Laptop Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

PohTayToez

Most laptops have unupgradable CPU

This isn't true. Most laptops have a removable CPU, the big exception these days being Macbooks.

As far as 3GB is plenty for most people, you won't notice much of a difference between 3GB and 8GB unless you're doing something RAM intensive like CAD, graphic design, etc.

The problem with upgrading a GPU in a laptop is that is that laptop motherboards are custom designed for the specific series of laptop with the GPU being custom designed for that motherboard (if not fully integrated into it), and the only time you'll see the possibility of upgrading is when there are other laptops in the same series as yours with better GPUs.

Further complications arise when you're trying to upgrade a newer model laptop. Typically laptop manufactures won't sell you a GPU by itself, which means you'll have to go through a third party. For older laptops eBay is a good source for this type of specific part, but since it's a newer model you probably won't see any just available just yet.

michaelval15

On my acer 7741z-5731 laptop motherboard, there is an empty slot idk wat it's for I think a Bluetooth module is supposes to go in there but I'm not sure.anyone know?

PohTayToez

Is it shorter than a RAM slot? You're probably looking at your spare MiniPCI-E slot. Replacing the CPU or GPU (if possible) would require full disassembly of the laptop.

PohTayToez

Any newer laptop has at least one MiniPCI-Express slot for the wireless card, sometimes they have extras for Bluetooth, second wireless card, SSD, etc.

wolfeking

banned
I thought that the Bluetooth was built into the wireless card. Thats where it was on a Gateway M4000 series, and on my HP (before I pulled it in favor of a PCI SSD.)

Speaking of the SSD, would one be redily be attached to this computer? And would I be able to load the Factory restore disk to it, (in the PCI-e) if i were to pull the SATA HDD during the install and install a 1TB HDD after the install to hold data that does not need the speed of the SSD.

PohTayToez

It's not uncommon to see the bluetooth and wireless built into the same card, but I've seen just as many laptops with separate cards for both.

Speaking of the SSD, would one be redily be attached to this computer? And would I be able to load the Factory restore disk to it, (in the PCI-e) if i were to pull the SATA HDD during the install and install a 1TB HDD after the install to hold data that does not need the speed of the SSD.

Wait what? First of all, absolutely no on pulling anything while the computer is on. But there is no reason you wouldn't be able to install your OS on the SSD. You don't have to do anything with any of your other drives to do that.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Bad language. What I was meaning is pull the SATA drive, turn on the computer do the install, and replace the SATA drive before I use it (to me this is pulled during install).
If I just leave the drive in with the SSD during a factory restore, the install will go to the HDD, not the SSD.

wolfeking

banned
not on a factory restore (needed to get all the drivers, and Software back). it auto installs. The OS and drivers are on a disk that just installs with all the default settings (including the drive to write to).

wolfeking

banned
ok, Think I have it figured out for now.
Looking into 7200 RPM drives (better than the factory 5400). Thinking Ill get a 500 GB (double current) and upgrade to a SATA SSD later.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136692. This one looked good to me.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231378. Upgrade to this, maybe a bigger drive as they come down in price.

Ram Upgrade: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231266
4GB DR3 1333 (the ram I have now is DDR3 667). Ill get one,see how it performs, then add another 4 (going from 6 to8 GB).

Gl1TCH

wow....

OK, Mr camledude , obviously you only stick to one kinda laptop, PC, or what ever , actually most laptop's have replacements for CPU's, wi-fi cards, RAM, HDD, CMOS battery's, so on and so on .......... yes the video cards are on-board , so yes the mother board would have to be replaced, and yes ; in most cases they do cost more than the machine itself . unless you know someone who know's someone . you just have to know your spec's .

now the battle has been won .

that is all

GL1TCH:eek::cool::D

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
OK, Mr camledude , obviously you only stick to one kinda laptop, PC, or what ever , actually most laptop's have replacements for CPU's, wi-fi cards, RAM, HDD, CMOS battery's, so on and so on .......... yes the video cards are on-board , so yes the mother board would have to be replaced, and yes ; in most cases they do cost more than the machine itself . unless you know someone who know's someone . you just have to know your spec's .

now the battle has been won .

that is all

GL1TCH:eek::cool::D

This thread is from 2011 and OP is banned.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.