Linux vs. Windows

tlarkin

VIP Member
Windows is the wide use and commonly preferred by every one because of the compatibility it presents with other programs. you won't find a hard time looking for program support..

You think that is the reason Windows is widely used? I got a newsflash for you. Every single OS out there: Linux, Unix, OS X, all have compatible applications and all have applications that do everything a Windows box can do, perhaps aside from video games.

The only real reason Windows got so big, is their business model, not because they are a superior product. At one point in time MS was buying over 100 companies per a year. They just out did every company in business, made more money, had a better marketing plan, and they got lucky because it all happened during the tech boom.

If you would hit the reset button on it all now, and reset all marketing and knowledge on all computers and start to sell them, I do not think Microsoft would come out as good as they have it now.

Zabuza_Haku

Love Linux, using Linux Mint 10 now, switched from Fedora 13,before that was using opensuse 11.2 64bit

Windows is good for compatibility with programs and games, but it requires way to much maintenance, security,defraging etc,gets real tedious. For me atleast.

Prefer linux as well due to the fact linux operating systems provide MUCH more options and choices, I switch from Gnome,KDE and LXDE every few or so months lol.Not to mention I change distros a lot for the fun of it. Returning to Fedora 14 soon,just got me the DVD.

Linux DVDs that come with openoffice,vlc etc are great especially for me since I prefer offline installation and keeping a back up of all my programs,compared to a windows box.
I find linux a life saver as well for my older desktops and laptops,was able to revive my old Pentium 2 thanks to linux and my old Pentium m with puppy linux, more options = more freedom

my 2 cents.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Love Linux, using Linux Mint 10 now, switched from Fedora 13,before that was using opensuse 11.2 64bit

LM10 sucks so far. I stuck it on my E6500 which ran LM9 like a dream, but it ran LM10 like crap. I think I may just wait a few months for the next edition to come out before I upgrade.

tlarkin

VIP Member
+1

Why get an old OS with up to DX9 support that isn't as quick or readily available as Win7?

Also, MS either have, or are going to soon, end support for XP SP3

I agree that Windows 7 is superior to XP technology wise, but still uses the same old model that NT was built on. However, if you notice certain changes happen in 7 that make me want to guess MS is starting to adapt their OS into a more Unix-like OS. Only time will tell.

salvage-this

What makes you think that Windows is using more of a Unix approach? Wouldn't that require a rebuild of the OS from the ground up?

tlarkin

VIP Member
What makes you think that Windows is using more of a Unix approach? Wouldn't that require a rebuild of the OS from the ground up?

Notice how all home folders are now in C:\Users where as before they were embedded in the Documents and Settings folder. That means each user can have parent POSIX permissions, and this was probably implemented due to having to run certain applications as administrator.

The NT kernel is loosely based on Unix. Unix is the grand father of all Operating Systems.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Not for another three years my friend.

This is honestly a bad thing. Every other OS in the world stops supporting things when they get several years old. The fact that it is still supported means developers have to code compatibility thus creating bloated code, and leaving open tons of security leaks.

If MS made their OS a bit cheaper, like $100 and dropped support for the oldest OS say every 3 years, people would probably buy the new one. They'd also get rid of the feature limiting versions.

Quiltface

This is honestly a bad thing. Every other OS in the world stops supporting things when they get several years old. The fact that it is still supported means developers have to code compatibility thus creating bloated code, and leaving open tons of security leaks.

If MS made their OS a bit cheaper, like $100 and dropped support for the oldest OS say every 3 years, people would probably buy the new one. They'd also get rid of the feature limiting versions.

Yes I hate how windows is so damn expensive... you can get oem 7 for $100. But i would like to see 1 version of the OS (minus servers) at a flat rate of $100 or less. No more home premium... professional ultimate nonsense.

sunnysid3up

“A computer is like air conditioning – it becomes useless when you open Windows”

Windows is a must have though, for anything besides internet, or programming. Get W7, then dual boot with Linux.

yup dual booting is a good idea if you cant decide. I am dual booting W7 ultimate and lunix right now and i barely use lunix. its just there if you need it....

anyways you just install windows then put the ubuntu CD and click install. make sure you dual boot and not delete you windows 7 :eek:

but if you only want one OS i would use windows 7 just cuz when i was using lunix half the programs i needed were not compatible with lunix

wolfeking

banned
The dual boot is the best Idea, however, you better have the restore disk to your windows OS, as the Linux/Ubuntu install will screw the restore partition on the hard drive.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The dual boot is the best Idea, however, you better have the restore disk to your windows OS, as the Linux/Ubuntu install will screw the restore partition on the hard drive.

If you're tech savvy you don't need restore disks or partitions :p

salvage-this

Having two partitions with all of your data.

Rebooting whenever you want to use a program from the other OS

Neither of those are not that bad for me. It would feel weird not to have a dual boot now.