Is there something that you can plug multiple USB drives to make 1 BIG one?

ADE

banned
OK, if your like me (which almost everyone here is) you like to upgrade. Well, Before I used to have 3 USB flash drives, and now I have a 1GB. Just out of curiosity, is there a way you that you can have a docking station to plug multiple USB drive to make it one big drive? And not only for USB flash driver, but can you also do that with HDD's? Some one told me that RAID can do that with SATA HDD's and I found out that it just is a back up of all your data so if one drive lost data the other can recover it, which I don't want. I want to get 2 or more HDD's so I can make it 1 BIG HDD, in other words, 80GB + 80GB =160GB like 2 in 1. Catch my drift?

magicman

VIP Member
I don't think you can do that to USB drives. And regarding RAID, there are many types of raid, one of which (Raid0) is what I think you're after, although there's no redundancy. I currently have a 200GB and 250GB drive combined to give me 380GB formatted. Read the RAID 101 for more info.

Last edited:

The_Beast

I don't think that that is posable if the data is split in 3 different pieces how would you put it back together. You would have to carry around that converter that you plug all the drives in.

sorry:(

pdc76

can you imagine the cost? buy four 2 gig flash drives for roughly $100 a piece, plus whatever the docking station would cost. that would be over $500 for portable storage that's not portable. hurry up with that patent.

ADE

banned
I would draw up a diagram because I know exactly how it would look, but I discribe it for now,

a 3D rectangle with a USB male adapter on the top, than on each flat side a female adapter to plug 4 separate USB dives, 1 on each side. The female adapters would be on an angle to save space. That's my first idea.

My second Idea is that I have a hollow case that opens that there is a splitter that goes to 4 total and its like this http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/g2518058.html
in the case it will pop up on an angle when you push down on it you can get the drives in and out easily.

Of course there would have to be some integrated circuitry.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Couldn't you make a folder with shorts cuts into the others drives. It might be a little ghetto, but it might work...
No, it really wouldnt, all your chortcuts would become redundant if you took the drives out and plugged them abck in, mainly due to the fact that windows assigns the drive a drive letter in the order it was plugged into the systm. so unless you memorize a specific order to ALWAYS plug them in by, it aint gonna work at all, and it also still doesnt allow for a massive file say 3.2Gb to be spread across 4 x 1Gb drives.... so actually that was a pretty rubbish suggetion....

dragon

Sacrinyellow5

I agree now that I think about it....I got mixed up on what was being asked....
Ignore my rubbishy comment..

he he he u said rubbish...

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
...windows assigns the drive a drive letter in the order it was plugged into the systm.

Actually that's not necessarily true. I have a thumbdrive that I assigned R: because it kept conflicting with one of my other drives by giving it the same drive letter. Now every time I plug it in it gets that same drive letter.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Maybe you need to re-define your meaning of "rubbish" it was used to simply state it was'nt a good suggestion. Take it how you want

Arm_Pit

banned
Maybe you need to not be so defencive to the extreame?

I would draw up a diagram because I know exactly how it would look, but I discribe it for now,

a 3D rectangle with a USB male adapter on the top, than on each flat side a female adapter to plug 4 separate USB dives, 1 on each side. The female adapters would be on an angle to save space. That's my first idea.

My second Idea is that I have a hollow case that opens that there is a splitter that goes to 4 total and its like this http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/g2518058.html
in the case it will pop up on an angle when you push down on it you can get the drives in and out easily.

Of course there would have to be some integrated circuitry.
Just beucase you can image how it would look like and be used doesn't mean that its going to work that way just because they are technically connected together.

Archangel

VIP Member
just a question... why would you want to do that in the first place? I mean, USB flash drives dont cost a damn anymore nowday's.. besides, they are build to be small, so you can carry them with you,.. so why would you want to tape 5 of them together, jsut to get some extra Mb's? (just an example :) )

ADE

banned
Actually that's not necessarily true. I have a thumbdrive that I assigned R: because it kept conflicting with one of my other drives by giving it the same drive letter. Now every time I plug it in it gets that same drive letter.

If you right click on the drive and go under properties you can change the name.

ADE

banned
Maybe you need to not be so defencive to the extreame?

Just beucase you can image how it would look like and be used doesn't mean that its going to work that way just because they are technically connected together.

well, like I said before, there would have to be some sort of dives inside involved because if I just connected them all together that would be just a 4 port USB hub. I would have to find out how HDD's do it and then apply it to the USB some how. And as for why in the world would I want to do this, Like I said in the first post of mine, we all upgrade, and over the years we get bigger USB drives, but by the time we get the new one, the old one will be of no use and no one will want to buy it, so why waist it?