Is my computer still good?

jeremyp

On atomic (computer gaming magazine etc) they reviewed an xfx 4770 and it can run crysis on highish settings at 35 fps. Maybe you would want to consider that just to be safe.

Last edited:

RJTamm93

Id be iffy about running anything like that on a 400W, especially if you consider upgrading to a quad. That is a great graphics processor though, and XFX has the best warranty in the business.

Well I think I'm going to hold off on the processor until Quad Cores come down in price. Sure my dual core is aging a little bit, I feel it still has life in it though.

I finally got home last night though and looked inside my Dell I guess I was way off its a generic 375watt PSU. I've never had problems with heat though. When I game I usually keep the side cover off and my room stays around 70-72 degrees fahrenheit. I guess I could buy the GPU and see how it works...

RJTamm93

+1

you install a GPU in there and your probably going to see sparks unless you get something like a 9400GT a new PSU is defiantly in order if you wont a good card.

I looked some online and it appears that A) With the 4850 and my system components peak would be around 360-400 watts. B) Many companies over rate their GPU's due to all the craptacular PSU's that can't handle their rated power. C) Dell seems to have very good and at least decent PSU's and under-rate their PSU's by about 75 watts. D) Many people are running 9800gt's and 4870's in their XPS 410's just like mine with no problems.

JakeUSMC

I suggest stopping the penny pinching and just get a new PSU. It will help with future upgrade anyhow... parts aren't using less power as time goes by... also it's safe to have a PSU that will meet your power needs at 80% efficiency, not 100% efficiency

Fatback

VIP Member
I looked some online and it appears that A) With the 4850 and my system components peak would be around 360-400 watts. B) Many companies over rate their GPU's due to all the craptacular PSU's that can't handle their rated power. C) Dell seems to have very good and at least decent PSU's and under-rate their PSU's by about 75 watts. D) Many people are running 9800gt's and 4870's in their XPS 410's just like mine with no problems.

A) I wont to see where you read all this B) You put to much strain on the PSU and it is going to blow and probably take some of the computer with it C) Dell does not under-rate the PSU's at all if anything they over-rate them D) watts have very little to do with powering a computer its all about the Amps and how many watts are coming from the +12 rail.

We are just trying to help you and I don't wont to see your computer go up in smoke because you wanted to save a little money. Rule #1 when building a computer power supply is the first part you decide on and build the rest of the system around it. The PSU is the most important part in the computer and with out it the computer is just a big paper weight.

RJTamm93

A) I wont to see where you read all this B) You put to much strain on the PSU and it is going to blow and probably take some of the computer with it C) Dell does not under-rate the PSU's at all if anything they over-rate them D) watts have very little to do with powering a computer its all about the Amps and how many watts are coming from the +12 rail.

We are just trying to help you and I don't wont to see your computer go up in smoke because you wanted to save a little money. Rule #1 when building a computer power supply is the first part you decide on and build the rest of the system around it. The PSU is the most important part in the computer and with out it the computer is just a big paper weight.

Well I really DON'T have a lot of money. I actually probably will not have the money for another month or so.

I understand about the PSU, I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. Looks like buying a new PSU would probably be the way to go considering PSU aging will just keep tearing down the current one the next year anyway.

Thanks for all the help, I too, wouldn't want to see a chunk of my computer blow up (or whatever it does, the most i've ever had is a PSU failure from overheating on a very old computer)

Fatback

VIP Member
Well I really DON'T have a lot of money. I actually probably will not have the money for another month or so.

I understand about the PSU, I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. Looks like buying a new PSU would probably be the way to go considering PSU aging will just keep tearing down the current one the next year anyway.

Thanks for all the help, I too, wouldn't want to see a chunk of my computer blow up (or whatever it does, the most i've ever had is a PSU failure from overheating on a very old computer)

I understand about the money but you do not have to have a $100 PSU or anything like that there are plenty of $40-$50 PSU that will power a 4850 or 4870 if you are wanting something like the 4670 you posted then probably looking at a little over $100 for the card and a nice PSU. In another month I'm sure GPU and PSU prices will come down a little so when you get ready to buy just let us know. You can either post back in this thread or start a new one.

RJTamm93

I understand about the money but you do not have to have a $100 PSU or anything like that there are plenty of $40-$50 PSU that will power a 4850 or 4870 if you are wanting something like the 4670 you posted then probably looking at a little over $100 for the card and a nice PSU. In another month I'm sure GPU and PSU prices will come down a little so when you get ready to buy just let us know. You can either post back in this thread or start a new one.

Okay thanks :D