Is New Worth It?

Forevermore1337

I have a DVD/CD-RW burner combo in the computer i am using right now. For my new build, i was thinking i should just take this old drive and stick it in the new build. Is this a bad idea? It is still an IDE, but it works for everything i need it to, and i don't see the need to spend the money where it's really not needed. Is a SATA drive going to work better for me? (Because, when you look at it, $24 really doesn't hurt that much).
Thanks.

PC eye

banned
For this build when replacing the last I simply moved out of the ide dvd burner still in use on the last case for a sata model burner seen in this one. But I still kept the ide cd writer due to the faster read time for any game that requires the game's disk(cd) be in the drive. Eventually I will replace that with a sata type and eliminate alll need for ide all together.

Sata cables are thin compared to the wide flat ribbon type while you can't really expect to see any great boost changing drive types. While the sata bus is faster the drives are still restrained by the ide standards seeing that hardware limitation imposed.

Better air flow, easier to work with, less space taken up by cables are three things to look at right off. You eventually may want to order some orange colored sata data cables rather then depend solely on the red ones included with any new board. I can't recall the manufacturer for the ones ordered here but they are definitely higher quality.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I have a DVD/CD-RW burner combo in the computer i am using right now. For my new build, i was thinking i should just take this old drive and stick it in the new build. Is this a bad idea? It is still an IDE, but it works for everything i need it to, and i don't see the need to spend the money where it's really not needed. Is a SATA drive going to work better for me? (Because, when you look at it, $24 really doesn't hurt that much).
Thanks.

Will work just fine, All new boards have atleast 1 IDE port.

PC eye

banned
See how short and clearly understandable it can be done...

Why you don't like it when someone points out any alternatives? Any working drive can simply be moved from one case to another. However when most plan to keep an old case as a spare or to pass it along then you realize new drives will be needed to see that done.

For a new gaming build why stick with the old ide format when able to see better air flow with the use of a sata drive using much thinner cables. You have to be able to look at more then one thing.

Forevermore1337 that's entirely upto you there to decide if you want to set that aside as a spare or simply run it in the next build. All anyone here can do is simply point the options you have available.

StrangleHold

Staff member
He stated he already knew what a Sata drive is, so I would say he knows what a Sata cable looks like. There is no performance advantage either. And IDE cables are easily tucked away for air flow.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Not always! It depends on how the type of case and how it is arranged internally. Sata data cables are also easier to tie together and secure out of the way.

Then you have the alternative to the typical grey flat ribbon to more durable dual nylon covered round ide cables like the Antec Cobra series you can take and use from one build to the next. http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/cables/antec_cobra/index.htm

You can't simply tuck those away while they will last far longer then any flat ribbon type as a general rule.

PC eye

banned
If no one ever talks about them no one else will even know those are out there to begin with besides simply being an alternative to flat ribbon cables.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If no one ever talks about them no one else will even know those are out there to begin with besides simply being an alternative to flat ribbon cables.

Well I'll be. And God said, Let there be light and there was light. And God saw the light, and it was good.

PC eye

banned
If you want to start a thread on that subject take it to the offtopic section thank you! Otherwise stay on the original topic not brain dead remarks! :rolleyes:

StrangleHold

Staff member
God finished his work which he had made, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

scooter

banned
God finished his work which he had made, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Did he have beer?

Also, I assume since hes god he can get those delightful cans of spray cheese for crackers..? Mmmm..

Can't get it in canada...:(

PC eye

banned
Was that at me??

Simply take a look at the ranting someone else is making for that answer. No it wasn't specifically directed at you alone. For you just a reminder, for someone else a good swift kick in .... is needed there for obvious reasons!

Forevermore1337

Ok. Well thank you all for your suggestions. I guess i'll just have to decide, seeing as how there's really no performance difference. Thanks again.