Is the iPhone 5 really worth it?

Wide_eyedPony

Thinking of getting an iPhone 5 to upgrade from my piece of shit phone at the moment; but i thought i'd get some advice on the competition, coz i really have no idea what else is out there and whether any of it measures up to apple's latest and, allegedly, greatest?

DMGrier

VIP Member
Some people love there iphones and that is good for them, I had a iphone 4 S and I absolutely hated it. This might be because I started on android but to much proprietary, lack of customization to the gui and from what I have read it is starting to become harder to find free apps which don't get me wrong I don't mind paying for apps but if there is a free version that is just as good I am not going to pay for it.

I got a galaxy S3 and by far the best damn phone I have ever had. That is the phone I would recommend to you and in my opinion I feel it is a better phone.

PhotonCrasher

if u want to get a phone that ul keep for ages u might want to get one with NFC or wait for apples next phone, which will probably include it

spirit

Staff member
Samsung Galaxy SIII is a beautiful phone. I have a (very lucky) friend who has one and it is a fantastic phone. Loved it when I had a go on it.

lucasbytegenius

What have you read about it that you have not liked about it?

I don't like the fact that Apple didn't change that much. I really wanted to see a complete and total redesign that looked nothing like the iPhone 4, which we didn't get. Instead Apple just slapped a crappy aluminum plate on the back and called it "all new". The estimated specs seem nice and the bigger screen might be cool but I really don't like the meh factor surrounding it. A lot of other people agree.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I don't like the fact that Apple didn't change that much. I really wanted to see a complete and total redesign that looked nothing like the iPhone 4, which we didn't get. Instead Apple just slapped a crappy aluminum plate on the back and called it "all new". The estimated specs seem nice and the bigger screen might be cool but I really don't like the meh factor surrounding it. A lot of other people agree.

I can understand that, not trying to sound messed up but Mr. Jobs is gone now so it is all about the money now. Are the specs on par with new android phones coming out? I don't know if they could build it more beast then my galaxy S3, I mean a 1.4 Ghz quad core and a GB of memory makes it a very beastly phone.

Ethan3.14159

I'm personally not impressed at all with the new iPhone and will most likely be getting an Android phone instead.
You can have my One X then. :p I can't wait to get rid of it, and go back to iOS. I'm sick and tired of poor quality, hideous apps. And I'm sick of not knowing when my next software update is coming. Jelly Bean has been out for months, but I have no idea when my One X will get it. Compare that to my original 3GS from 2009 that will get iOS 6 the day it's released.

If you are going to go to Android then the Nexus phones are the ONLY Android phones even worth considering. They aren't bogged down by obtrusive UI skins (Sense, Touchwiz) and you'll get the latest OS pretty much when it comes out.

There's nothing radically different they can really do with the iPhone. Apple design is really about taking away any excess until they have the simplest, most intuitive device available. They pretty much accomplished that with the iPhone 4. From here on out it will most likely be incremental improvements.

Last edited:

lucasbytegenius

You can have my One X then. :p I can't wait to get rid of it, and go back to iOS. I'm sick and tired of poor quality, hideous apps. And I'm sick of not knowing when my next software update is coming. Jelly Bean has been out for months, but I have no idea when my One X will get it. Compare that to my original 3GS from 2009 that will get iOS 6 the day it's released.

If you are going to go to Android then the Nexus phones are the ONLY Android phones even worth considering. They aren't bogged down by obtrusive UI skins (Sense, Touchwiz) and you'll get the latest OS pretty much when it comes out.

There's nothing radically different they can really do with the iPhone. Apple design is really about taking away any excess until they have the simplest, most intuitive device available. They pretty much accomplished that with the iPhone 4. From here on out it will most likely be incremental improvements.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a Nexus phone as well, wanted something officially made/designed by Google.

speedyink

VIP Member
I love my Galaxy Nexus. There was something special about trying out Jellybean the day it was announced =D

And that's just one of the things I love about it..

And nexus or galaxy S3 would be great. The DROID Razr m, and one x are also great. The IPhone is not worth it. Their app store sucks to navigate, the IPhone is to damn simple for geeks like us (at least for me). And it's by Apple. When somebody builds a computer and uses a IPhone, I get offended. I think apple fanboy or extreme tech novice when I see IPhone (like my grandma).

Ethan3.14159

And nexus or galaxy S3 would be great. The DROID Razr m, and one x are also great. The IPhone is not worth it. Their app store sucks to navigate, the IPhone is to damn simple for geeks like us (at least for me). And it's by Apple. When somebody builds a computer and uses a IPhone, I get offended. I think apple fanboy or extreme tech novice when I see IPhone (like my grandma).
Because something is simple or intuitive it means geeks shouldn't use it? Simple is good! Simple is the best damn thing to happen to smartphones since it means I can actually spend more time doing stuff on my phone. Any good engineer will tell you that ultimate simplicity is the sign of a great product. Android is definitely making strides in that area, and Jelly Bean is quite enjoyable on my Nexus 7. However, no first time user, geek or no, can pick up an Android device up and navigate and use it comfortably like iOS.

I find iOS much more fun to mod that Android, and therefore better for "geeks." An interesting article from a long time Android fanboy. Forget Android: The iPhone is a better phone for hacking, tweaking, and customization

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
Because something is simple or intuitive it means geeks shouldn't use it? Simple is good! Simple is the best damn thing to happen to smartphones since it means I can actually spend more time doing stuff on my phone. Any good engineer will tell you that ultimate simplicity is the sign of a great product. Android is definitely making strides in that area, and Jelly Bean is quite enjoyable on my Nexus 7. However, no first time user, geek or no, can pick up an Android device up and navigate and use it comfortably like iOS.

I find iOS much more fun to mod that Android, and therefore better for "geeks." An interesting article from a long time Android fanboy. Forget Android: The iPhone is a better phone for hacking, tweaking, and customization

I have to disagree, I find that article has some good points though. The amount of different roms that are coming out for Android make them easily customized. Not to mention just a little more open sourced free software.

Geoff

VIP Member
IMO Apple has lost their innovative edge with the iPhone and iOS, they no longer show off features that are new to the market.

I'm holding out on either the Samsung Note 2, Motorola RAZR MAXX HD, or HTC's 5" phablet.

ayan

I feel like i'm the only one alive to own an symbian device. Know what? it's pretty awesome. Crashes very rarely, behaves smoothly, and it's perfect for my use (i use internet on the phone only on special ocasions, like daily visit to the bathroom). Sony ericsson vivaz is the phone, and i freakin' love it. If I had the cash now, i'd get a Xperia S on android though.

Cyalume

As someone whos owned the 3GS, 4, and 4S, I don't have any plans to upgrade to a 5. I don't see any worthwhile changes between the 4 and the 5, and the 4S was a major disappointment. I may ship Android for the first time ever once I'm finally tired of my 4. (I sold the 4S shortly after purchasing it, didn't like it at all. Had the 4 for a little over 2 years now, since launch, may keep it another year or two before upgrading)

Eyeing that Galaxy S III.

I feel like i'm the only one alive to own an symbian device. Know what? it's pretty awesome. Crashes very rarely, behaves smoothly, and it's perfect for my use (i use internet on the phone only on special ocasions, like daily visit to the bathroom). Sony ericsson vivaz is the phone, and i freakin' love it. If I had the cash now, i'd get a Xperia S on android though.

I always have wanted a symbian device. I used to own a maemo device. To bad they are to expensive used :(