Is there a limit with RAM?

Bobo

banned
BrandonL said:
can't u buy more memory for it... perhaps install a 512MB into it or is that not possible?
Yeah, it supports 512 but I had a few problems in doing so, and some bad advice:p Read this thread.
To summarize it, they said that PC133 would work, and it didn't. And nobody ever answered why.

BrandonL

well i think u would have to find the PC100 because something new doesnt always backtrack to an older version. for example, i had a playstation game and i played it on a PS2 and it worked fine, but when i went to save it, it didnt read the PS2 memory card. so i could never save.

my guess is you're going to have to find another PC100 and install that. it would be much easier for the system than trying to reconfigure to a newer version or vice-versa.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Bobo said:
Yeah, it supports 512 but I had a few problems in doing so, and some bad advice:p Read this thread.
To summarize it, they said that PC133 would work, and it didn't. And nobody ever answered why.

Well most PC133 will back down to PC100 speeds, but then again some wont. I would say your board would run more stable with 3 256mb

BrandonL

but make sure they are compatible with the system before you put them in so we don't have to run thru this complication again lol

Bobo

banned
BrandonL said:
but make sure
How am I to make sure? I thought that I trusted these people, especially three, who told me that it would work. Anyway, if you want to post a reply, do so in that thread and lets get back on topic with this one.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Bobo said:
How am I to make sure? I thought that I trusted these people, especially three, who told me that it would work. Anyway, if you want to post a reply, do so in that thread and lets get back on topic with this one.

To make sure only buy PC 100, if ya lived next door I would give ya some, think I still have some PC100 256 and 128, another thing to look at is weather the ram is single sided or double sided

BrandonL

ok i posted in that thread... now back to the task at hand...

the computer can only hold as much memory as the motherboard will let it... which has already been established... inside the tower are two slots where you can insert two MB cards. i was thinkin that you might be able to put two 512MB cards in there for a total of 1024MB which would be extreme!!! but idk...

someone help me out here

StrangleHold

Staff member
He said he had three slot and the board would read 768, so thats 3 256s the reason I say 3 265s is that some older boards, the only way to get the max ram was to use all slots, like his board might not read a single 512, like the board I'm on now is a Abit KV7 it will read 3gb of DDR266 in all three slots and only 2gb using DDR400 or 333 in slots 1 and 2

StrangleHold

Staff member
He said he had three slot and the board would read 768, so thats 3 256s the reason I say 3 265s is that some older boards, the only way to get the max ram was to use all slots, like his board might not read a single 512, like the board I'm on now is a Abit KV7 it will read 3gb of DDR266 in all three slots and only 2gb using DDR400 or 333 in slots 1 and 2

BrandonL

ahh i see... i didn't kno that some computers needed to read all three slots. but if that is the case then why can they read the single slot that contains the original MB card that was supplied with the system?

StrangleHold

Staff member
BrandonL said:
ahh i see... i didn't know that some computers needed to read all three slots. but if that is the case then why can they read the single slot that contains the original MB card that was supplied with the system?
Its like a old Super 7 board I had. It would read 512 and had two slots. I had two use 2 256, would not read 1 512, well it would read a double sided as a 256 and not see a single side at all. Some boards are weird, Boards with the same chipset will have different max ram. Like mine Max 2gb with 400 or 333 and 3gb with 266, saw another board with the same chip that will read 3gbs of 333 or 400, what the hell, And to beat it the chip has the capability to see 4gbs of 400

StrangleHold

Staff member
The think it has alot to do with maker for board prices, if I give you 4 memory slots and read 3gbs I can charge more than the model with 3slots and a two gb max. If they let you have all the options of the chip there would only be one board for each chip

BrandonL

that's tricky. but still confusing that people would change the chip slots and max percentage of memory. i think that they should have a standard and leave it at that. and also let the systems be compatible to carry as many MB as it possibly can. only in the dream world right? lol

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
basicly yea, limited by your mobo.
And memory controller ... lots of motherboards will allow you to physically install four 1GB dimms but the memory controller will only register 3.5GB of that :)

i use my computer all the time and i'm using only 3% of my 256mb
You're only using 8MB of RAM? That's just "slightly" unbelievable

There is no such thing as too much ram or tomany drive bays
Sure there is. Here's an obscure example: suppose you're processing some audio files and the absolute most memory you will ever ever use is 700GB. Now your motherboard has 3 DIMM slots and doesnt support dual channel. Now if you go an install three sticks of 512MB you're going to see less performance than if you only had two sticks. :) This is because the memory is downclocked when the slots are maxxed

u can only have as much ram a ur borad alows u to
And memory controller ....

the computer can only hold as much memory as the motherboard will let it... which has already been established... inside the tower are two slots where you can insert two MB cards. i was thinkin that you might be able to put two 512MB cards in there for a total of 1024MB which would be extreme!!! but idk...
What kind of "cards" are we talking about here?

but if that is the case then why can they read the single slot that contains the original MB card that was supplied with the system?
What is this "MB card"?

. It would read 512 and had two slots. I had two use 2 256, would not read 1 512, well it would read a double sided as a 256 and not see a single side at all. Some boards are weird, Boards with the same chipset will have different max ram
Hahaha i remember those days of having to match up DS/SS memory and having doesnt-make-sense total and DIMM memory caps

skyhigh

find out by gettin everest home edition of the internet for free and find out wat the name of your motherboard is and then type the name of it in to google and get some facts about it and then you should know what it can take