Is this Temperature normal for an i7 6700k (Not OC)?

I've got the 212 plus cooler and my ripjaws ram fits under it.
Alright so never bought an Aftermarket cooler. Now I am stock between 2 products. If I decided to buy one, which one should I get?

First I am going to test if my Stock intel fan is sitting properly tonight. Might re-apply the Thermal paste on that for the mean time too. Just curious what might be my better choice when its time to buy the Cooler? the Evo 212 or the Cryorig H7? I've read all the reviews on the "H7" and lots of people seem to praise it over the Evo 212, which says a lot to me.

Darren

Staff member
I'd go for the H7. The 212 is solid, I used one for a couple years, but it's not like a top of the line product by any means and has been surpassed by newer coolers at a similar price like the H7. It just still is recommended because it's cheap, easy to get, and everyone knows about it.

Crap. So after checking my CPU fan pins on the opposite side of the case I noticed that some weren't pushed in far enough. The difference was noticeable but not exaggerated. I believe this was the cause of my heat issues. Thank God for thermal paste. Now I am having a big problem (at least for me) I can't manage to place the fan back. NOTE: I did clean the old paste and put new but I can't make the fan pins click when I apply pressure and I am afraid if I press too hard I might damage the MoBo.

Question is before I place the fan on. Do you have to twist the pin caps toward the arrows are pointing or the opposite way and then place them?

Like I think one means to unlock not sure which way but am I supposed to put it down, press then lock? Or place it locked first then press down?

Which way is what and what do I do. Stuff is so freaking complicated for a noob.

So I placed the FAN back on after messing around with it a little bit. This was after playing Rainbow 6 Siege for 30 minutes. The temperatures have gotten better. Turns out one of the Pins on the back wasn't pushed in far enough so I had to remove the fan and put it on again.
'
Now its 15c to 20c Cooler thus far.

Is Core #1 supposed to be hotter?

Capture_2.png

mistersprinkles

Quick question- you say you applied thermal compound properly-- but stock intel HSF comes with TIM preapplied. Did you double TIM?

You really don't want to run that p.o.s. stock HSF on a 6700K. Get at least a CM Hyper 212. Even if you dont overclock, a cool CPU is a happy CPU.

Last edited:
Quick question- you say you applied thermal compound properly-- but stock intel HSF comes with TIM preapplied. Did you double TIM?

You really don't want to run that p.o.s. stock HSF on a 6700K. Get at least a CM Hyper 212. Even if you dont overclock, a cool CPU is a happy CPU.

Sorry about the late reply.
I bought the Cooler separate from the CPU on eBay. If I can honestly recall correctly it didn't have any Paste on it, so it was just the Arctic Cooler 5 I used.

I just bought my first After Market Cooler its a Cryorig M9i. It should arrive this week! I won't do any Overclocking with it, but I def wanna keep my temperatures low!

So I was on a different Forum Group and someone there suggested to me to Downvolt the CPU. So I did it with some instructions having never even messed with the BIOS other than to set XMP I was scared but it was clarified that it couldn't hurt my Computer. They suggested to Downvolt in order to get my Temperatures down, and hey! guess what? It worked!

My temperatures are substantially down but my concern from what I am starting to learn is that the VOLTAGE is still too high? if not higher than it was before! can you guys tell me what you think?

image.png

THIS were my temperatures BEFORE Fixing the Stock Cooler! turn out one of the pins wasn't PUSH in far enough! my PC ran at those TEMPS for 1 year!!!

100c_Copy.png

mistersprinkles

It would help if we could see your vcore... that's just your VID.
I don't suggest that anybody screw with their bios unless they understand what they're screwing with.

mistersprinkles

It's fine. It was fine before too.

I wonder how stable your system is given that you down-volted without knowing what you're doing.

It's fine. It was fine before too.

I wonder how stable your system is given that you down-volted without knowing what you're doing.
Here is the thing man. I am 100% new. This is the first PC I build all on my own. I've never even owned an Aftermarket Cooler till now, and it gets here next week.

The issues are. I never did check my temperatures for 1 year! so my temperatures were Maxing 100c or over for 1 year! It wasn't until this year that I decided to check the CPU temperatures because I was curious. My stuff was super high as you can see on the earlier post. After fixing the stock cooler, *Pushing it all the way in, the temps went down almost 17c but they remained high!

I just learned about Voltage yesterday! Never had a clue how that worked. And yes I did buy a 6700K for a reason because I wanted its RAW Power performance/future proof/ and it gave me the option to "OC" in the future when I learned how.

Those 2 screenshots of voltages above were taken AFTER the Voltage was already lowered yesterday. I just posted both to confirm the slight difference which you say both are fine, but NOTE: They were taken 1 hour apart after the Voltage had being lowered.

With that being said, I have NO Clue if the Voltage was Higher before! it could have being but I have no Proof. At first it was said that the Temperatures was due to Stock Cooler, after probing around and commenting on different Forum it was deduced it was a problem with the F20 BIOS (Kabylake support not Skylake didn't know this prior) it was here when Voltage was brought up into the Picture.

After Lowering my Voltages as instructed by another person on another forum, I noticed that my temperatures went down! I just don't know what my Voltage was at Before I lowered it.

These were my Temps prior to turning the Voltage Down! Notice Above Screenshots too This was just from 30 minutes of Gaming R6 Siege, no stress test nothing.

EDIT: I Had to remove some exclamation Marks I wasn't yelling I was just exited lol sorry
Temps_BEFORE_Downvolting.png

Last edited:

mistersprinkles

Thank you for that information! I did not know previously! 100 degrees is hot, yes! Good thing you got your temps down! Hopefully your new cooler gets there soon! That should solve your issues!
I can tell that you're being very emphatic in your last post because you used to many exclamation marks!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for that information! I did not know previously! 100 degrees is hot, yes! Good thing you got your temps down! Hopefully your new cooler gets there soon! That should solve your issues!
I can tell that you're being very emphatic in your last post because you used to many exclamation marks!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Umm yea. about that lol. I removed some of the exclamation marks. I was being very emphatic haha. Its a feeling of excitement because this is something totally new to me and I am learning, and my temperatures did go down, so I was happy.

Sorry about that lol

Last edited:
Do you think I'd see any performance downgrade by turning down the voltage at the level it is now? Like less FPS or something?

Last edited:

mistersprinkles

Voltage does not= performance. Your complete lack of understanding of how your computer works worries me because you are screwing with settings you don't understand.

Voltage does not= performance. Your complete lack of understanding of how your computer works worries me because you are screwing with settings you don't understand.
It worries me too its why I am so concerned with trying to lower my temperatures on my CPU. I am just following advice of what people tell me on the Forums. The guy told me Lower the voltages, took screenshots of his BIOS showing me how to do it (Same MoBo) and I did it. I am learning and I am scared doing this but I need to fix the temps on my CPU.

I Just got 2 Blue screens of death after doing a Stress test. The safe side is that I can always reset BIOS to default and it would revert me back to how it was.

20170306_160731.jpg

mistersprinkles

The blind leading the blind... The problem with being a noob is not knowing who to listen to. Obviously if you lower your core voltage to some random value without testing you're going to get blue screens. Set everything to default until you get your new cooler
Hitting your CPUs tjmax or tcase doesn't mean kaboom ffs

Darren

Staff member
Reset BIOS to defaults, make sure temps are fine, and leave it before you fry something.

The blind leading the blind... The problem with being a noob is not knowing who to listen to. Obviously if you lower your core voltage to some random value without testing you're going to get blue screens. Set everything to default until you get your new cooler
Hitting your CPUs tjmax or tcase doesn't mean kaboom ffs

Reset BIOS to defaults, make sure temps are fine, and leave it before you fry something.

Sigh. So if I reset BIOS to default, then my Temps will go up to 85c just from gaming for 30 minutes. Man this sucks. It really does suck being a noob.

I think problem is coming from the F20 BIOS which is for Kabylake and it won't allow to downgrade to an earlier version. I installed it now knowing this. Many people did this too and have had issues. I have a Debug code on my MoBo and its reading the wrong code since the BIOS update.