Linux Guide

wolfeking

banned
I'm glad the guide has helped. I am however planning on cleaning it up and making it a little more presentable in the coming weeks though.

onipar

I'm glad the guide has helped. I am however planning on cleaning it up and making it a little more presentable in the coming weeks though.

Sweet, I look forward to it!

The Linux version I installed was on my parents computer for Christmas, so I haven't had time to fiddle with it. i anticipate a lot of questions once December 25th hits. :eek:

wolfeking

banned
Ill try my best to answer them. I am also going to update with a redhat and mandrake section when I get home next week. Got a neat book on them, so should answer a lot of questions and aide in the guide.

onipar

Ill try my best to answer them. I am also going to update with a redhat and mandrake section when I get home next week. Got a neat book on them, so should answer a lot of questions and aide in the guide.

Ouch. I had to Google redhat and mandrake to figure out what it was. *Tony shakes his head and sighs.* I'm doomed. :p

wolfeking

banned
According to the book, they are very popular distros, but I think it is out of date, as it also starts with a section on how to use DOS to make a boot floppy, and talks about how a Pentium MMX and 32MB of ram would run any linux.

However, If i see what they are doing, I can find the modern way to do it.

NyxCharon

Red Hat is one of the oldest distros. It was the first to have active support available for it's distro, when linux was just starting, and is now probably the most popular enterprise linux distro.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Red Hat is one of the oldest distros. It was the first to have active support available for it's distro, when linux was just starting, and is now probably the most popular enterprise linux distro.

This is true, I just wish they wouldn't play mad scientist with Fedora sometimes and make it a better OS for the people. They put a lot of test programs into it which has lead Fedora down some destructive paths.

wolfeking

banned
linux is for advance computer user not easy to learn

plain BS. If your willing to learn, you can have the fundamentals in less than 10 hours.

The same can be said of Windows. I find it difficult to use. Especially having to scower the interwebs to find drivers that in all fairness should be at dell.com/support.

TekMaster

wolfeking, you have accomplished a great step in making this tutorial free to all who wishes to explorer. I must say, you have done a great job in giving a few different distros accompanied and giving a great overall basic beginner know-how to getting started. I can honestly say it's been years since ive had to use GRUB and duel boot because I have decided a long time ago to go ahead with the linux main system (not saying I don't use a VM from time to time) But I must say you have done a superb job giving basic understanding in at least providing a stable install and getting the ball rolling. I love how you went thorough each window manager and explained them to the fullest plus gave links for further study. To be honest if everyone here knew what a superb system linux provides, there would be no questions, THANK YOU

wolfeking

banned
the D530 should be near to a D630, and Ubuntu had all the drivers but Nvidia strait out of the box. As did crunchbang and Fedora.

wolfeking

banned
I did not cover red hat here. This guide is more oriented at installation and setup as well as a compairison. The guide is under revision and a new one will be up soon, within the next two months.

To study for your exam, I would suggest that you consult either a online RHCE study guide, or your class text.

Maybe you should mention how to change resolution using terminal. It may be useful if you are on a device such as a Raspberry Pi and you are not given the option of changing the Resolution.

For a Raspberry Pi, its something like:
I typed this earlier for my own reference...
Type in:
Code:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -s
to view your current resoloution
Type in
Code:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA
or
Code:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m DMT
to get a list up of resolutions available. Pick the one you want and memorise the Mode Number, so for 1440x769 60hz, I am picking Mode 47..
Now type in
Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
and press enter. A block of text appears. Find
Code:
#hdmi_mode=1
and use the arrow keys to navigate to it. Change the number to what you chose earlier, and delete the # so now I have:
Code:
hdmi_mode=47
Great. Now press CTRL and X. Press Y and then Enter.
Type in
Code:
sudo reboot
to see your change.
If you are struggling to see the display. Remove your SD Card, put it into a Windows PC, Open "config.txt" and alter it there, then save, and put back into the Raspberry Pi.
Fiddle with this until you find the correct resolution. I checked my PC Source on my TV, and it said Optimal Resolution "1440x768", so I used this in the HDMI.

wolfeking

banned
The Guide is under revision. If you have any more suggestions, feel free to post them.

Though, in most distros it is not necessary to use CLI to change resolution. Any windows manager has an option for it, and rpie should be strong enough to run a minimal, like openbox (with openbox, file manager, Chrome with 10 tabs, abi word, and terminal open, I am only using 600MB of RAM, and 2% cpu. Should be able to trim that down near to 100MB should I close out everything but 1 tab and terminal.)

The Guide is under revision. If you have any more suggestions, feel free to post them.

Though, in most distros it is not necessary to use CLI to change resolution. Any windows manager has an option for it, and rpie should be strong enough to run a minimal, like openbox (with openbox, file manager, Chrome with 10 tabs, abi word, and terminal open, I am only using 600MB of RAM, and 2% cpu. Should be able to trim that down near to 100MB should I close out everything but 1 tab and terminal.)

You mean on a Raspberry Pi? RPies only have 512mb RAM :p...If you want some help covering Debian/Raspbian...and basics...I will give you a hand :)

wolfeking

banned
Help is not needed.

But with 512MB you should be able to run openbox just fine as long as you limit what you open with it.

spirit

Staff member
I believe my Raspberry-Pi only has 256MB RAM, but anyway, I look forward to rading the revised version.