Laptop is SO hot!

lisha

CPU usage is under 20 right now, with just this browser open. Well hmmm it just jumped up to 80-90 for a couple seconds. I don't know what's up with that. I have 42 processes running.

I said I have 512MB of Ram. I just added another 256 a few weeks ago.

I propped up the back of the laptop, can't tell if it's helping yet. I think it is. I have not tried dusting yet. I just brought the laptop out of hibernation and the keyboard is starting to warm up. The touchpad too, I can feel it.

lisha

"lets keep in mind that you have a celeron processor. those don't like to multitask."

I had no idea. That sucks, because I am a multitasker. I think propping it has helped.

ripken2004

my laptop gets vry hot too, ~85C when gaming and not even the new games(the laptop wouldnt even be able to handle them)

but what i do all the time is that i have the laptop on top of an encyclopedia to raise it off of the desk so that the fan can blow into the air and not the desk

finally i am using an encyclopedia, my parents are prouds of me :)

lisha

"finally i am using an encyclopedia, my parents are prouds of me"

Haha!! How do you know the temperature of your laptop?

lisha

Ok I downloaded Everest.

Where I found temperature it says Seagate ST94011A and it says 120 degrees F!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What else can this program tell me or do that is useful?

alanuofm

VIP Member
just search around. it tells you a lot about the mobo and everything connected to it. and that is the temperature of your hard drive.

X24

hmmmmm, that may explain it. 120 degrees, and i believe the hard-drive is about in that area where you said it was hot.

Check out the other temps to see if it could be anything else before jumping to conclusions though.

alanuofm

VIP Member
lisha said:
Ok I downloaded Everest.

Where I found temperature it says Seagate ST94011A and it says 120 degrees F!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What else can this program tell me or do that is useful?

its only about 49 degrees celcius and many laptop hard drives have operating ambient temps of 5 to 55 degrees celcius.

X24

Oh, lol, sorry! lol, when talking celcius and feranhite, i always get messed up, lol, i thought that was around 60 degrees celcius.....lol, stupid conversions.

lisha

I don't know anyone else with this laptop.

I haven't really found any other info that I found useful.

I will look for Speed Fan.

molyb

X24 said:
btw, have u ever talked to anybody else with this laptop? do they have problems too?

I have the same laptop and the same problem: laptop is getting too hot and then shut down suddenly. I haven't found a real solution, but it shuts down less often if I operate the laptop with the battery removed.