Liquid Cooling for my PC

funkysnair

VIP Member
I had started a threat about liquid cooling, but at the time I wasn't really thinking about it much and was just wondering. Also it seems like there already was a threat called that so I don't think people were bothering to look at the on I posted.
Anyway, I am looking at getting a liquid cooling setup for my pc. I have an Antec Sonata III case and my hardware is in my signature. I would like to get liquid cooling for all parts, not just the CPU, because I am going to overclock it in the near future. Whilst I have read the 101 that had been written about liquid cooling, I found out that the liquid cooling system that I would like to have is one that has an external radiator. I don't think that my case is set up for liquid cooling, so would it be best to manually modify it or just get a case that is meant for liquid cooling?
I looked at the Swiftech website but they aren't really all that clear about what you should get, and also it is just one manufacturer that is ut there, and I'm sure that there are plenty more to choose from. Any advice on what to get and what manufacturer to choose?

you need to be spacific

everything is

cpu-ram-mobo-gpu-hard drive-psu you are tlaking alot of money!

for someone new do you not think you want to start with just the cpu?

davidandersson

My Graphics card is quite hot at the moment (when using high performance programs it goes up to 88 degrees) which is one of the reasons I will need the GPU in the water cooling system. Also what if I got a liquid cooling system for my CPU and then wanted to also have the rest of my hardware cooled to a higher degree? Would I be able to plug the rest into the first system?
I think at the moment I would be looking at the CPU and the GPU and maybe parts of the motherboard. My hdds and optical drives are fine without any fans on them at the moment (the hdds are at about 22 degrees).
A liquid cooling system would be a one time investment and then I would want to use it for a long time, which is why I am willing to put as much money towards it as it will need...:)

davidandersson

Maybe I'll post a list of parts that I am considering:

Radiator ~$57
Swiftech is the way to go here I would say. There are 3 possibilities here. There is 1 fan radiator, 2 fan radiator and a 3 fan radiator. If I am running a lot of hardware and I am going to overclock I would say the 2 or 3 fan radiator is the way to go, but I am undecided on which one, as there isn't a lot of price difference.

Reservoir ~$26
This is easy. There are soem options here, but really it's just a place for the liquid to sit at, so I think the obvious choice is the simple Swiftech MCRES-Micro Hi-Flo Reservoir (SFF) - 3/8 & 1/2in. The other options seem too fancy to me. (list of options for the reservoir)

Pump ~$85
Again most of the options are swiftech. The rest of the products available here seem to have less information which shows a lack of commitment by the company in my eyes. In this case I can't decide between the Swiftech MCP355 3/8in Water Pump

Waterblocks ~$no idea ;)
Here is were I'm stuck. There are millions of options here from every brand. Here is a link to the different brands and then the sub options that are available: Waterblocks
Anyway, I have looked at this some more. I have found this water block for my CPU: APOGEE™ Drive
For my GPU: Komodo GTX275-P897 unfortunately I only found this on the swiftech website (125 dollars!!!)
hdd: Thermaltake Aquabay M4 HDD Waterblock (not sure about this one though, do I really need it?)
RAM: don't think it is needed
Motherboard: I'm guessing that the clock would need cooling... But I can't find block for that.

Tubing, Clamps etc. ~$50
I'm guessing this just depends on the other hardware and what I want in colors. But the link to the options is here: Tubing
The same with the clamps etc.

Fans ~$60 (for good fans)
Here I would have to get 2/3 depending on the radiator. What are some good brands for fans?

PS: This setup, excluding the water blocks, will cost around 275 dollars, but the water blocks seem very expensive.

Last edited:

davidandersson

What about a reservoir?

I'll start getting parts soon, this will be quit fun I recon...

Do you have any suggestions on a gpu cooler? Because the one I found on the swiftech website was 125 dollars, which is a lot in my eyes, since the cpu cooler is half that...

Also your suggested website charges a lot for the shipping because they don't have a cheep option for international shipping. The cheapest I found is 28 dollars, whereas on the xoixide website they offer 5 dollar shipping... I'm just trying them out by ordering a reservoir so that I will be more sure about the website when I start ordering more expensive stuff...

Last edited:

just a noob

What about a reservoir?

Do you have any suggestions on a gpu cooler? Because the one I found on the swiftech website was 125 dollars, which is a lot in my eyes, since the cpu cooler is half that...

Also your suggested website charges a lot for the shipping because they don't have a cheep option for international shipping. The cheapest I found is 28 dollars, whereas on the xoixide website they offer 5 dollar shipping... I'm just trying them out by ordering a reservoir so that I will be more sure about the website when I start ordering more expensive stuff...

Whatever, it's your money, not mine

bomberboysk

What about a reservoir?

If you are in AU you should use Pc Case Gear:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_160

davidandersson

They seem good, but the only thing that I'm still missing is the waterblocks which are hard and expensive to get. Not a lot of resellers offer them, neither does pccasegear. They all offer the CPU waterblock for i7 but not for quad, and the only other place than swiftechs website I have found the correct GPU cooling device is on ebay...

Would anybody be interested if I made an article about how I installed the liquid cooling system with pictures? Or has that been done?

Gabe63

This will sound like I am making a joke but think about it.

If what you plan to do costs more then this is the answer. Sell the GTX 275 for $150 and buy a 5850 for $300. You will get a faster card and they do not run hot...

I am not trying to be a smart a$$. I have the GTX 470 in my sig but I just returned it for a 5850. The GTX 470 not only ran hot it made everything else hot. I could not even touch the back of my computer case, MOBO, or TV card. There is just no way that is a good thing. The card did play well. I though about more cooling but why?

davidandersson

Looks pretty good... But that sounds like an system upgrade in itself, so I think I'll go forward with CPU liquid cooling but have a system that is up for far more than just the cpu, then get myself a new GPU and get some waterblocks for that and then have some fun overclocking :)

At 370 ish dollars, what are some other cards that are at the same price range?

davidandersson

I think I'll go for the 5850... Should I go gigabyte? Or something ells, asus is most expensive... Whats the difference anyway? (Powercolor / HIS / Gigabyte / Asus, from lowest to highest price, all around the 350 dollar mark (AUD is very close to USD)

Also I have a choice of fans. What brand should I get? The brands I can choose from are: Ritno, Coolmaster, Thermaltake, Noctua and Antec, all within reasonable price of each other.

ScottALot

Well, Noctua's are high-quality, but they're ugly mothers. Out of all of those, I'd think that the Cooler Masters have highest CFM/Noise ratio. (Cooler Master R4?) I'd trust Gigabyte and ASUS. ASUS is very high quality AFAIK, so the extra 10-15$ is usually worth it, but anything more than that is a little overpriced.

davidandersson

I can't see an R4, but there is a rifle bearing blade fan?

anyway, I don't really care about aesthetics when it comes to a fan that I will mount on a radiator to cool my pc :)
ASUS is 36 dollars more than the gigabyte version of the GPU... gigabyte is about 5 dollars more than the other two... will 36 dollars be worth it?