Is my PSU dead?

PC eye

banned
Instead of being lead around blindly by motor mouth who sole intent is to trash every thread the problem isn't enough watts but amps on the rail to meet the minimum power requirements. Like I was saying before you can find good deals on various heavier model supplies but from where you can order from since newegg doesn't ship to where you are.

a123

Thanks for everyone's input.

the 380s actually has 24A on the 12v+ rail. The 9600gt requires 26A, but the computer was actually working for the longest time. Anyways...

Well, I picked up an OCZ ModXStream 600W today. I plugged it in, and sad to say, the problem was still there. Is it now safe to say its the motherboard?

PC eye

banned
Ouch! But that was the thing I was afraid of if you are still seeing the same problems. Is it starting up at all or doing nothing?

a123

Well, actually i didn't do extensive trials... it would just turn off like before. It happened twice and then i was just like "sighhh... good game" and then i put the old psu back in. lol.

are there anything else that i should still try? It doesn't seem like a software problem if it has problems before getting to windows, right? I'm considering taking the system to a shop to see if they can figure things out... of course i will give them a call to see how much they would charge first. Any thoughts? I've never had so many problem with a computer before.

PC eye

banned
With any number of hard boots running the check disk utility in Windows and downloading the diagnostics tools from the drive manufacturer will test the integrity of the hard drive itself. These will show if the drive is now seeing any bad sectors.

The sudden shut off however is usually seen with a temp problem like a cpu or video card overheating since you were just finishing up a gaming session or a weak cap on the board itself. You might want to go over the board very carefully to look for any bulged out or leaky caps as well as for any discolored areas with a fine toothed comb! Use one of those small led flashlights and a pocket magnifying glass if needed.

a123

I moved the hard drive over to another computer and scanned it and have no problems.

What i just discovered is that there's some "crap" on 3 of the capacitors (mini cylinder blocks... i think i got the term right) on the motherboard. It looks like something was leaking. Does that explain anything?

PC eye

banned
The constant shutoffs turning out to be something other then the supply would point at something on the board if not the board itself. I'm surprized I actually forgot to mention a visual inspection would be an idea for seeing if anything is seen since this is a common probllem for many boards that go.

Surprizingly even the new model boards seen out now with solid state caps can also run into a bad board on occasion. With the supply now being ruled out the board and cpu are basically the last items to consider even if the cpu temps on well within normal that could be going. But lookover the board carefully for anything that doesn't look right anyways.

Just missed each other apparently since that would point at bad caps being the actual cause! I was hoping you wouldn't run into that meaning a new board will now be needed unfortunately. :(

Hugh9191

Surprised i forgot about that too, seen loads of dodgey boards with bad caps, if its still under warentee you should be able to get a new board or a repair done for free, if your good with a soldering iron you could have a pop at changing them, if not a new board will be needed.

PC eye

banned
IF the warranty is still seen and valid you would let the manufacturer worry about any refurbishing there since they are equipped for this to start with plus it's their own headache to deal with! :p

Take advantage of that fact to see the board replaced hopefully for only shipping charges or decide on another good board that will still run the cpu, memory, video and/or sound cards, plus that new supply you now have!

a123

I just checked the warranty and it was just gone 3 months ago... i guess MSI timed it perfectly haha. I have yet to find a place that still sells socket 939 mobos. Maybe tiger direct would have some old stock; i'll go check it out.

Anyways, i just wanted to thank everyone once again on helping me diagnose the problem. :)

PC eye

banned
Since newegg apparently now ships to Canada you still wouldn't look to see what they "don't" have! But this is a rather bad time in several ways since most vendors like to see older inventory cleared out before the end of their business year!

I was hoping it wouldn't have come to this since you know what that means! Newegg saw two Socket A boards but no 939 models at all there. The usual vendors here have nothing to offer for 939 models either while still seeing Socket A boards instock. :(

BTE computer has nothing in a 939. One place where you have to be a member does have two Foxconn models listed at http://www.lynxit.net/index.php?cPath=95_100&osCsid=a837d5ffd363640d6b5305b8dbca4afb

One other thing to look over would be a general listing for computer stores seen at http://buyitcanada.com/Computers/