I mean i dont konw why it caught on fire, but i jsut know it caught on fire. lol. Also i heard from a close frined who works wiht computers that Dell uses old part in new systems or something like that. Well if Dell isnt good, newegg.com is confusing kinda and doenst really have what i want, cyberpowersystem.com is expensize, ibuypower.com not really sure how they are, and of course the reagular companies like Toshiba and HP have al arg selection, but im still not sure what to buy from there.

alanuofm

VIP Member
Thomas23 said:
Well. I kinda heard the same that Curt said. My mom had a laptop with Dell and one day while it was docked in a workstation and it caught on fire. I mean i dont konw why it caught on fire, but i jsut know it caught on fire. lol. Also i heard from a close frined who works wiht computers that Dell uses old part in new systems or something like that. Well if Dell isnt good, newegg.com is confusing kinda and doenst really have what i want, cyberpowersystem.com is expensize, ibuypower.com not really sure how they are, and of course the reagular companies like Toshiba and HP have al arg selection, but im still not sure what to buy from there.

maybe laptops just arent ment for you :)

Thomas23

LOL. What the hell is that supposed to mean. Im jsut asking for help on getting the best one. Im sure your joking and im not taking it serioulsy. oO. Well i will stop asking if someone will help me find a good one that isnt Dell.

alanuofm

VIP Member
rofl i was joking. yes i like toshibas. im not a big fan of HP with their lineup of video cards. IBM's thinkpads are one of the toughest out there. they are little bit more expensive compared to dell and toshiba but are rock solid.

Curt

alanuofm said:
considering so many people have dells of course they are the most brought in. kind of like how windows xp has virus problems and everyone says how OS X is better.

there deals are not unstable.

and dell laptops are one of the easiest to dissassemble. i have no problem installing new parts.

People have plenty of other computers too, sorry let me rephrase that....more of the HARDWARE problems that come in are Dells

Their deals are pretty shady. They charge too much for a lot of stuff. Their whole "build it yourself" setup is a joke. If people REALLY want a computer built for them, they can come to me (or any other honest computer tech) and we could build them a better computer for almost half the price. I have seen Dell say "This comes with a free flat panel but if you don't want the flat panel then the computer is $100 cheaper".....if it was free then how is taking it off $100 cheaper? Because in reality it's not "free". That is just one example of how their deals are unstable and flawed. The company I work for is an authorized reseller of Dell machines so I see their "deals" every day and every day I have to shake my head. But people want Dell because it's a name and everyone always wants to buy a name.
And no the laptops aren't hard to disassemble. But some of their shell style desktops give me a headache. I have changed about 5 front power switch (not the button on the front bezel but the actual switches) due to the switches going out. And on the way those shell cases are designed doesn't make it the easiest to do the repair. Now, it's not like I was unable to do it, but the design is totally ridiculous.

alanuofm

VIP Member
Curt said:
People have plenty of other computers too, sorry let me rephrase that....more of the HARDWARE problems that come in are Dells

Their deals are pretty shady. They charge too much for a lot of stuff. Their whole "build it yourself" setup is a joke. If people REALLY want a computer built for them, they can come to me (or any other honest computer tech) and we could build them a better computer for almost half the price. I have seen Dell say "This comes with a free flat panel but if you don't want the flat panel then the computer is $100 cheaper".....if it was free then how is taking it off $100 cheaper? Because in reality it's not "free". That is just one example of how their deals are unstable and flawed. The company I work for is an authorized reseller of Dell machines so I see their "deals" every day and every day I have to shake my head. But people want Dell because it's a name and everyone always wants to buy a name.
And no the laptops aren't hard to disassemble. But some of their shell style desktops give me a headache. I have changed about 5 front power switch (not the button on the front bezel but the actual switches) due to the switches going out. And on the way those shell cases are designed doesn't make it the easiest to do the repair. Now, it's not like I was unable to do it, but the design is totally ridiculous.

keep in mind this is the laptop section. never said dell computers are good. i dislike them myself because of their proprietary stuff. there laptops are probably the least expensive in the market. my campus has 15,000 dell desktops however. they have to be doing something right.

ViperGTS19801

Originally Posted by Thomas23: Are Dells good?

Do bears sing lullaby's? Is Oprah skinny? Does the Catholic Church have morals?

Dell < shit. They outsourced their tech support, so all you get is indians who read off a sheet of Q&A's, and are convinced that for some reason you don't have the computer plugged into the friggin wall. They're all idiots.

i cant count how many times ive sent my laptop back for repair

when you do send it back they dont fix everything and you have to send it back again and so on

the ethernet port, left speaker, and headphones jack are still broken and need to be replaced by dell because they "forgot" to do it the last 40 freakin times ive sent it back

i wouldnt ever reccomend getting a dell