Is it really that much cheaper..

sun_kissed_0

Is it really that much cheaper to build your own computer, than it is to buy one??

I'm up for it, even though I'm as new as you could get with hardware, I just wanna know if it's that much cheaper.

-Danielle

HumanMage

It is that much cheaper. to try it out for yourself, look at a pre-built system, and look at the parts. next go to newegg or tigerdirect and check the prices, simple as that. it is shocking to see how much more it is to buy pre-built.

sun_kissed_0

Yeah i've been trying to research. Thanks for your advice. I'm i looking at it right? Newegg only has 13 cases?? Is newegg and tigerdirect (which i haven't visited yet) the only places i can get cases?

epidemik

Yeah, newegg has hundreds of cases (745 to be exact :p http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=7&N=2010090007)

As far as the price goes, it generally is cheaper to build yourself however it gets really close when you get into budget computers.

If youre looking at sub-$500 computers, pre-built ones will be extremely close (if not cheaper) than building yourself. But, you still have the huge advantage of higher quality parts and therefore, its still worth it to build yourself.

Bodaggit23

I built an AMD X2 system with 2 gigs of RAM for my kids for under $300.00

I have seen some good deals on prebuilt though too. It just depends on
what hardware is in it.

Twist86

Yes if your a smart buyer you can save a lot.

The plus with building it by yourself is the fact you know what is in your PC. A lot of pre-built machines have crappy parts and cheap parts which overclock poorly and can run poorly too.

Least with my rig I know its not only built right but I spent less then buying it pre-built.

awildgoose

Yes it is. Where are you from?
Because if you are not in or near the U.S. then newegg and tigerdirect won't help you much.
For people around Australia msy.com.au is the best.:D

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
For people around Australia msy.com.au is the best.
The cheapest, yes, but the best... I've heard their customer service is shitty, though I've never tried them. Another cheapo site would be itestate.com.au

For unrivaled service in AU, try www.pccasegear.com.au or www.megapc.com.au

EDIT: ON TOPIC:
For high-end, definitely. For mid-range, in most cases, sometimes significantly. If you're on a extremely tight budget and need the whole lot (computer, peripheral, OS), prebuilt PCs often offer better value for the price.

Last edited:

fmw

Depends. If you compare it to a brand name computer then it should come in about 1/2 the price. If you buy a white box or custom computer, you can save about 20% by building it yourself. The advantage of having it built by a white box maker is that it will arrive already working and tested and everything will be compatible. If that's worth 20% then that's a good way to go.

sun_kissed_0

Yes it is. Where are you from?
Because if you are not in or near the U.S. then newegg and tigerdirect won't help you much.
For people around Australia msy.com.au is the best.:D

I'm from florida..I would love to live in australia though! If i could go anywhere that's where i'd go first! :]

sun_kissed_0

Alright, cool. Thanks everyone. And elimin8tor you wrote that article?? that's pretty cool, and yeah it's pretty nifty :)

sun_kissed_0

I don't wanna be a thread whore or needy newbie lol....so I'll just post under this thread. What the heck is the difference between 64 & 32 bit, like for Windows Vista??

...Excuse my language... I donno if that's allowed :/

Sean89

I don't wanna be a thread whore or needy newbie lol....so I'll just post under this thread. What the heck is the difference between 64 & 32 bit, like for Windows Vista??

...Excuse my language... I donno if that's allowed :/

vista 64 lets you recognize, use more ram as far as i know thats really the only difference. Its better if you build too, i recently ordered all my stuff from newegg and it shipped from ca i think only cost me 12 bucks to get it to florida

sun_kissed_0

I see...so if i wanted a pretty nice, smoothe computer I wouldn't really want to go with the 32 bit? I just keep seeing all these deals with motherboards saying that they come with windows vista ultimate 32 bit, and I'm just wondering if i'd really be getting a good deal...

Sean89

I see...so if i wanted a pretty nice, smoothe computer I wouldn't really want to go with the 32 bit? I just keep seeing all these deals with motherboards saying that they come with windows vista ultimate 32 bit, and I'm just wondering if i'd really be getting a good deal...

32bit runs just fine just say if you install 4gb of ram the computer will only use like 3.2gb of ram because of 32bit limitations. As for getting a deal look for the price of just the motherboard/os add them up and see how much you save, usually it says how much you save though.