Is windows XP better than 7 for a HP Pavilion Media Center m8120n?? Plz Help me, read

lucasbytegenius

i kind of doubt that that is the problem, if so it should had happen before :S
but before doing that, if i plug it to my XP comp, as a secondary unit, can i install linux as an operating system in it and then plug it to my computer.. would it work??
RAM problems can act very random from my experience.
In answer to your Linux Q, yes it would work, but I'd check your RAM first.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
well, whenever i turn the computer on, even if i press esc, F8, F11 it won't respond, then since it didn't worked at all i plugged it to my XP comp and formatted it, but it didn't work, now here's a detail, when i check the unit it only displays 298 GB free with nothing in it, will that program display everyhing? what i wanna do i format the whole unit and then install the OS by the way, when i tried with XP cds it didn't work cuz it said that it wasn't design for that computer

Are you saying that you cannot even go to the BIOS?
Ouch...

Traykov

Did you try swapping RAM cards?
Not yet, but now that i remember yesterday i was kind of mad with comp and i reformated the recovery D drive disk using linux, i was really crazy, after that it refused to start with the BIOS and stuff, that's why i don't think the RAM should be the problem...

lucasbytegenius

Not yet, but now that i remember yesterday i was kind of mad with comp and i reformated the recovery D drive disk using linux, i was really crazy, after that it refused to start with the BIOS and stuff, that's why i don't think the RAM should be the problem...

In that case there is a strong chance that the RAM is the problem.

CrayonMuncher

I'm sorry if i missed something here and i havent tried this as I dont use vista anymore but still have an entry in my boot loader but . . . .
When i was playng around with the win 7 bootloader after a failed boot and choosing start up repair, when i choose to repair startup it asked me to choose which installation to i wanted to repair, win 7 or vista, since vista was wiped i didnt choose it, but it may work, worth a try and see what it says.
I can see how it it could work since vista and win 7 do share some simalar characteristics, but i dont know.

lucasbytegenius

I'm sorry if i missed something here and i havent tried this as I dont use vista anymore but still have an entry in my boot loader but . . . .
When i was playng around with the win 7 bootloader after a failed boot and choosing start up repair, when i choose to repair startup it asked me to choose which installation to i wanted to repair, win 7 or vista, since vista was wiped i didnt choose it, but it may work, worth a try and see what it says.
I can see how it it could work since vista and win 7 do share some simalar characteristics, but i dont know.
Yes but it appears that it's the RAM right now.
WOW i didn't see that coming :p so i just have to switch the Ram memory??
if it doesn't work what else?? I ask now so i don't have to come downstairs.. ask again, then wait.. LOL

Yeah, just take out a card, try turning it on, if that doesn't work, put that card back in and take out another, and so on.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Lucasbytegenius is right.Take all RAM memory chips out and try to use your computer by using one at the time until you do not find out which one is giving you the problems.

Also you must be able to go to the BIOS.If you can use an operating system then you must be able to go into the BIOS.Because if you cannot go into the BIOS,you may have difficulties trying to boot from some other devices since those options are being adjusted in the BIOS...

lucasbytegenius

Lucasbytegenius is right.Take all RAM memory chips out and try to use your computer by using one at the time until you do not find out which one is giving you the problems.

Also you must be able to go to the BIOS.If you can use an operating system then you must be able to go into the BIOS.Because if you cannot go into the BIOS,you may have difficulties trying to boot from some other devices since those options are being adjusted in the BIOS...

This is a laptop, so I don't think he really needs to get into the BIOS right now :)
Why? Well, most of the time laptop BIOSs are configured correctly unless you've jacked around with them.

Traykov

This is a laptop, so I don't think he really needs to get into the BIOS right now :)
Why? Well, most of the time laptop BIOSs are configured correctly unless you've jacked around with them.

My computer is not a laptop, It's a desktop lol anyway i am trying to change the ram, i have to take out a lot of things first to get there XD

Traykov

I think i found the problem... all this time i was working with the wrong hard drive... the one i reformatted with the xp... was the secondary one i believe.. for that reason it was empty everytime i examine it...
Should i run chkdsk/f using the xp.. or jus the ram thing.. sorry for this mistake.. but the disk was well hidden.. i had to take out almost everything in order to find it..

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Tell me something...on your hard disk drive...how many partitions do you have and if there are more then 1,what exactly do you have on each one?I mean on the operating system...

lucasbytegenius

I think i found the problem... all this time i was working with the wrong hard drive... the one i reformatted with the xp... was the secondary one i believe.. for that reason it was empty everytime i examine it...
Should i run chkdsk/f using the xp.. or jus the ram thing.. sorry for this mistake.. but the disk was well hidden.. i had to take out almost everything in order to find it..

I would try the chkdsk first, then if it fails (like if it encounters an error and starts hiccuping), after you do the RAM check rerun chkdsk.

Traykov

I would try the chkdsk first, then if it fails (like if it encounters an error and starts hiccuping), after you do the RAM check rerun chkdsk.

None of my computer could read the hard drive.. i think it's broken... so i used the one i had empty and installed Vista again though i had to re install all drivers and stuff, but finally im using my computer again =) Thanks for all the help!!

Traykov

Tell me something...on your hard disk drive...how many partitions do you have and if there are more then 1,what exactly do you have on each one?I mean on the operating system...

nah, i was wrong, i had two HDD all this time i worked with the empty one, the one with the problems was well hidden and i found it when i was about to switch the RAMs, i had to take a lot stuff before, so since i could run chkdsk cuz none of the other computers recognize the problematic HDD i used the other one and re installed vista cuz XP didn't work, so im finally using my computer, thanks for the help man =)

lucasbytegenius

None of my computer could read the hard drive.. i think it's broken... so i used the one i had empty and installed Vista again though i had to re install all drivers and stuff, but finally im using my computer again =) Thanks for all the help!!

Glad we could help you :) Come back soon!