lightspeed laptop

techtic

i want a laptop for general uses but i'm also considering buying one built for gaming, hd movie watching and editing, and fast downloading.i want to spend as little as i can but at the same time i'm wiling to shell out the big bucks if it's very fast and for the aforementioned specs.

for me, speed is key because it saves time and time is money and i use a computer so it's lots of time and lots of time is lots of money. know what i mean? i dont know if it exists, but i'm looking for a lightspeed situation so i never have to wait, whether for starting up the computer, opening programs, switching folders, surfing the internet, etc.... if i cant get lightspeed i'll settle for rush hour speed. call me a speed freak.

i'm thinking of getting a desktop computer if it's much faster, much cheaper, or is much better for the aforementioned specs. like everything i talked about before, i know nothing about it in comparison to you guys, so please help me out.

i dont mind buying something used and i'd prefer it if its cheaper as long as it has or i still can purchase a long warranty

i appreciate any and all the help you guys give me.

steve

bikerkid

this completley depends on what you are prepaired to spend if you want to spend £3000 on a laptop then you could get a really fast alienware or an HP. However if you have less to spend then go for a desktop. To be honest i wouldnt spend much more than about £1500 on a laptop as it will be out of date within three years anyway lol. if you want something super fast, one of my friends is getting a £10000 mac desktop with 2 graphics cards of 16gb i think and 64gb Ram you could look into something like that and that should be good for about 8 years.

techtic

@kyle: how much cheaper?

the truth is, it's very hard for me to make a decision on which computer to buy because everything we're discussing is theoretical. i want to test the speed, gaming capabilities, video playback, etc.... to actually see how fast it is. does anyone know a store, website, or youtube channel/video where i can do this at?

Ultranothing

Asus Republic of Gamers G60JX

I just purchased a new ASUS G60JX last month - it's a beautiful system and it's lightning fast. It plays games such as COD-MW2 and BF-BC2 on max settings, and it can convert and burn a full-length avi video to DVD format in under 12 minutes (as opposed to over an hour on my old P4/HT 3.2GHZ).

I'm also running Photoshop CS5 and there isn't a bit of lag or stutter.

The best part is I got it for $800. You could spend an extra couple hundred on the i7 but that's up to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyyXZD22XtM has a review that I didn't actually watch myself.

techtic

@ultranothing:sounds awsom

someone's offering me a HP Pavilion dv7 for 1500$. it's got a 2 ghz duo core, 3 gig ram, g-force-gt vid card, n videa 9609 (might be 9600), 320 gig hdd, 17' hdmi screen, it's a 1 yr. old, and he'll help me if it breaks. this seems like a garbage deal, but i'll let the expert (you) me that.

i saw it sold used for 500$ on ebay. i dont mind buying a used laptop, but do you know if i can get a long 3-year (i dont know how many years it's worth paying for so i just picked 3) warranty on a used one (and if it's necessary or if an expensive one like this wont break)?

1shado1

someone's offering me a HP Pavilion dv7 for 1500$. it's got a 2 ghz duo core, 3 gig ram, g-force-gt vid card, n videa 9609 (might be 9600), 320 gig hdd, 17' hdmi screen, it's a 1 yr. old, and he'll help me if it breaks. this seems like a garbage deal, but i'll let the expert (you) me that.

Calling that a garbage deal is the understatement of the year, lol. The guy must think you have "screw me" tattooed on your forehead.

Ultranothing

Calling that a garbage deal is the understatement of the year, lol. The guy must think you have "screw me" tattooed on your forehead.

Yeah, seriously. That sounds horrible. I'm really enjoying the Asus G60JX. Looks like I forgot to give you the specs:

Intel Core i5-430M @ 2.27 or someshit GHZ
4GB DDR3-1066 RAM
500GB SATA HD - 7200RPM
Nvidia GTS360M - 1GB GDDR5

Very solid build quality, lots of cool features (the bios screen 'explodes' into the ROG logo...kewl) and all-around, for under $900, it's a deal and a half.

Ultranothing

i saw it sold used for 500$ on ebay. i dont mind buying a used laptop, but do you know if i can get a long 3-year (i dont know how many years it's worth paying for so i just picked 3) warranty on a used one (and if it's necessary or if an expensive one like this wont break)?

Yeah, just to reiterate, whoever is offering you that needs to have to kick his ass, because that's just insulting.

Geoff

VIP Member
There is always going to be waiting, mainly because of the hard drive. Even with an SSD you are going to be waiting for it to bootup, shutdown, and login.

techtic

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ASUS+G+Series+G73JH-X1+Intel+Core+i7&l=1
email him this link and tell him you got a better deal elsewhere. :D

Yeah, seriously. That sounds horrible. I'm really enjoying the Asus G60JX. Looks like I forgot to give you the specs:

Intel Core i5-430M @ 2.27 or someshit GHZ
4GB DDR3-1066 RAM
500GB SATA HD - 7200RPM
Nvidia GTS360M - 1GB GDDR5

Very solid build quality, lots of cool features (the bios screen 'explodes' into the ROG logo...kewl) and all-around, for under $900, it's a deal and a half.

Yeah, just to reiterate, whoever is offering you that needs to have to kick his ass, because that's just insulting.

[-0MEGA-];1483243 said:
There is always going to be waiting, mainly because of the hard drive. Even with an SSD you are going to be waiting for it to bootup, shutdown, and login.

yo i just whooped that man. the laptop is mine free. thanks a lot guys. im done with this site.

jk lmao.

"email him this link and tell him you got a better deal elsewhere."

ya but that deals not that much better. the gigahertz speed is lower on yours.

"That sounds horrible. I'm really enjoying the Asus G60JX. Looks like I forgot to give you the specs"

sounds sick but the truth is by me i want the fastest possible laptop so i'm much pickier and speed's my main priority.

What about getting a fast laptop and installing a fast SSD drive for the OS and using the old internal drive as storage? is that a way to go to get a lightspeed laptop?

"Even with an SSD you are going to be waiting for it to bootup, shutdown, and login."
ya but out of all of my options isnt that the fastest way 2 go? and how much time would i save with an ssd btw?

guys i appreciate your help/ keep it coming

rwm19

sry to bust bubbles but its more that a better deal.
it's got a 2 ghz duo core
core i7 beats duos without a doubt. dont just compare numbers when dealing with processors. theres alot more to them than just #.##Ghz
also the g73 comes with 5gb more ram, 180gb more hd space. .3'' bigger, better video card.
i think its better for 50$ more... i mean if ur rdy to spend 1500, why not 50 more??

techtic

ok quick break in the conversation i'll get back on your comment later.

this looks like it might take a little bit before i decide on a computer and in the meantime i've been borrowing my friends' computers and it's been mad annoying. so if you could just help me get a rush hour speed (not lightspeed) laptop in the meantime that i'd buy used on ebay for like 300-500$ before i get a laptop/desktop that's crazy fast for crazy money i'd really appreciate it.

i think it's worth it for me because even if i choose my lightspeed laptop in the next 2 weeks i'll have a backup computer for when i need it. imo used comps on ebay is the cheapest way to go for a short-term computer (meaning i dont need a warranty on this one because it's only for the next 2 months tops).

please dont give up on my crazy researching. trust me im going to spend a lot of money soon on what u guys are helping me with and im not wasting your time

techtic

update

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

i decided it's not worth getting a backup comp and i'm down to the last stages of deciding which computer i'm buying. i dont want a desktop because i want to be able to travel but i still have a few questions before i pick my laptop.

how important is 64-bit?
how much does it cost to buy a ssd fast laptop?
does an i7 as opposed to an i5 make everything run faster?

bkribbs

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

i decided it's not worth getting a backup comp and i'm down to the last stages of deciding which computer i'm buying. i dont want a desktop because i want to be able to travel but i still have a few questions before i pick my laptop.

how important is 64-bit?
how much does it cost to buy a ssd fast laptop?
does an i7 as opposed to an i5 make everything run faster?

64 Bit allows for more RAM to be used, so it can be faster. I would use it if you can.

SSD hdd's only go as large as 80? GB's. So I would avoid SSD. But it adds a little bit, but not a ton.

EDIT- I have been corrected. I had never seen a SSD above 80. But they do.

Check out this site for a comparison: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/48391.aspx

Here is a quick summary between the two.

Even so, Core i5 is clearly meant to be a more mainstream processor. Those who use their computers for heavily multi-thread applications will miss hyper-threading and the triple-channel memory, which means that a Core i7 on an LGA1366 socket will be best. For most us, however, Core i5 is more cost effective (it's available for around $200), and quite adequate for our needs.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/48391.aspx#ixzz0qlQGqvLo

Last edited:

Millsy

I just purchased a new ASUS G60JX last month - it's a beautiful system and it's lightning fast. It plays games such as COD-MW2 and BF-BC2 on max settings, and it can convert and burn a full-length avi video to DVD format in under 12 minutes (as opposed to over an hour on my old P4/HT 3.2GHZ).

I'm also running Photoshop CS5 and there isn't a bit of lag or stutter.

The best part is I got it for $800. You could spend an extra couple hundred on the i7 but that's up to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyyXZD22XtM has a review that I didn't actually watch myself.

I did a search on these and found them over $2000, where did you get one for that price?
Millsy