Is it even worth WEP?

tyttebøvs

It's definitely still worth it. WEP will stop the majority of people from getting on your network. Seriously, most people aren't hackers, they just see a network and connect to it.

You also don't protect yourself against the wast majority of people. You protect yourself against the few people that want to gain illegal access. WEP will not stop them.

You also don't need to be a "hacker" to break in. In five mins you can download GUI-software to do it. Push a button, and you are in.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
You also don't protect yourself against the wast majority of people. You protect yourself against the few people that want to gain illegal access. WEP will not stop them.

You also don't need to be a "hacker" to break in. In five mins you can download GUI-software to do it. Push a button, and you are in.

But which one of your neighbors care enough to download a program to crack your wireless internet? Seems like a complete waste of time to me. I can say literally every neighbor around me has wireless broadband internet and nobody will bother to use anyone elses. Maybe if you live in a high rise or something it'd be a bit more crucial as there are more people around you. But for people living in the suburbs it's really kind of pointless.

Aastii

VIP Member
like pohtaytoez said, WEP uses hexadecimal digits, which are 0-9, A-F.

You can make something out of that, or let it randomise one and remember it. For instance I know mine off the top of my head to be 2673d2d1aa. It used to be something else that I knew, and whenever we changed it or got a new router, I'd put it in myself. You can input your own and it will work, but can only use those digits

tyttebøvs

But which one of your neighbors care enough to download a program to crack your wireless internet? Seems like a complete waste of time to me. I can say literally every neighbor around me has wireless broadband internet and nobody will bother to use anyone elses. Maybe if you live in a high rise or something it'd be a bit more crucial as there are more people around you. But for people living in the suburbs it's really kind of pointless.

So because you think it is pointless, you won't protect yourself?

PohTayToez

Not exactly. You need a wireless card with the right chipset, and most guides recommend using two wireless cards and computers. And the software itself isn't exactly user friendly. I'm not saying it's super hard, but any idiot wouldn't be able to figure it out.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Even idiots can do it. Even youtube has plenty of guides to do it :)

Any idiot can pick up a knife and stab you, but that doesn't mean you walk around everyday paranoid for your life. Sure people can do it, but 99% of the people won't. I'm not advocating for WEP use over WPA/2, I'm just saying that if it's the only thing you've got, chances are that it'll work well enough.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok guys, everybody has an opinion and they've been said. Now lets stop before the arguing starts. Maybe a business network would need higher wireless security but a normal home network would be fine on WEP.

tyttebøvs

I am baffled. Are you people really greenlighting WEP? So when people browse by here, they will get a feeling that they are well protected by using WEP?

You are not living in the real world, or you don't really understand network security.

tyttebøvs

Using WEP and stuff like MAC filtering is like writing a note on your door that it is locked and then pretend that it is.

PohTayToez

Using WEP and stuff like MAC filtering is like writing a note on your door that it is locked and then pretend that it is.

No, using WEP is like locking door but leaving your second story window open. Yeah, someone can get it, but it's pretty unlikely that they would make the effort when there are plenty of other unlocked doors in the neighborhood.

tyttebøvs

but it's pretty unlikely

Again, that it leaving your security to chances. That it just stupid.

I can pin a note to that: people that search for great download speed (those people actually exist), they will exploit whatever they can get close to. And WEP-protected networks won't stop them - not even if there are open ones next to you (yours could be the best in the range).

Last edited:

PohTayToez

Again, that it leaving your security to chances. That it just stupid.

I can pin a note to that: people that search for great download speed (those people actually exist), they will exploit whatever they can get close to. And WEP-protected networks won't stop them - not even if there are open ones next to you (yours could be the best in the range).

Now you're just fishing for arguments. People don't got around breaking into WEP networks just searching for faster download rates, and even if they were then that wouldn't technically be a security risk, if they just wanted to download and not try and steal any of your information. And they especially wouldn't do it if there were unsecured networks within range, now you're just making preposterous claims.

The worry the average person would have with wireless network security is having financial and online account information compromised. People that hunt for this sort of information don't attack WEP encrypted networks. They would have to set outside your house for hours, waiting for you do access something useful online. No, these people data mine public WiFi spots and unsecured networks, because these are the networks that are likely being used by multiple people at any given time, so there will be a much better chance of obtaining someone's valuable information.

I'm not saying that WEP is secure, because we all no it's not. It would be ridiculous for any business or high profile individual to use WEP. But the average person doesn't really need to worry about a WEP secured network anymore than they would need to worry about someone climbing in their second story window.

tyttebøvs

Oh well. Live in your dream world. Just don't try and convince people that it is safe to use WEP just because there exist open networks. That is just a ridiculous argument.

PohTayToez

Oh well. Live in your dream world. Just don't try and convince people that it is safe to use WEP just because there exist open networks. That is just a ridiculous argument.

It's cute how you substitute personal insults for logical reasoning.

Last edited:

bkribbs

It's cute how you substitute personal insults for logical reasoning.

Oh lordy. Sorry guys, but I wasn't trying to start an arguement. Lets agree:

-WPA2 is best.
-If you can't use WPA2, use WPA.
-If you can't use WPA, use WEP.
-Don't leave the network open unless required for some odd reason.
-A WEP network isn't very secure, but it is better that nothing.

Ok?

Last edited: