Is it even worth WEP?

bkribbs

With my computer, for some reason, I can't connect to WPA networks. Is it worth haveing a WEP network since they are so easily hackable? Or should I just leave it open?

linksys

With my computer, for some reason, I can't connect to WPA networks. Is it worth haveing a WEP network since they are so easily hackable? Or should I just leave it open?

some security is better than NO security you should be able to make the network name hidden through the router settings that will help a little more.

bkribbs

some security is better than NO security you should be able to make the network name hidden through the router settings that will help a little more.

That will stop is from working still... So I will just use WEP. What are the requirements for a WEP password? I thought it was like 5 letters and 5 digits? and I want it to read something specific, not random.

tremmor

thats what i do. use house number and street. that works. what fits and gets in there. i would not make it complicated. you do have to access again. i would not use it without some kind of encryption.

linksys

That will stop is from working still... So I will just use WEP. What are the requirements for a WEP password? I thought it was like 5 letters and 5 digits? and I want it to read something specific, not random.

most of the routers available you can hide or not broadcast the SSID (Service Set Identifier) or known as network name of the network some computers will see that there is a network there but youll have to know the name of the network in order to get on OR youll have to manually create the network on your computer both of which ill be gladly to help

no wpa if i remember is like a min. of 8 letters or numbers and WEP encryption is 64bit encryption of 10 hex digits and 128 bit is 26 hex digits (hex digits combination of letters and numbers)

you can use a phrase but with WEP it "translates" the phrase to a hex number with letters so either way your not just going to be able to just put the phrase you want in and connect to the Net.

WPA is the only one that you can use a phrase as the WPA shared key

also if you could tell me the make and model number of the computer make and model of the wireless card, and make and model of the router with a version number so i can see if we can find some updates for your equipment so you can use WPA

bkribbs

thats what i do. use house number and street. that works. what fits and gets in there. i would not make it complicated. you do have to access again. i would not use it without some kind of encryption.

So could I use something like 546AWESOME

if that was my address? and where would I type that? In the "passphrase" box?
or the "key" box?

and if it is the key, do i type that in all of them?

linksys

if that was my address? and where would I type that? In the "passphrase" box?
or the "key" box?

and if it is the key, do i type that in all of them?

no it wont i just tried it on my linksys in the key box so youll have to put it in the passphrase box and it will translate

have you tried updating your wireless driver in device manager?

linksys

ill be on a little later got some stuff to do now if ya still need help with it just leave a reply ill get back atchya

linksys

online utility

its easy on the router end of it to change all the settings most of the settings as far as wireless are pretty strait forward

have you/ or do you know how to use the online setup utility??
in your internet browser type

should come up with a logon screen type in your username and password if you have one if not then the default is username left blank and password admin

also the problem you said its complicated where you talking about the computer or the router???

linkin

VIP Member
Yeah you might have to enable certain features in your router's config. I know that my old telstra bigpond router had to be configured properly to be able to use WPA2-PSK

bkribbs

Nah it is just my computer. The router works fine. I know how to do most stuff like port forwarding and WPA and other stuff. I just don't really get the WEP, which is the best security that I can use.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It's definitely still worth it. WEP will stop the majority of people from getting on your network. Seriously, most people aren't hackers, they just see a network and connect to it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's definitely still worth it. WEP will stop the majority of people from getting on your network. Seriously, most people aren't hackers, they just see a network and connect to it.

Agreed. I think the majority of people are overconcerned about the security on the router when they don't need to be.

linksys

Agreed. I think the majority of people are overconcerned about the security on the router when they don't need to be.

no i beleive what hes sayin is he doesnt quite understand WEP and thats the only encryption he can use on his comp.

bkribbs

no i beleive what hes sayin is he doesnt quite understand WEP and thats the only encryption he can use on his comp.

I understand how to make one, but it always comes out as something like J4H2B50FUS, which I don't like. I would like to have a custom one like 234AMAZING or something similar. And I agree, now that I think about it, the majority of the people that would connect to it wouldn't be able to hack a WEP.

linksys

I understand how to make one, but it always comes out as something like J4H2B50FUS, which I don't like. I would like to have a custom one like 234AMAZING or something similar. And I agree, now that I think about it, the majority of the people that would connect to it wouldn't be able to hack a WEP.

have you tried a different wireless utilty to connect to the networks i had a friend who had the same problem and found a different wireless utility and it allowed him to get on WPA nets. cant remember the name tho i think the easiest way would be to go through device manager and find the name model number of your wifi card in your laptop do a google search for wireless utilitys that are compatable with it or if there is an update for the one you have

Last edited:

PohTayToez

Hexadecimal only uses A though F, so if you wanted to spells something out you would only be able to use those letters.

Have you downloaded all of the Windows updates on your computer? If you're still using Windows XP SP1, then that can only do WEP, but if you upgrade to SP2 you will be able to use WPA and WPA2, so long as your wireless adapter supports it.

As far as the security of WEP, as others have said, it's widely considered to be insecure. It's breakable, however it's somewhat unlikely that someone living near you would see it, have the know how, and then dedicate the time and energy to break into your home network.