Laptop for College? or desktop?

kal2509

hey everyone!

some feedback would be nice regarding the subject of computers in college. Next year i am going to a public college in the area, Purdue University, im not real heavy into gaming, but i want to play Diablo 3 when it comes out... im going for engineering so programming is a must, im looking at this laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220343

or on the other hand, is a laptop unnecessary? should i build my own desktop for the same price... ?

thanks all!

spamdos

i think you will find a laptop much more useful for uni. especially since you wont demand such a high specced one. although i assume diablo will require something fairly good. but trust me laptop over desktop for college

kal2509

does the laptop i posted on the first post have a cd/dvd burner, im confused at what a DVD Super Multi is...

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
does the laptop i posted on the first post have a cd/dvd burner, im confused at what a DVD Super Multi is...

It's a combo burner. It burns both CD's and DVD's.

I'm personally gonna get myself a new laptop and I'll bring my desktop with me (in case my laptop breaks down).

tlarkin

VIP Member
I like Asus laptops. I also like HP business class laptops for PC laptops. What kind of programming are you going into? The initial cost of a Macbook is a bit more than a PC but I would almost recommend them for the reliability and for the quality of the machine. It will last you longer than a PC laptop will. It can also run every single OS out there so you can develop for Unix, Linux, OS X, and Windows.

Just a thought, some people are totally against Macs and that is a personal preference, but I do recommend them in an education environment over a PC for sure.

kal2509

im not sure of the programming language... i went on a college visit and that was what i asked one of the junior engineers, he told me but it wasn't anything widely used, he said it was for educational purposes only... do you think it would be a good idea to grasp C++ before attending... or where should i start?

Vizy

I agree with tlkarkin. If you have to money to go apple, you definitely should. IDK how diablo 3 will work out on that though.

Gebucht

I would reccomend an Acer laptop to anyone, ive had one for 2 years now and its not even close to breaking down, and I have it on near enough all the time (Yes, I do use my desktop too, but the laptop is still on :))

atentora

I would reccomend an Acer laptop to anyone, ive had one for 2 years now and its not even close to breaking down, and I have it on near enough all the time (Yes, I do use my desktop too, but the laptop is still on :))

Oh god no! You just happen to be lucky. Acer laptops are really unreliable and hit tons of problems. From the Acers I have dealt with the average life span is about 8 months. They make great monitors though...

Anyway, I would suggest a laptop and not a Mac. Yes, I do hate them, but this is not about that. They aren't too great for coding, or maybe I just never got used to them...

Laptops are invaluable in college.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Like I said, maybe I just never got used to them

Coding is coding, it doesn't change regardless of platform. The actual coding part stays the same. With a Mac you can develop for everything: C++, cocoa, shell, ruby, python, perl, carbon, so on and so forth. A lot of that stuff runs native too. On a Windows machine you can't do it as easily. I would say your statement is almost backwards.

HumanMage

I agree that a laptop for college is a nice asset. My room mate codes on a tablet PC by Fujitsu and has his desktop that he built awhile back for playing games and such. Have you considered both? That might not be in your budget though.

`PaWz

banned
If a regular macbook is good enough for you, the last generation macbooks cost about $900 right now, which is a good deal for what they use to cost

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Tablets are sweet, especially for taking notes. You can pick up a refurbished unit for around $800 online *points to sig and avatar*.

Otherwise, I would also recommend a macbook, especially the new ones, its damn sexy.