Laptop Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfeking

banned
Ok, I got a new Acer Aspire 7741Z-4643. It has an P6100 Pentium (really nice low end CPU), 3GB DDR3 (needs more), and GMA 4500 (Sucks).

I am looking to upgrade and would like some suggestions. I know I would like to get a i series processor (acer has the turbo boost driver listed for this model, so assuming they support). What processor would you suggest?

Also looking to get the max of 8GB of ram. Any particular speed that would be best?

I am also looking onto getting a dedicated graphics card for this laptop. (support from drivers site again. Acer has the driver for HD5450/5650 and HD6370m/6550m). Any clue as to where I could get one of these cards?

Driver info from here: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
Notebook -> Aspire -> Aspire 7741z

thanks in advance.

Cameldude

This is a laptop right? you can;t really change parts in a laptop, so no, but if want to buy new laptop, please specify usage and we will right it out for you!!

Cameldude

NOT CPU or GPU (unless external), but RAM yes, you will need to buy two 4Gig sticks if you want 8gig but that will cost you like $400, nice speed is up from 1066, but you should already have it at that!!!, install cpuz to check that out!

My point stands new laptop if want real better performance!!

wolfeking

banned
Its a new laptop as is. (birthday gift).

I don't really have a issue with the processor. It runs a little hot as is but that is to be expected on a low end processor.

Graphics needs improvement. The GMA on die graphics is having trouble on the simple games that I play online (combat arms). I have only been able to get 15 FPS at 1600*900 which is the screens native resolution. Thats the only negative here other than HDD size (only 250 GB and already have ~150 GB used). Haven't got the patience or money to ask Acer if there are any limits to size. (HP has a limit of 320GB per partition that is recognized on the G61 and G71. May be something like that here).

So... My question is, if the CPU and graphics can not be upgraded, why supply drivers for them? I have found several 7741Z-**** laptops on Amazon that have i3 and i5 45 watt processors, so i think that can be upgraded with extensive disassembly to replace it. Have found none with the ATI cards though, so still confused there.

Last edited:

Cameldude

They will have versions of your computer with differents parts in it!!, probably made one year apart from each other (or something like that), laptops are made for compact, only in very small % of cases GPU can be changed. you can change the hard drive and RAM, but if any other parts need changing that mean you will have to replace the motherboard on the laptop, and the motherboard by itself costs more than the laptop with the same specs!!!, i am not sure about that 320Gig limit, never heard of it!, i think you can just buy a 1TB 2.5" hard drive if you wish (and if there is a limit just split it into 3 or something), if the laptop is recent (and since it has DDR3 i guess it is) it should have no limit. I believe you have 17" laptop right, i believe you might have a second slot for the hard drive (i.e. two slots all together) could be useful!!

wolfeking

banned
NO, the GPU's I was asking about are dedicated GPU's. I already checked that with ATI tech.

The 7741Z is a new version for acer america (released Nov 2010), and the only difference that I have found in the different versions on the market are CPU speed, HDD size, and RAM size.
I just don't see the point of having the drivers for dedicated graphics if they never provide them, and we have no way to upgrade...

kdfresh09

so to clear things up a bit, you can upgrade your cpu in the laptop. i have a similar acer, maybe the same one. anyways, the socket type is the same on the i series and the p series cpu, and it will support i series cpu's. i had the same p series chip in mine when i got it and threw in a i5 from a higher end hp that went out, and it works great. my graphics score improved as well, i think because of the integrated gpu on the i series cpu, but not sure. how ever you can not change the gpu, as that is integrated to the motherboard. hope this clears some things up for you and all who think that you cant upgrade a cpu on a laptop.

Cameldude

Most laptops have unupgradable CPU, i have never heard of one that is upgradable, apologies to wolfeking, but my understanding of laptops is as i have made it in my comments, i have taken many laptops apart and none have had removable CPUs or any other parts, they were all "integrated" into the motherboard, without ability to change!!

wolfeking

banned
I've pulled the CPU from my HP and replaced it. Gateway M4000 series has removable CPU's. IBM A20 series and all the R and T seres have removable CPU's. Ill grab a picture of the socket on a Toshiba L305D motherboard when i find the USB cable to my blackberry.

bkribbs

Ok so I won't lie, I didn't read everything here so sorry for double covering some of this. But.

You can do minor CPU upgrades, but not anything big. (You have to stick with the same socket, which means no i series cpus.) I believe all GMA's are not dedicated. For example, my laptop has a gma 900. It is built in to the mobo, so even though there are dedicated gfx cards for my laptop, I can't upgrade mine. (Which sucks, I know.) The only real upgrades you can make are RAM and the HDD.

EDIT: OMG! 2K posts! <---

wolfeking

banned
the i series is socket 989, same as the Pentium that I have. GMA is built into the processor on the Arrandale CPUs.
I physically have the socket for a dedicated GPU, just need info on where to get one.

ok, looking over the CPU and GPU thing, what about a Bluetooth enable wireless card. Where would I go to get one of these?

Last edited:

michaelval15

yes you can upgrade

I just upgradeed my acer 7741z-5731 from a p6000 to an intel core i3 370m 2.4ghz..they have to same socket and i didnt have to do anything to my bios..the computer reads it and everything..so they are upgradeable..

michaelval15

its alright..not that much noticeable but you can tell..and just make sure you go on intel's website to make sure that your getting the correct socket 998..I was going to get the i5 but i didnt wanna spend that much money

wolfeking

banned
ok, so whats with the difference between neweggs data, CPUz reports, and the actual socket #?
Either way the P6000 and P6100 are the same socket, so if it is the same as the i3, then it will be able to run an i5 also, right?
The main reason that I am thinking about the i5 is because newegg only carries teh i5 and i7, and I dont see putting 500+ dollars into a processor (especially one that I am unsure of compatibility. Dont think that these laptops support quad core.)

Status
Not open for further replies.