Linksys BEFSR41 Connection Drops - Please Help

jpzsports

My router, Linksys BEFSR41 v3 (which is using the newest firmware),disconnects from the internet occasionally and I have to unplug and replug it for it to regain connection. It used to do this occasionally, but now it's happening once a day or so and it's becoming a real frustration. I tried connecting my laptop directly to my cable modem, and it works fine. So it's not my internet. Something is messed up with the router. Any advice on something I can adjust in the settings, maybe?

thanks

MixedLogik

Wireless Connections are not the most reliable thing. I've used Linksys Routers and they are crap. They burn out in about a year. You should get a wired connection. I don't really know what to tell as far as what to do except maybe that your router is dying. It is not your ISP, or LAN so it is your router.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Here's what I did to solve this with my Linksys:

1. On each PC connected to the router, look at your TCP/IP properties. Manually input the default gateway (that's the IP of the router, usually 192.168.1.1), the default subnet mask (255.255.255.0), and an IP for each machine (192.168.1.100 for the first, 102 for the second, etc). Also put in the DNS server IPs from your ISP. You can find these by going to Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all .

2. In the router setup configuration, make sure DHCP is Enabled, and put those same DNS server IP addresses in where it says Static DNS 1 and Static DNS 2.

I did this a month ago and have only needed to reboot the router once instead of many times a day. :D

Tom

Last edited:

jpzsports

1. On each PC connected to the router, look at your TCP/IP properties. Manually input the default gateway (that's the IP of the router, usually 192.168.1.1), the default subnet mask (255.255.255.1), and an IP for each machine (192.168.1.100 for the first, 102 for the second, etc). Also put in the DNS server IPs from your ISP. You can find these by going to Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all .

2. In the router setup configuration, make sure DHCP is Enabled, and put those same DNS server IP addresses in where it says Static DNS 1 and Static DNS 2.

I did this a month ago and have only needed to reboot the router once instead of many times a day. :D

Tom

ok, thanks - I'll try it. :)

Deepblue

what kinda of ISP do you have Cable or DSL. you can assign static IPs to all your systems but this shouldnt have to be done unless you have a reason to do it such as running a server.

DHCP sould assign IPs to your systems without any issues

jpzsports

1. On each PC connected to the router, look at your TCP/IP properties. Manually input the default gateway (that's the IP of the router, usually 192.168.1.1), the default subnet mask (255.255.255.0), and an IP for each machine (192.168.1.100 for the first, 102 for the second, etc). Also put in the DNS server IPs from your ISP. You can find these by going to Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all .

Tom

ok - I'll try this now - but I just wanted to ask you this first.

When my router drops the connection, it drops it for all my computers and my Playstation 3 at the same time. So the problem has to do with the router. You want me to edit the settings on my computer, so will this still stop the router from dropping the connection?

Deepblue

Tom

I hate to say this but this makes no sense, Why enable DHCP when you are assigning static IPs to each system ?
DHCP is the protocal that assigns IPs to each system.
you can assign static IPs to the system and leave the DHCP disabled and it will work the same. also you have no reason to enter the DNS servers in the router because you already have them assigned in each system.

verify that your router is set to obtain IP automaticly. then while you have a active internet connection run ipconfig /all and get the DNS addresses
now set each system with a static IP like OvenMaster said.

If you have no more issues then you routers DHCP is not assigning IPs correctly. if you do have issues and you are sure its not you ISP then you need a new router.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Hey, all I know is that my router now stays connected after doing what I did.

When I disabled DHCP, I kept having to reboot, sometimes four or five times per hour.
When I didn't enter the DNS server IPs, I had a hard time reconnecting, often getting "Cannot connect to PPPoE server!" error messages.

These things didn't make sense to me either, but I can't argue with success!

Deepblue

Hey, all I know is that my router now stays connected after doing what I did.

When I disabled DHCP, I kept having to reboot, sometimes four or five times per hour.
When I didn't enter the DNS server IPs, I had a hard time reconnecting, often getting "Cannot connect to PPPoE server!" error messages.

These things didn't make sense to me either, but I can't argue with success!

you on DSL then with a PPPoE connection.
Is your modem set to bridge ethernet and the PPPoE connection info set it the router.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
ok - I'll try this now - but I just wanted to ask you this first.

When my router drops the connection, it drops it for all my computers and my Playstation 3 at the same time. So the problem has to do with the router. You want me to edit the settings on my computer, so will this still stop the router from dropping the connection?

Yes, as I mentioned earlier. I have no clue if PS3's have any configuration screens that would enable you to set static IPs for it, so I can't say. I know zero about game consoles.
Tom

lhoney2

I had this router. I finally got sick of having to reboot the damn thing. I went to office depot and bought a $40 Netgear wireless G router. To my surprise, they gave me a $20 instant rebate at the register, so I got the router for $20. No more problems.

Get rid of that Linksys P.O.S. I've read too many others that have had the EXACT same problem. Just get a new one and promise yourself that you will never buy Linksys garbage again.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Get rid of that Linksys P.O.S. I've read too many others that have had the EXACT same problem. Just get a new one and promise yourself that you will never buy Linksys garbage again.

I'm glad you're talking to jpzsports about his v.3 router and not my v.4 model, because mine works just fine, thank you very much. I don't buy pieces of $hit.

Perhaps if other people who had troubles with this "EXACT same problem" tried what I did, they might not have troubles any more either. Maybe that's what you're supposed to do and the owner's manual is what's really the P.O.S. It sure wouldn't be the first time that a manual was worthless. I found out how to get mine running right by going online, not by relying on the stupid manual which looked to me like it was written by drunken chimps.

Last edited:

jpzsports

well, my connection hasn't dropped, but everything has been really slow lately. I think it's time for me to get a new router. This little guy has been pushed hard enough over the years. So, what do you people recommend for a new router? I've been doing lots of research and the only one that seems to get positive reviews is the D-Link 4-port router.
Here's a link:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=478&sec=1

So, does it seem good as a replacement for my Linksys? And I have a PS3 so I hope all goes well.
I'll probably order this router today....

thanks

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Hm. :( I'm very sorry you didn't have much success. Yeah, it didn't drop the connection, but you traded it for slow speed. My two cents is to try another router, and if it's still slow, maybe it's something else(?).
Regards from Tom

jpzsports

I bought the same router, BEFSR41, except now it's version 4.2. So far, so good.
You mentioned that you have version 4 - how has it been for you?

Thanks