LGA775 CPU upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milla Maxwell

I currently have an ABIT AA8XE / Socket LGA775 Mother Board with an Intel P4, 3.6GHz, 1MB Cache, 800 FSB (560 or 561). I'm wondering if I could upgrade the CPU.
Question is which Intel CPU would be the best choice? I have been researching for a solution to this for a long time, and I just don't have the experience needed. There is too many Specifications.
I want to know if the new CPU will be compatible, and will it be worth my effort?

Here is a link to the ABIT AA8XE

http://abit.ws/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php@pMODEL_NAME=AA8XE&fMTYPE=LGA775&pPRODINFO=BIOS

And here is a link to the CPU that I am currently using

http://ark.intel.com/products/27473/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-560J-supporting-HT-Technology-1M-Cache-3_60-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

And here is a link to the CPU that I want to use for the upgrade

http://ark.intel.com/products/42809/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E6700-2M-Cache-3_20-GHz-1066-FSB

beers

Staff member
IIRC there were some differences between early 775 boards and C2D but I can't recall the specific difference off hand.

It seems like that board/chipset would only support Prescott P4s such as the one currently installed.
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/30146403.pdf

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It had to have the 965 chipset in order to support C2D. The board only has the 925 chipset so your stuck with what you got.

H4rdR3s37

IIRC there were some differences between early 775 boards and C2D but I can't recall the specific difference off hand.

It seems like that board/chipset would only support Prescott P4s such as the one currently installed.
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/30146403.pdf

It's not about chipset, it's about voltage. Intel promised that Core 2 would use same voltage and VRM that Pentium 4 uses. Then motherboard manufacturers promised that their Pentium 4 compatible LGA775 board would support "future Intel CPU" (Core 2).

No hard to guess what Intel did after that.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It's not about chipset, it's about voltage. Intel promised that Core 2 would use same voltage and VRM that Pentium 4 uses. Then motherboard manufacturers promised that their Pentium 4 compatible LGA775 board would support "future Intel CPU" (Core 2).

Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

Where's the proof???

To be fully compatible with all core 2 duo's you needed the 965 chipset boards, some of the 945 chipset boards was able to support some of the lower end c2d's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

H4rdR3s37

Where's the proof???

To be fully compatible with all core 2 duo's you needed the 965 chipset boards, some of the 945 chipset boards was able to support some of the lower end c2d's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

Fully support mean high enough FSB. Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duo use same CPU bus so basically any chipset that supports Pentium 4 also supports Core 2 Duo. CPU socket voltage is that determines if Core 2 Duo will work even lower clock speed or not. And even P965 does not fully support every Core 2 Duo

Proof for that CPU support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775

Compatibility is quite variable, as earlier chip sets (Intel 915 and below) tend to support only single core P4 architecture CPU at 533/800 MT/s. Intermediate chip sets (e.g. Intel 945) commonly supported P4 dual core. For other chip sets, it also varies, as it is a complex issue of chip set capability, voltage regulator limitations and BIOS support.

Milla Maxwell

I can tell you guys know a lot about computers. More than I do anyway.
So if the voltage is supported can I go with a Core 2 Duo? or should I just leave what I have alone? What I have now works fine if I only run programs designed for P4.

H4rdR3s37

I can tell you guys know a lot about computers. More than I do anyway.
So if the voltage is supported can I go with a Core 2 Duo? or should I just leave what I have alone? What I have now works fine if I only run programs designed for P4.

First BIOS release date is 2004/10/01. Core 2 Duo come out 2006 so there is very small possibility that Core 2 is supported. Also Abit's CPU support list don't list that motherboard to be Core 2 compatible.

So based on those, Core 2 Duo will not work on that motherboard.

Milla Maxwell

First BIOS release date is 2004/10/01. Core 2 Duo come out 2006 so there is very small possibility that Core 2 is supported. Also Abit's CPU support list don't list that motherboard to be Core 2 compatible.

So based on those, Core 2 Duo will not work on that motherboard.

That makes sense to me. I didn't think to look at the dates. Yeah, The computer was built in march 2005. So the components are probably 2004. I'm just going to leave as is. I thought it be a good idea to check and see if I could do a simple upgrade.

You guys have been great, saved me time & money. Big thank you. really.

H4rdR3s37

John was right, it was the chipset.

When talking about desktops. Basically any chipset that supports any Pentium 4 CPU also supports any Core 2 duo. Full support requires that chipset supports high enough FSB and that motherboard supports processor. + driver support etc.

So 925 chipset supports every Core 2 processor. Not fully because 133*4 FSB limits but if CPU is totally incompatible with motherboard, it's about motherboard (or something else), not chipset.

In case you disagree, provide proof and I gladly admit I'm wrong.

Last edited:

H4rdR3s37

His board doesn't have 945, making your post irrelevant.

I meant 925. So I edited 925 to my post and now it's relevant.

Please show me a c2d on a 915/925 board that functions.

There are not any? But so what?? There are also many i945 with support only for Pentium 4, so i945 chipset was basically made before it was known what are exact requirements for Core 2 Duo. So i945 chipset should ber incompatible with Core 2. But there are newer i945 motherboards that support Core 2 duo. So claiming that i925 does not support Core 2 because there are no i925 boards that support Core 2 is wrong. It's about motherboard compatibility, not chipset compatibility.

Are there any AMD760G board with AM3 socket that supports AMD FX. No. So AMD 760G does not support FX CPU? Then what's this http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3833

Basically chipset does not care what CPU is used as long as CPU bus is supported. I have even used AMD K6-3 450 with motherboard that had Pentium MMX 166 for long time. Same CPU bus so chipset has no problems. Motherboard may have but that's different story.

H4rdR3s37

Thats an AM3+ board not an AM3, there is a difference.

Exactly. So AMD760 and AM3 has no FX CPU support but AMD760 and AM3+ has. But chipset are still same. Good example where chipset does not make difference, motherboard does.

Same thing with i945. Pentium 4 only compatible motherboard with i945 chipset does not support Core 2. But Core 2 compatible motherboard with same i945 chipset does support Core 2. Reasons why same logic cannot be applied to i925?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oh god. We are talking about 2 different companies. Intel and AMD. So maybe P4 and C2D used the same voltage memory support but maybe it was the 965 chipset that somehow made the C2D perform better. Same thing between the difference between the am3 and am3+ boards. You have to think that way too. The one to ask about the AMD difference would be @StrangleHold. He could tell you why you needed am3+ to run FX processors.

Okedokey

All of these chipsets will support LGA774 Pentium 4 and NOT C2D.

i845GV/GE/i848P/i865G/GV/P/PE/i910GL/i915G/GL/GV/P/PL/i925X

Although some 865s can with a BIOS update, the 925 cannot as the VRM standard (10.something) and the fact that the 915/925/955 series chipsets (unlike their predecessors, the 865/875 series and their successors, the 945 etc series) have support for more than one core disabled preclude the use of Core microarchitecture processors.

http://d1.amobbs.com/bbs_upload782111/files_51/ourdev_716308JV2GQY.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.