Is the iPhone 5 really worth it?

Ethan3.14159

How is rooting an Android phone any more stressful than jailbreaking? In fact, how are you not ripping your hair out when fiddling with an Apple device? I mean;
Dfu mode button hell (spent like an hour trying to get one to get into it...only to come to the conclusion the home button is screwed. Had there been any sort of visual cue on the device it would've been SO much easier to figure out)
Installing package files of older OS versions using iTunes, which then doesn't work because it only wants to install the newest version, so then you have to screw with hosts file, which only works sometimes making a 2 minute job turn into like an hour
I LOVE finding the best jailbreak tool/firmware version for said jailbreak tool, which of course is different for different iphone models and it's SO awesome to find out all the lovely quirks (had to break my brother's 3G's GPS in order to get what I wanted to work)
Uh oh, software update, have to start from scratch again
Cydia...oh man, what a shit show. Finding decent mods without following a youtube video is retarded. All this repository bullshit. Everything has to route through cydia involving jailbreaking, so you're stuck with it. Buggy and horrible looking app.

So yeah, in my experience modding Androids have caused me MUCH less headaches.

Since when does Android not have a massive community for mods and tweaks? It's called XDA Developers. It's THE major community website for Android modding that is SO much nicer than dealing with Cydia.
Either you haven't tried jailbreaking since iOS 2, or you're really doing it wrong. I'll give you DFU mode as the biggest pain when something goes wrong. But using older iOS versions is easy.. just get the .ipsw you're looking for and load it. Most of the time the jailbreaking tools have an .ipsw loader built in.

Compare jailbreakme from iOS 4 to unlocking and rooting any Android phone, and tell me what's less of a pain. And custom ROMs don't have reliability issues? Give me a break. :rolleyes: XDA developers may be a large community for hundreds of devices, but iPhone Dev Team is a large community for a handful of devices.

Yeah, Cydia is just terrible. One massive directory for mods right on the phone. :rolleyes: And if you don't like it it's not like there aren't a dozen Cydia alternatives.. oh wait! There are!

speedyink

VIP Member
Either you haven't tried jailbreaking since iOS 2, or you're really doing it wrong. I'll give you DFU mode as the biggest pain when something goes wrong. But using older iOS versions is easy.. just get the .ipsw you're looking for and load it. Most of the time the jailbreaking tools have an .ipsw loader built in.

Compare jailbreakme from iOS 4 to unlocking and rooting any Android phone, and tell me what's less of a pain. And custom ROMs don't have reliability issues? Give me a break. :rolleyes: XDA developers may be a large community for hundreds of devices, but iPhone Dev Team is a large community for a handful of devices.

Yeah, Cydia is just terrible. One massive directory for mods right on the phone. :rolleyes: And if you don't like it it's not like there aren't a dozen Cydia alternatives.. oh wait! There are!

Guess I've been plain unlucky. There are certain times where yes, jailbreaking has been easy. I've had my fair share of where it didn't go anywhere or it was very difficult. Most of these cases were older phones than current gen updated to more current gen firmware, and any iphone updated to the latest firmware.

"Compare jailbreakme from iOS 4 to unlocking and rooting any Android phone"..you're grouping them as a whole. Every brand is different, hell, even phones within brands are different. It's easy to research this BEFORE you choose your device. Or you could just go with the solid choice of a nexus, which is dead simple.

I never said anything about some custom roms having issues, but, along with the bad ones, there are very good ones out there as well. Again, depending on your device you'll have different qualities of custom roms. And again, because it's a forum with a huge community, it's quite easy to figure out which ones suck and which ones are good. This can also be researched before buying a device.

I don't like how Cydia is organized or how it functions, I swear I went through the whole thing and didn't find any of the cool stuff I saw on some people's phones. I was avoiding paid customizations..as the descriptions are usually vague and don't give you a good idea of what the mod will look like. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money figuring out which mods function well and which dont. I didn't know there were alternatives though, that's cool

Anywho, rather than hijack this thread further, lets just agree to disagree. I prefer one, you prefer another. No point in trying to change each others minds, that's just foolish.

Last edited: