Is windows XP better than 7 for a HP Pavilion Media Center m8120n?? Plz Help me, read

Traykov

Before yesterday i was using Firefox, downloading a video, converting another to upload it to my Ipod (which was plugged in and I tunes was open too) Then i opened Internet explorer to check a link i had in my favorites and then my computer freezed :( So i restarted it and i only got a black screen.
I tried all methods but i couldn't get to work. I assumed my OS it's dead. Here's the thing, i didn't save a back up, no recovery disk with windows vista.
I only have the one for my other comp with Windows XP, i was gonna make another recovery disks with windows 7 that's in my sister's computer.
1. Will those disks work on my comp?
2. Which one should I use??

Also i my hard disk is weird, i bough it thinking that it had like 500 GB but it only showed like 250 but then after doing some research i found that it has like two partitions i believe, anyway I will leave here the link with the specs

Link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...:2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3440615&lang=en

Please help me, and thanks for your time =)

lucasbytegenius

So you're running Vista?
Well, I'm mostly certain that the recovery discs that came with your sister's computer from the factory will not work very well if at all, due to drivers and such, but you could try. I recommend using 7 instead of XP as much as possible, because XP's support life ends next year.

Traykov

So you're running Vista?
Well, I'm mostly certain that the recovery discs that came with your sister's computer from the factory will not work very well if at all, due to drivers and such, but you could try. I recommend using 7 instead of XP as much as possible, because XP's support life ends next year.

I see, and is there a way to recover some files?? I inserted the HDD to other pc as a secondary disk but it only showed like 250 GB Free and like less than a GB occupied. Is it totally dead?? or if i use a Linux Live USB i would be able to recorver them. I just wanted a few photos

lucasbytegenius

I see, and is there a way to recover some files?? I inserted the HDD to other pc as a secondary disk but it only showed like 250 GB Free and like less than a GB occupied. Is it totally dead?? or if i use a Linux Live USB i would be able to recorver them. I just wanted a few photos

Yes, a Linux LiveCD or USB should work. Ubuntu works well for that.
If you can't figure it out, post back and we'll try to help :)

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Tell me something.You said that you have a blank screen right?But is there maybe a cursor blinking in the left upper corner during the blank screen?

cabinfever1977

I dont think a recovery disk for a diffrent computer will work on yours,but go ahead and try it, you might need a regualar version of windows; xp is fine if you can get drivers for your computer that suport xp,if not use vista(borrow from friend and use your serial) or use windows 7 and download the drivers for your computer from the hp website

xp does not need any suport, it works fine the way it is...

lucasbytegenius

I dont think a recovery disk for a diffrent computer will work on yours,but go ahead and try it, you might need a regualar version of windows; xp is fine if you can get drivers for your computer that suport xp,if not use vista(borrow from friend and use your serial) or use windows 7 and download the drivers for your computer from the hp website

xp does not need any suport, it works fine the way it is...

You don't know what you're talking about. XP does need to be supported by M$, otherwise as more vulnerabilities are discovered you won't be able to get any updates to fix them. And borrowing a Vista DVD from a friend is wrong. Windows 7 is the way to go here.

FXB

You don't know what you're talking about. XP does need to be supported by M$, otherwise as more vulnerabilities are discovered you won't be able to get any updates to fix them. And borrowing a Vista DVD from a friend is wrong. Windows 7 is the way to go here.

I'm with Lucas, XP will lack support soon and might as well get the newest OS because vista was more of a downgrade to XP.

Traykov

Tell me something.You said that you have a blank screen right?But is there maybe a cursor blinking in the left upper corner during the blank screen?

Sorry for the late reply, i was with no power so i couldn't check my mail nor fix my comp.
Well, whenever i turn it on it tells to start it normaly, or safe and all the stuff, if i start it normally it shows a black screen with the cursor. after a few minutes it turns blue but nothing more, and if i choose any of the safe mode options or the one that "fixes errors" it freezes. It starts loading some files and then it stops at one. Only one time it was able to procreed and "fix" the errors but after i restart it, it freezed after checking the HDD :(
what do you think, i have just downloaded Linux Live to the pen drive, and i was gonna try it tomorrow

Traykov

Guys sorry for the late reply, my neighborhood was with no power, don't know why, but so far i have download Live Linux to a USB, i will try to reboot my computer tomorrow, i wanna be with all my energy and patience XD, cuz i want to recover a few photos VERY important to me and then i'll use my recovery disks, i'll use Windows 7 which is more likely to work, about borrowing a vista cd, i doubt it cuz most people in here use pirate copies, i live in argentina and i bought my computer when i was living in the US, i can't even contact HP support cuz the computer it's only available over there and Canada so if anything is broken a replacement would be very expensive and if a send it to a Technician it's like saying "Hey! Have this HP Desktop Computer and take all it's part for free and replace it with fake ones", happens a lot, that's why im trying to fix it myself
Anyways thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it, it tell you tomorrow how it went :)

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Check the hard disk drive for errors by booting from the XP CD and then going to the Recovery console and write the following command:

CHKDSK C: /f /r

Press the ENTER button on your keyboard...

NOTE: The "C:" is your drive letter you want to fix!

This process can take a very long time so let it finish!

After the process is complete,repair your Windows XP OS by booting from the Windows XP CD disk again...

Cheers!

Traykov

guys i was able to recover all my files, now i have to fix the system, i realized that my HP_RECOVERY ( D: ) is the one with the problems, is there a way that i can fix it without having to install other OS, permanently?

Last edited:

Traykov

I had enough, i tried all the ways, nor 7 or XP work, i even downloaded windows vista to a cd but i still get a black screen, would it work if i format the unit using Linux?? then i could try to load it again.. or should install linux and then try it again?? what do you suggest?

lucasbytegenius

I had enough, i tried all the ways, nor 7 or XP work, i even downloaded windows vista to a cd but i still get a black screen, would it work if i format the unit using Linux?? then i could try to load it again.. or should install linux and then try it again?? what do you suggest?

Try using Ubuntu. I won't address your apparent illegal action of downloading Vista to a CD (which BTW it can't possibly fit on).

Traykov

Try using Ubuntu. I won't address your apparent illegal action of downloading Vista to a CD (which BTW it can't possibly fit on).

lol, like i said before it,s hard to find and original copy in here, plus they are way to expensive, i wanted to buy it but i can't find and original copy most are pirates :(

anyways thanks =)

Traykov

You know.. i just tried to reboot my computer... and it get's stuck in the HP welcome screen... does this mean i should buy other HDD, if so... pray for the my current hard drive

lucasbytegenius

You know.. i just tried to reboot my computer... and it get's stuck in the HP welcome screen... does this mean i should buy other HDD, if so... pray for the my current hard drive

Well it could be a number of problems, the most common is the RAM. Try switching out the cards and see if it works.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Go to the BIOS and LOAD OPTIMIMIZED DEFAULTS and then save your changes and exit.

Now try to format your HDD with the DOS tool/program called Kill Disk.If it passed ok all to 100% then also try to format the HDD with the XP disk and then install XP on that HDD.

If all this went well then your hardware is just fine...

Cheers!

Traykov

Go to the BIOS and LOAD OPTIMIMIZED DEFAULTS and then save your changes and exit.

Now try to format your HDD with the DOS tool/program called Kill Disk.If it passed ok all to 100% then also try to format the HDD with the XP disk and then install XP on that HDD.

If all this went well then your hardware is just fine...

Cheers!

well, whenever i turn the computer on, even if i press esc, F8, F11 it won't respond, then since it didn't worked at all i plugged it to my XP comp and formatted it, but it didn't work, now here's a detail, when i check the unit it only displays 298 GB free with nothing in it, will that program display everyhing? what i wanna do i format the whole unit and then install the OS by the way, when i tried with XP cds it didn't work cuz it said that it wasn't design for that computer

Traykov

Well it could be a number of problems, the most common is the RAM. Try switching out the cards and see if it works.

i kind of doubt that that is the problem, if so it should had happen before :S
but before doing that, if i plug it to my XP comp, as a secondary unit, can i install linux as an operating system in it and then plug it to my computer.. would it work??