Is this Temperature normal for an i7 6700k (Not OC)?

So I have an i7 6700K with a Stock Intel Fan (Haven't OC or tweaked at all) and after 1 hour of gaming my CPU temps were 81-88c? Is that normal? I am very worried its not.

Capture.png

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A regular stock intel fan will not cool that cpu efficiently. You'll need aftermarket cooler or perhaps a water cooler. Did you apply thermal paste correctly?

A regular stock intel fan will not cool that cpu efficiently. You'll need aftermarket cooler or perhaps a water cooler. Did you apply thermal paste correctly?
I did apply thermal paste correctly. On Idle my temps are 31c!

I didn't buy an aftermarket cooler because I don't know how to Overclock yet and wasn't planning on doing it yet.

Are those temperatures not good? are they dangerous in the sense that I could fry my Computer? I'd probably have to buy one even if I won't overclock soon. For the thermal paste I bought Artic Silver 5. The CPU has being there since March 2016 when I built the Computer but I've never thought of checking the Temps while under load (Gaming) until today.

What Aftermarket Cooler could you suggest that would be inexpensive? I can always looks on Newegg and see what they got. I want something cheap that way when I do learn how to Overclock I can go ahead and spend more money on something good. I am on a tight budget right now.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Idle temp is fine, load temp is too high. YJou most likely have an older style stock cooler. That cooler doesn't come with a cooler because you need something better then a stock cooler to keep it from overheating. I would suspect that a coolermaster 212 Evo would suffice. What case do you have?

Idle temp is fine, load temp is too high. That cooler doesn't come with a cooler because you need something better then a stock cooler to keep it from overheating. I would suspect that a coolermaster 212 Evo would be suffice. What case do you have?
You right! this CPU don't come with a Cooler. I bought it separate hehe.
I have the Master Case Pro 5 (my signature is my current rig).

EDIT: And yes I do admit to buying a Stock Cooler for an i7 6700k Problem is I am new to this type of stuff. I started learning about Computer almost 3 years ago and haven't looked into Overclocking a CPU yet so I didn't bother looking into aftermarket Coolers. I was just satisfied with the amount of Power a Stock i7 6700k has. Given my present "Overheating" issue I think it would be wise to spend a few bucks on a "Starter" aftermarket cooler, even if I won't Overclock yet.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would expect those load temps when overclocking not stock clocks. I7's will put out some heat so you need a good cooler for it. As I said, the coolermaster 212 evo is a good cooler as long as you have the clearance for it, kinda tall.

I would expect those load temps when overclocking not stock clocks. I7's will put out some heat so you need a good cooler for it. As I said, the coolermaster 212 evo is a good cooler as long as you have the clearance for it, kinda tall.
Okay, right on. Will look into it. I would hate buying something that won't fit.

Is there any other Free software I could use to Monitor CPU temps?
There is no way this could Possibly be correct and not have my Computer catch on fire! I want to Confirm with a different software. This is very alarming.
94c=201F!!!! Holy Cow man!
This can't be Correct! No way!?
Capture.png

Okay so I got Hardware Monitor because I couldn't find the Installer for Real Temp inside zip folder. Here is what it reads right now on Idle.

EDIT I found the Real Temp application. One question if I decide to use that one, should I use RealTemp App or RealTempGT App?

Going to Run some games and try to see how it works. Will post results tonight probably.
458.png

Last edited:
Okay so I decided to use CPUID. The issue is confirmed because its reading the same as the other software. There is something totally wrong with my temps! This was after playing R6 Siege for 30 minutes straight. This is crazy man! I don't have a picture of the amount of Thermal Paste I put on the CPU but I know for a fact it was the recommended size of a "Pea". Again it was Artic Cooler 5. Here is also a Picture of my CPU Fan on my Motherboard. By the looks of it would you still recommend 212 EVO?
Capture.png

634.jpg

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, either that or a cooler similar. Stock cooler is garbage. The cpu should be no higher then say 80 C.

So if I got the 212 EVO, how much do you think my Temps would be on idle and under load?
Also how can I make sure the 212 EVO will fit with my Motherboard? Is there anyway of checking? I am pretty sure I am going to buy by next week. but I'd hate to get something that doesn't fit right.

EDIT: I've read reviews for my Motherboard all 19 pages doing Key word search "EVO" and found that majority people were able to fit that Cooler with no issues while a few had a few issues but managed after a few tries. I am going to by it by next week probably. Its going to be my first Aftermarket cooler.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oh last question. Can I use my Arctic Silver 5 that I bought February 2016 when I get the EVO 212? the cap on it has being sealed/closed the whole time.

Darren

Staff member
Oh last question. Can I use my Arctic Silver 5 that I bought February 2016 when I get the EVO 212? the cap on it has being sealed/closed the whole time.
Yes. The 212 will also come with paste, but the AS5 will likely perform a little better so might as well use it if you've got it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's not the motherboard you have to worry about, its the case and the distance between cpu and the side panel, need like 6.5 inches between cpu and side panel. Also, what ram do you have? As long as you don't have corsair dominators then ram should fit under cooler. Finding sites online users with 212 evo and 6700k with overclock and temps never get over 80 degrees. Or this is even smaller and supposedly lowers temp a few more degrees then the evo.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Darren

Staff member
It's not the motherboard you have to worry about, its the case and the distance between cpu and the side panel, need like 6.5 inches between cpu and side panel. Also, what ram do you have? As long as you don't have corsair dominators then ram should fit under cooler. Finding sites online users with 212 evo and 6700k with overclock and temps never get over 80 degrees. Or this is even smaller and supposedly lowers temp a few more degrees then the evo.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
While the 212 was the standard for aftermarket air coolers for a long time it's gotten beat out by newer coolers recently. The 212 is also a massive hassle to install on AMD platforms, and likely Intel too somewhat.

Yes. The 212 will also come with paste, but the AS5 will likely perform a little better so might as well use it if you've got it.
Sweet! thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
My Ram is G.Skill Ripjaws V series.