Is My External Hard-Drive Stuffed?

Hi All!

For about 6 months now, I keep getting this error message when trying to access my external hard-drive. Is it stuffed or will there be a way of recovering what's on it?

External Hard-Drive Error Message.JPG

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What brand is your external? You might be able to run a program to check for errors and it may fix them to where you can access the drive.

You'll want to download and run seatools.

The first link on that page. Run the extended test.
So yesterday I did this using that Software I clicked the Advanced tab then can't remember what I clicked and it's not coming up now but it did a long test and said "Passed". Does this mean no issues?

Still can't access the drive.

Darren

Staff member
Well that's good at least. Drive is physically ok, but looks like it got corrupted. Try check disk.

If that above doesn't work you'll need to get a data recovery company involved if that's worth it to you and the data.

Well that's good at least. Drive is physically ok, but looks like it got corrupted. Try check disk.

If that above doesn't work you'll need to get a data recovery company involved if that's worth it to you and the data.
What will a data recovery company be able do that I couldn't?

Okedokey

If you're inclined or cost is a consideration (with data recovery), you could try replacing the PCB, as long as you get the exact part, it could save you. Picture is for your model, but double check the part number.

1657029539839.png