Linux vs. Windows

cones

I use ubuntu as my main os. I only have windows for itunes. I can do everything on linux that i need to do. Also if you can't find a program for linux you can use wine if the program is supported by wine.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Just try some form of Linux and see what you think, not just a few days and give up. Its a learning curve. If you think its not your thing, get Windows. Still dual boot, Linux might grow on you.

Last edited:

salvage-this

I use ubuntu as my main os. I only have windows for itunes. I can do everything on linux that i need to do. Also if you can't find a program for linux you can use wine if the program is supported by wine.

Just curious, what do you need from iTunes that you do not have in Rhythmbox?

Last edited:

MrEMann

Dual boot sounds like the best bet. I can get Windows 7 for free, so price isn't the issue. I do a lot of gaming and stuff, so I guess I'll keep Windows and try out Linux.

Thanks for all the input.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I used to be a full-time Linux user (first Ubuntu, then moved on to Fedora), and I can say that "the only good thing about Linux is it's free" is blatantly false. One thing I do have to give Windows credit for is its handling of dual monitors, though - the reason I don't use Linux as my main OS any more is because the dual monitor setup on my laptop was (well, is) so glitchy... apparently this had a lot to do with the fact that they were both different resolution.

lucasbytegenius

I used to be a full-time Linux user (first Ubuntu, then moved on to Fedora), and I can say that "the only good thing about Linux is it's free" is blatantly false. One thing I do have to give Windows credit for is its handling of dual monitors, though - the reason I don't use Linux as my main OS any more is because the dual monitor setup on my laptop was (well, is) so glitchy... apparently this had a lot to do with the fact that they were both different resolution.
There are these mythical and totally wonderful things called drivers...Though yes I have to admit extended desktop did not work in Ubuntu 10.04 on my elderly 8-9 year old Lifebook E66xx series laptop, despite days of research and forum posting. But everything else worked perfectly (except for a couple minor things that old computers with Linux suffer from), and I used it more than Windows 7 on that laptop, in fact there were months when I didn't boot into Windows.
I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on my desktop right now, works like a charm, and in fact this message was typed using FF in it. There are many, literally thousands, of free apps for Linux, so it was easy finding alternatives to software I used in Windows, and many of my Windows programs had Linux counterparts, easing the switch. Granted, I still use Windows for gaming, it's unavoidable in this age of Microsoft dominance, but Linux features some great games as well that I'm totally addicted to and most of which can't be found for Windows.
Internet integration is amazing, featuring a chat program that can access several different chat accounts on several different services simultaneously, and mail and my social life are neatly integrated as well.
Everything is neatly placed and organized, there isn't a bloated system tray sitting to the left of the clock, and I have experienced productivity increases due to the switchable workspaces.
Not to mention the last recorded time a computer running Linux got a virus was in the mid 90s. Linux isn't virus or hack-proof, imo no OS is, but it's extremely rare for a hacker to go out and try to hack one of the rare Linux machines floating around the globe, unless it's part of a huge corporation, as ironically demonstrated with a couple M$ servers earlier this year. So you'd be saving anitvirus fees and performance degradation while using Linux.
Bottom line is, it's a matter of personal preference, and you have nothing to lose in trying Linux, and you can burn a CD and boot and run everything from that during testing with most distributions. Linux isn't free because it's a bad OS, it's free because the authors wanted something different in the world; they wanted something that could be easily modified and they recognized the potential of millions of programmers from all over the world developing and improving the code to create an OS that could compete with the big two. When you pop a Linux CD into your drive, you are taking a part in this world-wide effort to provide something different.

As for distribution suggestions, I highly recommend the latest version of Ubuntu, it's the easiest to get started with. Just remember to approach the mighty penguin in noob mode, ditching all pre-learned knowledge on how Windows works and embracing the OS.

P.C.Man

I'm trying to determine what I should get on the next computer I build.

What do you guys think about each of these operating systems?

I'm looking at either Fedora or Ubuntu for linux and Windows 7.

If your machine has at least 4 GBs of RAM and the rest of your hardware is compatible (and can handle the load), I would personally recommend windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

lucasbytegenius

If your machine has at least 4 GBs of RAM and the rest of your hardware is compatible (and can handle the load), I would personally recommend windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

Let's get something straight: You don't need 4 GB to run Windows 7 x64. Look at my sig. 20% (and most of the time less than that) used. Now, if you want to take advantage of a total RAM amount of past 4 GB, then yes get the 64 bit version.
Just to clarify :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
Let's get something straight: You don't need 4 GB to run Windows 7 x64. Look at my sig. 20% (and most of the time less than that) used. Now, if you want to take advantage of a total RAM amount of past 4 GB, then yes get the 64 bit version.
Just to clarify :)

Yeah but the minute you want to do anything you need at least 4 gigs of RAM. If I load photoshop or play Starcraft II my 4 gigs total jumps to about 3.6gigs in use. Plus Windows 7 will cache things out to RAM using it, so really it does benefit you.

A lot of computers you buy come standard with 4 gigs of RAM these days.

Jamien

My suggestion is you should go for Windows OS. In present all most every computer program will support for windows operating system. Linux is an open source but you can’t do more work with it.

Hsv_Man

My suggestion is you should go for Windows OS. In present all most every computer program will support for windows operating system. Linux is an open source but you can’t do more work with it.

Exactly the programs released today are made for windows as 95% + computer users are using a windows operating system. So with windows you just can't go wrong. As mentioned earlier if you dual boot you can choose which OS you want to use at startup so thats always a good way to go.

vnsmith

banned

and you are right about it. :)

Exactly the programs released today are made for windows as 95% + computer users are using a windows operating system. So with windows you just can't go wrong. As mentioned earlier if you dual boot you can choose which OS you want to use at startup so thats always a good way to go.

and so are you..

Windows is the wide use and commonly preferred by every one because of the compatibility it presents with other programs. you won't find a hard time looking for program support..