Is there a limit with RAM?

davie23223

I have 3 ram slots that support pc100/133 sdram with one stick 256mb. My motherboard says i can expand up to a maximum of 768 mb ram. I buy 2 more 256mb sticks and upgrade and have a total of 768 ram. Is it possible that I can put a 512mb chip on my motherboard and get up to 1.5gig ram. What I don't understand is, when 256mb ram chips were out there were no 512mb ram chips. So is the max really 768 mb ram for my mobo, or can I go higher since they mad higher ram chips. Is it possible for me to upgrade to a 1.5gig? or maybe even a 3gig? as long as its pc100/133

Geoff

VIP Member
No, if your motherboard only supports 768mb then you cant put any more in. You would need to get a new motherboard if you want more than that.

Dilly man 2

basicly yea, limited by your mobo.
i guess you vould put more in, it just wont do anything? ot maybe only use UP TO 768mb?
but yea, anything higher than you limit wont work

Super_Nova

Check your motherboard manufacturer for a Bios upgrade. Bios upgrades may allow you to go beyond the original limits so flashing your bios might do the trick. Might not, it's worth checking out though.

spazz31585

well, my aunt's MB, the specs say that it can only hold up to a 128 stick sdram in each slot, and there is only two slots. so a max of 256
don't know for sure if it could hold more then that, but i know that her friend put a stick of 256 in one slot and it worked just fine although the max it supposedly could take is 128

some mobo's can, and from what i hear, some can't. and the ones that can't, i've heard some people talk about putting in too much ram and it frying the board, among other things.

some of them, like yours for example, may be designed that it literally can not handle anymore then 768. as there was none higher at the time, the board is not made to be able to handle anymore

anyways, best thing is, like someone else said, try doing a bios upgrade. that might help

tractorboy

you have answered your own question. if the mainboard will not accept more then 768m, anything over that is just warming the inside of your pc

BrandonL

well here's a question... why would u want/need that much space? what kind of programs, software, hardware do you have on your computer system? i use my computer all the time and i'm using only 3% of my 256mb. do you do alotta work on there?

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
BrandonL said:
well here's a question... why would u want/need that much space? what kind of programs, software, hardware do you have on your computer system? i use my computer all the time and i'm using only 3% of my 256m. do you do alotta work on there?

Are you running Windows XP? That uses alot of ram (around 128mb depending on what settings you choose).

For me, 1GB (1024MB) isnt enough, im always running pretty low when i play a game.

OS Dragon

I'm putting a new machine together and I've already bought 2GB of ram (when the mobo it supports 4GBs) so as soon as I've put it together and got enough money I'm gonna buy another set of cosair 2GB ram
grin.gif

tractorboy

There is no such thing as too much ram or tomany drive bays
as long as your mainboard support it and your os ( win 98 512 max)

the more ram you have the less has to be written out to your page file.
which is something everybody should check right now, the setting should be
1.5 x the size of physicall ram
click system in control panel, then advanced tab, then performance setting
then advanced again, depending on setting you may have to click on change or it should be there.

dhaynes

3% of 256 mb is really really low (7.68 mb). Are you sure you're not looking at what percentage of your cpu is being used? 128 mb is required to run windows xp, and most programs require more than 10 mb of ram to run.

BrandonL

yeh i think ur right... i just checked and i think there's about what u said (128mb) being used alone for the running of WinXP... oops lol

Bobo

banned
BrandonL said:
yeh i think ur right... i just checked and i think there's about what u said (128mb) being used alone for the running of WinXP... oops lol
yeah, hahaha I run a laptop with xp and 128MB, that is one major pain in the ass.:D