Laptop is SO hot!

lisha

Is there anything I can do about my laptop getting so hot? The fingerpad burns my finger. It's such a pain. Also my friends laptop keeps shutting down when it gets too hot, and it's driving him nuts. What can we do??

X24

First off, get a good program that will let u set when your fan turns on and off, and mess with it a while until u get a good start fan/stop fan set up.
Then if that doesn't work that well, try setting it on something like two sticks on the sides so that it raises the laptop up and lets more air come in the bottom vents.
If this doesn't work, then buy one of those laptop cooling pads.

BTW it would help if u could answer a few things.

1. When does it get that hot? when you are gaming?
2. What exactly is your laptop? (specs please)
3. Do you hear your fan kick in anytime?

alanuofm

VIP Member
the touchpad shouldn't burn. that is very odd. the heatsink should take the air out and blow it out the back. the cpu is usually located near the keyboard because it can get hot and so it does not burn you. how old is this laptop. you might want to open it up and dust it.

X24

For the dust part, if you don't want to take it appart, which i would actually recommend becuase then you could put in some artic silver in it to improve the temperature,you could try the vacuum trick where you put a vacuum up to one of the vents or fans or w/e and suck out dust. i myself have never tried it but have heard people doing it before.

alanuofm

VIP Member
ajg suggested vacuuming isn't a good idea. just take it apart. laptops are fairly easy to take apart. most of the stuff just snaps right off.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
alanuofm said:
ajg suggested vacuuming isn't a good idea. just take it apart. laptops are fairly easy to take apart. most of the stuff just snaps right off.

snap being the concerning word... i think some ventilation is being blocked cos the user has it on their lap

alanuofm

VIP Member
Hairy_Lee said:
snap being the concerning word... i think some ventilation is being blocked cos the user has it on their lap

well of course i suggest a reference to a user guide. don't just start snaping stuff off.

X24

Ya, when i think about it the vacuum probably isn't a good idea.....

Also, if something doesn't seem to want to come off, don't yank it, sometimes they hide screws under stickers, or under the battery or other stuff like that.

lisha

Thanks everyone. Ok let me answer questions.

I have a Presario 2500. I bought it just over a year ago. I have 512MB of RAM. It says "intel inside celeron" Microsoft Windows XP. Not sure what else you need to know.

I did just buy another 256MB of RAM because my CPU Usage was constantly up to 100%. It jumps around like crazy but I just checked and it was in the 80s and 90s. (I don't know a lot about this stuff ok) I took these four steps I read about online to free up computer space. It is a lot faster but it's still so darn hot!

Athlon 64? I have no idea. I don't see that anywhere.

Thanks for the cooling pad links.

It gets hot shortly after I start using it. It's really hot right now. It has been on for awhile because I forgot to hibernate it before going to the store. I don't game.

The fan is ALWAYS going.

I will try and dust it.

It's set on a table, WAY too hot for the lap! It makes me sweat! I am in Hawaii with no AC but still.

Ok, now I will wait for replies! Thanks everyone!

X24

put it on like to sticks or something so the bottom vents or fans can flow out more.
And if you are just doing some normal stuff like internet surfing it shouldn't use that much cpu i don't think.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
the cpu usage shouldnt be that high. and the heat,you could try putting it on sticks or something like that, it may help. or it may just be dust making it hot.

X24

elmarcorulz said:
the cpu usage shouldnt be that high. and the heat,you could try putting it on sticks or something like that, it may help. or it may just be dust making it hot.

isn't that kinda what me and alanuofm said? I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but i think we established that already.