laptop shopping

csi1189

I am currently in the long and tiring process of trying to find the right laptop for me. I am looking for one that can handle basic video/photo editing (with adobe programs), as well as basic word processing, presentation creations, and email. Occasionally, I may play a game or two, but the faster processer and hard drive would most likely be used for the video/photo editing and watching some movies. So far, I've come across the HP dv1000. I've configured it to be $1,574.00, which is pretty much as much as I can afford to spend. Here's how it's configured:

Windows Xp home sp2
Intel Pentium M Processor 760 (2.0 GHz)
14.0" WXGA Widescreen (1280x768)
1.0GB DDR SDRAM (1x1024MB)
80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
LightScribe 8x DVD+/-RW&CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 - Pentium
54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster
12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

So what I need, in a nutshell, is a laptop with good battery life, one that can handle video editing and watching movies, and regular everyday processes. Hopefully, I'm trying to find one for around or under $1500. Also, if you can, let me know what you think of the dv1000 I've found. (I'd like to keep the selection of laptops to well-known brand names).

alanuofm

VIP Member
you probably dont want an onboard video for you usage. lemme see what i can find.

a 12 cell battery adds a lot of weight to the laptop...around 2 pounds.

Last edited:

alanuofm

VIP Member
you are going to like this one.

this offer ends really soon so be quick.

inspiron 600m
14.1 inch xga
pentium M 2.0 Ghz
radeon 9000 64 mb dedicated video card
1 Gb ddr
80 gb hard drive
8x cd/dvd burner dvd+/-rw
intel 802.11 b/g
6 cell battery (around 4-5 hours of usage)
free dell 720 color printer

total: 1,148.36

csi1189

I would really like a built in firewire port, but its not a huge problem if it doesn't have it...

csi1189

also, alanuofm, which pentium m processor are you referring to, there's about a dozen to customize with...

alanuofm

VIP Member
yeah i dont remember if its on it. my sister has one and she took it to class with her today. i'll see when she comes back. theres a pcmcia slot for sure and you can buy IEEE 1394 adapters. plus this system is 500$ cheaper and better. have fun playing any game you want with it.

csi1189

do you think it should the harddrive/processor should be fast enough and have enough power to handle decent video editing (this is what I will be doing a lot this year for a media class I'm taking).

alanuofm

VIP Member
yes the laptop configuration i just sent you i currently own. i use adobe photoshop, adobe indesign, and adobe illustrator for photo editing. i also play counter strike 1.6 on it which is a very graphics demanding game and it plays it with 300 fps. yes the pentium M lineup of processors is argueably the best processors around considering it is a predecessor of the pentium III. well built and fast as hell. you'll love it. and if you want more things on it (if you still have that 500$ to spend) i can throw on more ram and other things. let me know. you might not be able to get that price. if you are serious about ordering private message me.

X24

HMMMMM, the asus w3v is perfect for you, but it costs 1,800......u can always use the 40% off coupon for that 600m and bring it down farther too.

X24

It goes till the 27th now i believe. And also there is a $35 stackable coupon, but i'm not sure what it is exactly becuase u have to email some guy for it.

X24

yes, it does come with an X300 with up to 128mb ram, but at that point my 9300 is only weighing in at 2 pounds more and not much difference in demensions.
Still its a noticable difference when u are carrying them, so the i6000 is a good choice aswell.

alanuofm

VIP Member
yeah so csi if you plan to order i suggest doing it within the next day or so. you won't find another deal like x24 has found with the 40% off coupon. if you want all around good computer for games and carrying around get the 600m. if you want power but less portability get the 9300 or the 6000.

alanuofm

VIP Member
dell original prices are about the same as hp and alienware. after their discounts it blows everything out of the water. this is for laptops only though.