laptop shopping

csi1189

I'm actually heavily leaning towards the inspiron 6000. I configured it to $2,223, and got a huge discount with a coupon code and got it down to only $1,473. Can't complain with that... I think I can live without your 10.9 pound 'laptop' ;)

alanuofm

VIP Member
hehe yeah. i believe the last day for the coupon code is tomorrow. so probably order soon.

my beast has an intel pentium 4 w/ HT 2.8 ghz and a radeon 9700. love it.

X24

If u want, u can save money buy having only 256mb or 512mb ram, then upgrade it yourself by buying some from newegg.com
just make sure its teh right kind.

I LOVE my i9300 with its pm 1.6 and geforce go 6800! though its not here yet, with new drivers, i can get 3dmark05 scores of 4000 or more!

alanuofm

VIP Member
X24 said:
If u want, u can save money buy having only 256mb or 512mb ram, then upgrade it yourself by buying some from newegg.com
just make sure its teh right kind.

I LOVE my i9300 with its pm 1.6 and geforce go 6800! though its not here yet, with new drivers, i can get 3dmark05 scores of 4000 or more!

you should be more specific on that suggestion. a 256 mb stick of pc3200 ram from dell is around 40$. 256 mb of ocz 200 pin notebook memory with CL 2.5 compared to dell which is CL 3.0 is only 22.25$

X24

i ment, you select the lowest amount of ram u can from dell (256) then u upgrade yourself. i mean, from 512-1gb is $140!!!!! Now with the discount its only $84, but still.

and the ocz is the wrong voltage.

lokodezine

alanuofm said:
you are going to like this one.

this offer ends really soon so be quick.

inspiron 600m
14.1 inch xga
pentium M 2.0 Ghz
radeon 9000 64 mb dedicated video card
1 Gb ddr
80 gb hard drive
8x cd/dvd burner dvd+/-rw
intel 802.11 b/g
6 cell battery (around 4-5 hours of usage)
free dell 720 color printer

total: 1,148.36

how did you get 1148 I keep getting 1182

X24

you have to select no security software. if u already have norton or something like that, it saves u like alot.

alanuofm

VIP Member
plus that is through the education department.

and the ocz is not the wrong voltage. just installed 1 gb of it on my friends inspiron. the pc3200 will work fine combined with the pc2700 on the 600m.

csi1189

i just went away for a few days, so i didn't buy the dell 6000 yet. so before i do without the discount, or wait until another discount comes rolling around, i would like to know a few more details - how fast is the hard drive? if it's not that fast, would i have to install a new one myself or can dell do that for me? also, heat is a big problem for me, so does anyone know how the 6000 handles ventilation? right now, my laptop gets so incredibly hot, and the entire system slows down. i really don't want to have to deal with this again with a new laptop.

alanuofm

VIP Member
csi1189 said:
i just went away for a few days, so i didn't buy the dell 6000 yet. so before i do without the discount, or wait until another discount comes rolling around, i would like to know a few more details - how fast is the hard drive? if it's not that fast, would i have to install a new one myself or can dell do that for me? also, heat is a big problem for me, so does anyone know how the 6000 handles ventilation? right now, my laptop gets so incredibly hot, and the entire system slows down. i really don't want to have to deal with this again with a new laptop.

wait for another discount. only reason dell ends sales is to start new ones. all their harddrives are 5400 rpm unless stated otherwise and that is sufficient. all laptops have heat problems. as long as you keep the vents clear of anything it will run fine. my sisters pentium M 1.6 runs as hot as my pentium 4 2.8 w/ HT. dont use on ur lap though. from my understanding, if you put a hot object on your lap it kills sperm and can cause erectile dysfunction.