Liquid Cooling for my PC

davidandersson

Liquid Cooling

I have a few problems. The first one is that my graphics card goes up to about 88 degrees Celsius whenever I play Crysis. The other problem is that my fans are quite load when I leave my computer on overnight because it does things such as downloading large files, scanning for viruses etc, and I am fed up with that. I have an Antec Sonata III 500 case, and I was just wondering if it was possible for me to get liquid cooling into it?

G25r8cer

I would say replace the thermal paste on the card and get a fan controller fro your fans. Much cheaper than doing a water cooling setup

davidandersson

There is a miniature fan already mounted on the graphics card, and there are multiple fans inside the computer. There is one over the CPU and one at the back of the case.
I was also looking at overclocking my system, so liquid cooling would be nice for that, plus I could get the liquid cooling really cheap.
What brand would people suggest? I have listed options of what I think might be liquid cooling systems, but I'm not sure.

Thermaltake Blue Orb II /ISGC 100 /ISGC 200 /ISGC 400
Noctua NH-U9B-SE2 / U12P-SE2 / C12P/SE14
Coolermaster Universal Hyper TX3 / 212+

The slashes mean different models I think...

G25r8cer

Im not too good when it comes to liquid cooling. But, the point im trying to make is that your money is not going to be well spent on a liquid cooling system if all you want is a quiet pc out of it. A custom liquid cooling system which, is the only way to go, will cost you atleast $300-400. For $50 you could get a fan controller and some new thermal paste. A fan controller will let you turn down each of your fans at night. Thermal paste will lower your gpu temps.

Turbo10

Sounds pretty good. So where can I get these things? The shop that I get my computer hardware from is called MSY (http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/msy.htm). I have linked the page where the parts are advertised.

By the sounds of it you're not completely familiar with pc cooling, i would just upgrade your fans as water cooling is a difficult setup to install. Either risk installing it yourself, get someone else to do it or improve your air cooling :)

Aastii

VIP Member
The only benefit of water over a decent air cooling is sound. A decent watercooling setup can ofcourse greatly improve temperatures, but why pay $200+ for a loop when you can spend say $100 on a couple of decent HSF's for your CPU and GPU and a few decent case fans?

If you are set on watercooling though, read through this first:

http://www.computerforum.com/35041-liquid-cooling-101-a.html

I'd put up some cooling sollutions and such, but am at college at the moment and near all shopping sites are blocked, so can't really find anything for you I'm afraid

ScottALot

If you're deadset on watercooling, but you're on a budget, I have to suggest the Corsair H50 because it'd fit pretty well in that case and probably give you near the temps that you want.

Aastii

VIP Member
If you're deadset on watercooling, but you're on a budget, I have to suggest the Corsair H50 because it'd fit pretty well in that case and probably give you near the temps that you want.

wouldn't help gpu though ;)

now I am home, can post some air cooling up (I know they aren't in AUD, but it is just to show the products. Bare in mind, they are cheaper than the water cooling counterparts too)

For the graphics card, either Prolimatech MK-13 or AC xtreme gtx 280

I personally would go for the prolimatech, but, remember that it comes with no fans. It can take 2 120mm fans, but the arctic cooling one comes with fans, very quiet ones at that, so overall will be much cheaper

Rather than having the hot air in the case too, get more case fans in a decent configuration (atleast 1x120mm in front, 1x120mm out back, maybe one out of top if you can)

If you want performance over sound, then get a couple of yate loon 120mm fans. They are fairly loud though, but dirt cheap and move alot of air.

If you'd prefer less sound, SilenX iXtrema Pro are quiet, move a hell of alot of air for the noise they produce, but can be quite pricey.

Because you said that you don't like it being loud at night though, you can also look into getting a fan controller, so at night when it isn't making too much heat and is just sat there, you can turn the fan speeds down so it is quieter, but still moving the hot air out. I'm not going to post one up, you can get a cheap one that just controls the fans, you can get a super expensive one that gives out digital readings for all fans, temps, can control some stupid number of fans and isn't really worth it all that much.

Fira

banned
What I would recommend is air conditioner (the one that you either use a knob or buttons to make hotter or cooler or off) and a small - small-medium size battery powered fan.

Here is where you can get battery powered fans:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...Battery+powered+fan&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Battery+powered+fan

Air conditioner I would recommend not too cold just fairly cold enough to feel a cool breeze.

Put the fans away from the computer about say 17 inches and then turn them on to about low-medium (between low and medium) power. Aim the fan at the back of the hardware (monitor, harddrive etc.) to provide cooling this may work I think anyways.

Do the keep the fan(s) on and air conditioner for about atleast 30 minutes before turning off this should be able to keep the computer cool.

If this does not work sorry.

Last edited:

davidandersson

I'm pretty set for a liquid cooling because I want to overclock my computer soon, just because I want to do it and see what it is like.

My budget for getting a liquid cooling is about 400 Australian Dollars (which is about 370 USD and about 275 Euros), but I'm more set on getting a good cooling system so I'm willing to put much more money than that towards it.

I read ur post about liquid cooling and I think I have fallen for it. Maybe I've missed it, but I don't think that you mentioned external cooling systems in the detailed descriptions?

MyCattMaxx

SeriousCooling1.jpg

Tempmeter.bmp

davidandersson

I think I'm pretty steady on an external liquid cooling system. What are some steps from here? I have read in the 101 on liquid cooling that you guys don't like a lot of the kits that are for sale out there. How do I custom assemble a liquid cooling system?

davidandersson

I had started a threat about liquid cooling, but at the time I wasn't really thinking about it much and was just wondering. Also it seems like there already was a threat called that so I don't think people were bothering to look at the on I posted.
Anyway, I am looking at getting a liquid cooling setup for my pc. I have an Antec Sonata III case and my hardware is in my signature. I would like to get liquid cooling for all parts, not just the CPU, because I am going to overclock it in the near future. Whilst I have read the 101 that had been written about liquid cooling, I found out that the liquid cooling system that I would like to have is one that has an external radiator. I don't think that my case is set up for liquid cooling, so would it be best to manually modify it or just get a case that is meant for liquid cooling?
I looked at the Swiftech website but they aren't really all that clear about what you should get, and also it is just one manufacturer that is ut there, and I'm sure that there are plenty more to choose from. Any advice on what to get and what manufacturer to choose?

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Please do not start a new thread on the same topic, it can easily create confusion on the part of people trying to help. A moderator can re-name a thread or something along those line for you... Thanks!