Laptops Into Desktops

Devin

This Thread concerns the idea of creating a desktop/ all in one out of a laptop for a truly super budget PC build. Please be respectful of all. Yes i know you can build a cheap PC but some people only have laptops to work with in making their Frankenputers.

beers

Staff member
I've seen people try the other way with desktops in laptops, but why this? Laptop parts are limited by heat and power, why retain these limitations when you have larger case space and "unlimited" power potential?

You could probably make a cool sff case though

Devin

To begin with i have a Lenovo G510 from 2013. this contains a;
VIWGQ/GS LA 9641P motherboard Intel HM86 Chipset
Core i5 4200m 2.5(3.1) GHz
Intel HD 4600 BinGPU
2x 4GB DDR3 SODIMM memory
1x ODD CD/DVD
1x Stock 500GB HDD 5400 RPM
1x 15.6inch Glare type LED 1366 x 768
2x stock Laptop Speakers
1x Full Laptop Keyboard
Windows 8.1 64bit
1x BCM43142 WiFi chip
1x Builtin Laptop Webcam 1280 x 720 (but very blurry in reality)
Bluetooth 4.0
1x 48 Wh Lithium-Ion, 10.8 V, 4400 mAh battery
1x multi touch touch pad

The motherboard has the following ports External/ Internal
External:
2x USB 3.0
1x USB 2.0
1x 3.5mm HP/Mic combo Jack
1x VGA
1x HDMI 1.0
1x Cat 5 type Ethernet port
1x Standard SD card slot
1x AC in 65w - 90w
1x Kensington Style Lock Slot ( Which i do not plan to make use of )
Internal:
...i will update this info wheni figure it out...

Devin

I've seen people try the other way with desktops in laptops, but why this? Laptop parts are limited by heat and power, why retain these limitations when you have larger case space and "unlimited" power potential?

You could probably make a cool sff case though

as i said previously in the description that i only have a laptop and i want to extend its capabilities beyond what its meant to do. i dont have the time or money for an actual desktop set up so until then im going to disassemble. temperature and power to a certain extent can be altered. For example i plan on using a very large desktop cpu cooler.

Devin

Can someone tell me what type of connection that is under the keyboard that the ribbon wire is connected to? if you have any details about it that would be useful. for example does it have any other uses other than attaching a keyboard?

Devin

Wouldn't it take less time to assemble a desktop than try to jerry rig a laptop?

Good luck at least.
im sorry your day is spent being condescending. It takes less time to alter an existing computer (laptop) than to purchase piece by piece an entire desk top that as i mentioned before CAN NOT AFFORD. Please in the future dont take my words out of context and critique my post. Are you trolling me or something?

Cisco001

Sorry, I don't see the point.
Get a vga or HDMI cable and connect to monitor.
Then wireless keyboard and mouse
Job done.

strollin

For quite a few years now, my work setup has been a laptop with a docking station. I have an external monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers connected to the docking station. When I'm working with my laptop (my current work machine is a Surface Pro 4) connected to the dock, it's virtually indistinguishable from working on an actual desktop. Of course since this is a work setup, I'm not trying to game but I run VMs, compilers, editors, browser, office software, etc... without issue. The bonus to using it this way is that when I want to use the laptop as a laptop, all I need to do is disconnect from the docking station. No modifications required to the laptop itself.

beers

Staff member
Are you trolling me or something?
It was just a question, but since you choose to be rude, sure. I was more interested as to 'why'. It's perfectly acceptable to just do something that you enjoy, but don't lie to yourself under the ruse of 'expanding its capabilities'
CAN NOT AFFORD.
Your failures are your own, old man.

It would be cool to see a build log and how it ends up, however.

_Kyle_

You could do that, but wouldn't it just be easier to hook up the laptop to a external monitor.

_Kyle_

Did you read anything on here?
Yes I did. I see just no functional purpose in making a laptop into a desktop. But if your're just trying to do something unique, then I support you.

Last edited:

Devin

It was just a question, but since you choose to be rude, sure. I was more interested as to 'why'. It's perfectly acceptable to just do something that you enjoy, but don't lie to yourself under the ruse of 'expanding its capabilities'

Your failures are your own, old man.

It would be cool to see a build log and how it ends up, however.

First of all I'm 23 that hardly qualifies as old. Second you quoted me out of context and asked a question that was already answered twice. So in conclusion I'm being anything but rude and I have you to thank for my immediate frustration with forums which are a new medium to me.

_Kyle_

First of all I'm 23 that hardly qualifies as old. Second you quoted me out of context and asked a question that was already answered twice. So in conclusion I'm being anything but rude and I have you to thank for my immediate frustration with forums which are a new medium to me.
I don't find that rude. I salute you for your honesty, just avoid offending staff.

But, if you want some help:
  1. Are you gonna integrate the computer directly into the monitor, or mount it on the back?